• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge coronet 440

From my research Dodge produced around 960 Coronet 440's with the 383hp.
1,201 according to Hagerty...but you know how that goes.
934 according to mymopar.com...

Pretty rare any way you slice it.

Vin # is WH23H8GXXXXX. Is still has the fender tag. Car is a project but other than some rust holes in the trunk pan and needs a trunk lid it's fairly solid. I drove it about 7 miles Sunday and it ran good. Anytime you find an old dodge that's not green or brown is rare. The interior is original and complete but it needs the seats recovered.
Kind of neat the 383hp were available in the coronet 440 hardtop but the superbees only came in the post or sedan body in 68.
Yep, '68 Bees were only pillared coupe's.
(Pronounced with a long "AAAA" at the end if you're a fancy talker - cooo-PAAAAAA. :) )

If I had to paint mine the trim would have been long gone. Has to be like 30 little holes down each side, right on the body line crease. Let me know what it’s like trying to fill them in under the rear pillar! Admittedly sometimes I regret buying a 440 model for that reason.

Looking forward to seeing some progress! Keep us posted.

I had rather have a hardtop 440 model than a sedan with a post.

You have a very valuable Coronet 440, I would leave it alone! most guys then would buy a Roadrunner or superbee . I know, because I rode in them back then when new, and I am really Old! Also, the Insurance was cheaper on a coronet VS the BEE or Runner. in1968 and 69 dodge and Plymouth used the H code in the VIN for both the 330 HP and the 335 HP 383 engine. The Coronet non superbee got the 330HP engine. 333hp was reserved for superbee and Roadrunner.
Coronet, Satellite and Charger got the 330 hp. 383.
they shared the 10:0 compression ratio,exhaust manifolds,and Intake manifolds. HP carb on 335HP, and LP carb on 330 HP. The earlier post sheet shows the engine to be 330 HP. In any event you have a valuable car with that correct engine, and Chrysler admitted in disbelief that the lower perfomance cam engine came within 5 HP . In my superbee the 335 came with double row timing chain, windage tray, and the 440 Magum cam,lifters,and springs. Those were not in the 330 HP. It had the same cam as the 383 Two barrel engine.
My superbee 383 was stamped HP on the block, my Satellite 383 is not.
side by side back in the day on the street the driver was the difference between the two, not the engine.

My 68 coronet future project.
A1064D92-8F54-465F-A18F-19737DBB42DA.png
A110B36A-CBA1-4532-840D-B80812563ECC.png
DA671D4C-96E1-4F38-A735-5265B3E8DB54.jpeg

I had a 68 2 door post back in 1989. slant six with a four on the floor, all original. A tree had fallen on it during a Tornado. Pretty Blue color!
I have a 69 now.

041.JPG

The hardtops may have been (subjectively) "prettier", but the post coupes were stronger structures -
and therefore, more popular with the drag racing dudes.

You have a very valuable Coronet 440, I would leave it alone! most guys then would buy a Roadrunner or superbee . I know, because I rode in them back then when new, and I am really Old! Also, the Insurance was cheaper on a coronet VS the BEE or Runner. in1968 and 69 dodge and Plymouth used the H code in the VIN for both the 330 HP and the 335 HP 383 engine. The Coronet non superbee got the 330HP engine. 333hp was reserved for superbee and Roadrunner.
they shared the 10:0 compression ratio,exhaust manifolds,and Intake manifolds. HP carb on 335HP, and LP carb on 330 HP. The earlier post sheet shows the engine to be 330 HP. In any event you have a valuable car with that correct engine, and Chrysler admitted in disbelief that the lower perfomance cam engine came within 5 HP . In my superbee the 335 came with double row timing chain, windage tray, and the 440 Magum cam,lifters,and springs. Those were not in the 330 HP. It had the same cam as the 383 Two barrel engine.
side by side back in the day on the street the driver was the difference between the two, not the engine.

The block has the hp stamp.

The hardtops may have been (subjectively) "prettier", but the post coupes were stronger structures -
and therefore, more popular with the drag racing dudes.

I prefer the look of the hardtop. They all need frame connectors.

You have a very valuable Coronet 440, I would leave it alone!

Respectfully, I'm not sure that "valuable" has the same meaning as with a Super Bee or Coronet R/T. I think you were correct in saying that you bought a Super Bee or Roadrunner if you wanted "youthful" because to me the 440 model was like a secretary's car. Guess some happened to come equipped with a 383 because it was an available option and 950 or so people said "OK sure, why not?" Have to think the majority of 440-level buyers were probably less interested in performance. And really, no one is paying Barret Jackson money for a Coronet 440 even if it is in perfect condition, has a desirable color and was a factory 383. This is all speculation on my part but you get my drift.

NICE.

Insurance beater Super Bee in disguise.

If the engine has 383hp stamped on the block what hp rating is it? I was thinking that 383 4 barrel cars that came with a/c had the 330hp engine.

Respectfully, I'm not sure that "valuable" has the same meaning as with a Super Bee or Coronet R/T. I think you were correct in saying that you bought a Super Bee or Roadrunner if you wanted "youthful" because to me the 440 model was like a secretary's car. Guess some happened to come equipped with a 383 because it was an available option and 950 or so people said "OK sure, why not?" Have to think the majority of 440-level buyers were probably less interested in performance. And really, no one is paying Barret Jackson money for a Coronet 440 even if it is in perfect condition, has a desirable color and was a factory 383. This is all speculation on my part but you get my drift.

