• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Hemi 727 Trans? Please Help ID

SuperNovass

Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score
I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me out. A friend of mine recently brought me this 727 trans that was found in a estate garage clean out. The rumor was the past owner had a Hemi car but I didn't think much of it. When I looked the trans over, I saw a few numbers on the pan rail and googled them. It looks like the J2801544 shows this came out of a 67-68 426 Hemi car? I also found the stamping on top of the bellhousing that reads, "8A179110". I believe this is the partial VIN of the car it came out of. The friend who brought it to me wants me to sell the transmission for him. I'm hoping to find the car the trans came out of so I can reunite it with the car. I'm mostly a GM guy so the Mopar lingo is more of a second or third language for me. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

P9211979.JPG

P9211981.JPG

P9211982.JPG

P9211983.JPG

P9211984.JPG

P9211985.JPG

P9211986.JPG

P9211987.JPG

P9211988.JPG

P9211989.JPG

You are correct on the partial VIN. It was in a 68 car. I don't have my book right now to verify the 67-68 Hemi trans, but do know that 67-68 did use the same automatic.

Thank you guys. Any insight on tracking down the car? I imagine I could figure out all the possible vins for cars produced at the Lynch plant?

Thanks,

Jason

After 55 years it's all about what's still inside as to value. The original car would be great if it still exists.

Jerry I disagree on insides. Sure would be nice, but having the "correct" part number case is far more important in my opinion. No one know what is inside your hemi block right? Much better parts options for a rebuild now a days vice using 60 year old parts.

Jerry I disagree on insides. Sure would be nice, but having the "correct" part number case is far more important in my opinion. No one know what is inside your hemi block right? Much better parts options for a rebuild now a days vice using 60 year old parts.
I agree if the transmission was upgraded over the years and also about the correct part number case. I'm just saying it's not worth as much if it's been treated to a standard rebuild and some of the Hemi only parts replaced with standard duty items. Sure it can be built to better than new today, but in my opinion is still just a core transmission to be rebuilt and to be purchased for the case value, which I agree is more being it is what it is.

After 55 years it's all about what's still inside as to value. The original car would be great if it still exists.
So.

What's it worth as a case core
Thank you for all the replies. I wish I knew what was inside the transmission. I don’t have much experience with automatics. I wouldn’t be against opening it up a bit to explore as long as I know that reassembly is possible without special tools etc. Figuring out a price may be challenging. I see one transmission with the same part number on eBay but I think the price may be ambitious.

Thanks again,

Jason

It sure seems improbable the internals were swapped with non-hemi transmission parts. When tranny shops do a swap, they swap the whole thing, case and all, so they can have the customer off the rack and out the door in a few hours.

Later, when they go to rebuild the core, they aren't pulling clutch packs and other parts off the shelf, instead they are rebuilding what's there. Perhaps replacing a worn/broken part here and there. In all likelihood, it's still a hemi transmission on the inside.

And as others have said, the hemi number on the case makes it valuable no matter what's inside.

There are a lot of things on eBay that are as you say ambitious. For one 68 owner the sky would be the limit, if that car exists. For others doing a correct 68 restoration buying a complete pig in the poke so to speak transmission with correct numbers, my guess 800-1000. Without those numbers it's a 200 dollar core that can be built into anything you want. This is just my opinion and everyone knows how opinions go. Your pictures indicate two things to me. It's sat for a long time, and two it has been into before.
I have one with those numbers fully built and ready for installation, it's probably a 67 because it doesn't have a partial VIN. I value it in the 2500-3000 range for comparison, and no it's not for sale.

Thanks again guys. I plan to get this trans listed for sale today. I will post it on eBay. I will also post it here for less. I appreciate all the input. I believe the majority of the value is on the case stamp itself. Jerry Hall, I appreciate your valuation. I understand that you don’t want to sell you trans but it kind of muddies the waters when you say you wouldn’t sell it for the price you put on it. I plan to pull the pan at the least to take pictures of what’s going on in there.

Thanks again,

Jason

Thanks again guys. I plan to get this trans listed for sale today. I will post it on eBay. I will also post it here for less. I appreciate all the input. I believe the majority of the value is on the case stamp itself. Jerry Hall, I appreciate your valuation. I understand that you don’t want to sell you trans but it kind of muddies the waters when you say you wouldn’t sell it for the price you put on it. I plan to pull the pan at the least to take pictures of what’s going on in there.

Thanks again,

Jason
Thanks, I have plans for it, if I live long enough. If not there is a price on it for my wife to unload it, probably quickly.

Thanks, I have plans for it, if I live long enough. If not there is a price on it for my wife to unload it, probably quickly.

I can certainly appreciate that. I need to put more prices on my stuff for that very reason.

I pulled the pan off the the trans. I don't know much about automatic transmissions but this looks clean inside and the fluid is not burned. There is some debris on the bottom of the pan but it looks more like debris from decades in storage with open orifices rather than clutch material, etc.

Thanks again guys,

Jason

P9252275.JPG

P9252276.JPG

P9252279.JPG

P9252283.JPG

P9252284.JPG

P9252285.JPG

Actually I would say it looks pretty fresh and clean inside.

It has a newer valve body in it or at least the rooster comb has been changed. Also should not have a blue pressure regulator spring. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back