• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Federal Power Steering Pump

steve340

Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if you could help with the best place to buy a rebuild kit for my steering pump.
There is a barrel inside that is damaged. I can get the pump done here but it needs more than a seal kit.
I see Roseville are selling OER rebuild pumps are they worth buying?
I live outside the US so a core charge is a problem.

The Federal pumps from what I can gather are not very reliable. The Saginaw pump is more reliable and easier to get parts for.
I have purchased a kit of 440 Source that has all the parts to change to a Saginaw pump.
The whole kit is the same price as the rebuilt Federal pump so I think that is the way to go.

If the barrel your talking about is the spring cartridge relieve valve, the answer is no. If you look at service manual that was machined to fit together. If either relief valve damaged, or bore you needed to replace the pump. A qualified repair shop could probably fix it, but if they are seriously corroded, may be best to find a good pump. Even original Mopar kits do not include those parts. Just seals and shims.

IMG_1003.JPG

Thanks for the reply. The Saginaw pump from 440 Source has arrived and been fitted.
Easy conversion that appears factory. The steering is working well.

Auto Transport Service
Back