Would be a way for some crafty person to beat the insurance company.

I owned quite a few 68's and 69's, and in 68 the HP stamp was on the superbee and roadrunner only at 335 horsepower. According to ma mopar documentation, that was an advertiising tool to separate the bee and runner from the other B bodies. the 330 horse cam is a good cam, and is actually the same as found in the stock chrysler 440 regular gas and single exhaust engine those years.I am restoring my 69 383 Cuda right now, and have debated as to which cam to use, as the cuda was rated 330 horsepower as well. being a four speed, I am leaning toward the 335 HP(440 HP) cam. the new cams have been changed to tolerate the new fuels, so The engine will have that great sound the original bee had.

I owned quite a few 68's and 69's, and in 68 the HP stamp was on the superbee and roadrunner only at 335 horsepower. According to ma mopar documentation, that was an advertiising tool to separate the bee and runner from the other B bodies. the 330 horse cam is a good cam, and is actually the same as found in the stock chrysler 440 regular gas and single exhaust engine those years.I am restoring my 69 383 Cuda right now, and have debated as to which cam to use, as the cuda was rated 330 horsepower as well. being a four speed, I am leaning toward the 335 HP(440 HP) cam. the new cams have been changed to tolerate the new fuels, so The engine will have that great sound the original bee had.

The engine in my car has the HP stamp and appears to be original.

The block has the hp stamp.
hey, another way to tell is the carb number. also every one I owned came with 2:76 rear unless ordered with 3:23.9Fender tag) then, that engine should have the last eight of the VIN on the block near the oil sending unit. if it is, then it contradicts the chrysler books. That would be a great car to have
The engine in my car has the HP stamp and appears to be original.
that is a great find, as mopar says they didn't do that. but that doesn't mean anything any more. Mopar did a lot of crazy things.. The Coronet brochure shows only the 330HP available,so another couple things to look at is the carb number,if the original, and if it has the 3:23 rear. all those I owned had 2:76 unless the option of 3:23 is on the fender tag.unfortunately the only other way to know is if you rebuild it, and find the HP parts inside. I think it is great to have the car period, if the vin is on the block and transmission, you scored!
I am curious as to what is on the tag, can you post it?

hey, another way to tell is the carb number. also every one I owned came with 2:76 rear unless ordered with 3:23.9Fender tag) then, that engine should have the last eight of the VIN on the block near the oil sending unit. if it is, then it contradicts the chrysler books. That would be a great car to have

that is a great find, as mopar says they didn't do that. but that doesn't mean anything any more. Mopar did a lot of crazy things.. The Coronet brochure shows only the 330HP available,so another couple things to look at is the carb number,if the original, and if it has the 3:23 rear. all those I owned had 2:76 unless the option of 3:23 is on the fender tag.unfortunately the only other way to know is if you rebuild it, and find the HP parts inside. I think it is great to have the car period, if the vin is on the block and transmission, you scored!
I am curious as to what is on the tag, can you post it?

What does the H stand for in the vin # for the engine code? I do have the original carb and I will check it tomorrow . I know it is a 1968 block with 383hp on the pad and appears to be original. I'm always open to learn

Looks like someone else has scored.
1968 Dodge Coronet 440 for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-908771

What does the H stand for in the vin # for the engine code? I do have the original carb and I will check it tomorrow . I know it is a 1968 block with 383hp on the pad and appears to be original. I'm always open to learn

Looks like someone else has scored.
1968 Dodge Coronet 440 for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-908771
H refers to the 383 four barrel engine. chrysler used the same Letter for both engine options.
I could forsee someone ordering a 68 but told no superbee hardtops, so they agreed to sell him a Hardtop and somehow got the 335 engine option. I see only one part number for the carbs. also, look at the transmission part number, as the two options had different transmissions. if your trans has a 2801541, or 2892093. it is the 335HP.
if your transmission has a 2801543 or 2892031 you have the 330 HP 383 option.

That car was for sale for a long time. Considered calling about it when I was looking but didn't like the dark green.

So I looked on my build sheet, the build code for the trans is 031 which according to the above post would mean the engine is the 330 hp version. I looked at the bottom rear of the engine, no HP stamp that I could see.

As far as the engine internals, the pistons are flat tops that are above the deck and I'm pretty confident they're original, the bore is standard. The previous owner told me he 'rebuilt' the engine (to what level I'm not sure) and used the "Roadrunner" 335 hp cam in it. I'll be honest, I'm not sure if I would have known the difference either way.

I changed the oil pan gasket recently and there's a double roller timing chain but looks like it could be a later addition. When I took the pan off, there was no windage tray though it has one now. The crank was not drilled for a 4 speed.

Not sure if the distributor was a dual point or not, the points and condenser were replaced with a Pertronix unit.

As stated previously, it had the HP exhaust manifolds, they're on my shelf. Also according to my build sheet my car was not equipped with dual exhaust or, at least there is no number underneath that option.

And again, my car has the 3.23 Sure Grip rear. I was stoked to see that when I first got it. The pinion seal and housing gasket leak but it's a Sure grip!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back