• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 GTX Radiator and shroud puzzle!

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
So, I have a 68 GTX with a 440, Auto, and no air. I had my radiator re-cored about ten years ago by a local shop.
I slid in the radiator, (2898045) original to the car and tried to fit the shroud. The shroud that I have is a plastic
one, (2785434) and it's way too wide. I can't figure out what has happened over the last forty years!!!! Someone
take my original shroud? All of my research says that I should have a two-piece steel shroud, (2417423) Top, and
a (2417427) Bottom. It's a 22" radiator, and if I have to get another shroud, I'd like to get a plastic one that fits the
radiator because I think the steel shrouds look "Cheezie". Thanks for the help!

I think it should have a 26" radiator, since its a GTX and a 440. Does the radiator fit the support? Is it about the same size as the opening? Do the bolt holes on the radiator line up with the holes on the support?
Show us some pictures.

I think it should have a 26" radiator, since its a GTX and a 440. Does the radiator fit the support? Is it about the same size as the opening? Do the bolt holes on the radiator line up with the holes on the support?
Show us some pictures.

I may be wrong but a '68 GTX 440 with AUTOMATIC trans and NO A/C got the 22"
26" with 4-speed or A/C
But I may be mistaken...
Not sure how accurate this link is but ......
https://abodymopar.proboards.com/thread/50/radiator-numbers

According to your number Paulie, it's a 22" rad. The shroud is probably a 26". I believe my rad was a 22" when I first got the car, but I found a 26" cheap and installed that one for max cooling. I believe @Chi Town Runner is correct. 22" went in when not a 4-speed or A/C.

I always thought your X was a 4-speed??

Auto, Original 22", fits the opening, and I got this big Effin shroud that barely fits between the frame rails. The hole in the core support is only 22".
20221012_165619.jpg

There should be a corresponding fan shroud number in the parts book.
Auto, Original 22", fits the opening, and I got this big Effin shroud that barely fits between the frame rails. The hole in the core support is only 22".View attachment 1356645
What is your shroud number, plastic or metal?

So, I have a 68 GTX with a 440, Auto, and no air. I had my radiator re-cored about ten years ago by a local shop.
I slid in the radiator, (2898045) original to the car and tried to fit the shroud. The shroud that I have is a plastic
one, (2785434) and it's way too wide. I can't figure out what has happened over the last forty years!!!! Someone
take my original shroud? All of my research says that I should have a two-piece steel shroud, (2417423) Top, and
a (2417427) Bottom. It's a 22" radiator, and if I have to get another shroud, I'd like to get a plastic one that fits the
radiator because I think the steel shrouds look "Cheezie". Thanks for the help!
You are correct with the part numbers regarding the 2 piece metal shroud. That came with 440's with automatics and no a/c. The 2785434 shroud was for 383 a/c cars and 26" cores. The 18" direct drive fan and 1.24" spacer that came equipped with the metal shroud was 2863226 and 1825932 respectively.

Your radiator is 1968 B body 22 inch.

Your shroud is 1966 to 1969 B body 26 inch

Last edited:
Just as a tip-in, Fred (my '68 GTX) came with a 22" radiator from factory (2896045).
Code "45" on the build sheet...
440 auto/no a/c car.
I've still got that core around here somewheres...

I think I'm going to take Beekeeper's advice and buy the shroud from MegaParts. I really
like the plastic injection molded part! Thanks everyone for the help and input. Buying
and returning parts is not fun!

Auto Transport Service
Back