• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge coronet 440

That car was for sale for a long time. Considered calling about it when I was looking but didn't like the dark green.

So I looked on my build sheet, the build code for the trans is 031 which according to the above post would mean the engine is the 330 hp version. I looked at the bottom rear of the engine, no HP stamp that I could see.

As far as the engine internals, the pistons are flat tops that are above the deck and I'm pretty confident they're original, the bore is standard. The previous owner told me he 'rebuilt' the engine (to what level I'm not sure) and used the "Roadrunner" 335 hp cam in it. I'll be honest, I'm not sure if I would have known the difference either way.

I changed the oil pan gasket recently and there's a double roller timing chain but looks like it could be a later addition. When I took the pan off, there was no windage tray though it has one now. The crank was not drilled for a 4 speed.

Not sure if the distributor was a dual point or not, the points and condenser were replaced with a Pertronix unit.

As stated previously, it had the HP exhaust manifolds, they're on my shelf. Also according to my build sheet my car was not equipped with dual exhaust or, at least there is no number underneath that option.

And again, my car has the 3.23 Sure Grip rear. I was stoked to see that when I first got it. The pinion seal and housing gasket leak but it's a Sure grip!
The HP stamp would be under the distributer. the two engines shared the same 10:0 compression, which is why they ran so well.the main difference is the redline between the two, but they were hard to tell apart.With the gas today, I am not sure i wouldn't use the more mild one of the two. The two used the same manifolds, and carb.
if you have the H code the car had duels at one time. they were standard equipment.
also, The suspension and rear end was all the same as the 383 superbee.
as I said, Chrysler wanted something new to sell, which is why they made the 335 hp option.
The standard 330hp car was for all Intents and purposes the same car.Just no bulge hood or scoop, or tail tips,stripes,etc.

What does the H stand for in the vin # for the engine code? I do have the original carb and I will check it tomorrow . I know it is a 1968 block with 383hp on the pad and appears to be original. I'm always open to learn

Looks like someone else has scored.
1968 Dodge Coronet 440 for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-908771

let’s see if this helps.....

Numerous decoders show H as the 335 HP versions. Sometimes this accurate and sometimes it is not.

H in 68 only means 383-4 bbl. The same code was used in A,B, and C bodies. All versions have different HP ratings so the H does not tell you the rating. You have to look at the application.

For 1968 B bodies, the 335 horse version was only available in Road Runners and Super Bees with either transmission and without A/C. No other 68 B body got the 335 horse version. (69 and 70 are different). Meaning......no 68 Coronet 440s with the 335 horse version. It would come with a 330 horse version.

Depending on the plant and time of year, the VIN may be stamped on the back of the block near the oil sender. Check to see if the block is stamped and if the VIN matches your car.

If the VIN is not there, check the front pad for the engine assembly date and see how it matches your car’s Scheduled Production Date.

The HP stamp would be under the distributer. the two engines shared the same 10:0 compression, which is why they ran so well.the main difference is the redline between the two, but they were hard to tell apart.With the gas today, I am not sure i wouldn't use the more mild one of the two. The two used the same manifolds, and carb.
if you have the H code the car had duels at one time. they were standard equipment.
also, The suspension and rear end was all the same as the 383 superbee.
as I said, Chrysler wanted something new to sell, which is why they made the 335 hp option.
The standard 330hp car was for all Intents and purposes the same car.Just no bulge hood or scoop, or tail tips,stripes,etc.

No HP stamp on mine, at least from what I could see. I don't know what the max rpm of my engine is but it has not been up past 5,000 very much, I run out of road with the 3.23, gears. Frankly though it's pretty tired, leaks like crazy and the lifters are noisy, it's definitely coming out for something with a little more oomph that does not hemorrhage fluids. I'll keep it with the car though.

I do think a bulge hood adds a subtle something to these cars, the hoods are loooong.

Sorry to get off track from the OP but I appreciate the insight on these cars. Guess they are somewhat unique from a historical perspective.

No HP stamp on mine, at least from what I could see. I don't know what the max rpm of my engine is but it has not been up past 5,000 very much, I run out of road with the 3.23, gears. Frankly though it's pretty tired, leaks like crazy and the lifters are noisy, it's definitely coming out for something with a little more oomph that does not hemorrhage fluids. I'll keep it with the car though.

I do think a bulge hood adds a subtle something to these cars, the hoods are loooong.

Sorry to get off track from the OP but I appreciate the insight on these cars. Guess they are somewhat unique from a historical perspective.
Hey there are many members old like me here, and are happy to Help. That is a great engine when fresh. I saw many a 383 whack a 440, because the guys thought the mere fact a 440 was there was enough. I know, I have one! you had to know how to drive. In those days most of the Highway patrol cars were 383 engines. The just went further on a tank. My brother was a county sheriff for 30 years, and they frequently went thru two tanks a night!(Arizona)

045 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Nice Coronet!! I'd put some wheels and tires on that 68 and drive and enjoy it just the way it is. I've been looking for a complete b body in decent shape just to daily drive for a few years now, can't find crap around my area. Sure ebay has a few now and then listed for 20 grand, too much for me.

What is the build date of the car?

IIRC (and 69CoronetRT will correct me if I don't) 1968 point five was the start of engine block VIN numbers.

If your car was an early build, it probably won't have them.

Mine has a HP on the pad so I will be investigating further. The car was parked in 1981 but it could have had an engine change it appears original.

IIRC (and 69CoronetRT will correct me if I don't) 1968 point five was the start of engine block VIN numbers.

This is not a well documented item (but it could and should be...)

Initial research shows it depends on the plant. I've seen VINs in the 103 range (early build) for St. Louis plant.....
It seems like Jefferson started later than other plants.
Some sources state it was HP cars only but this would be easily challenged.

My car was a pretty early build, October 23, 1967. The VIN is stamped on the right rear of the block.

Last week I installed disc brakes. I replaced the upper control bushings and ball joints while I had it apart. Now I need to install the brake booster

pic8.jpg
pic9.jpg

It's red. The original paint is dull so it does look bronze in the pic.

Had to buy the whole car to get a good trunk lid. She's been sitting in a junkyard for 20 years.

17.jpg

BTW, those hubcaps are hard to find and EXPENSIVE! You don't want to know what I paid for mine.

BTW, those hubcaps are hard to find and EXPENSIVE! You don't want to know what I paid for mine.
The caps appear to be in nice condition. It’s amazing the car made for 52 years with its original hub caps.

Auto Transport Service
Back