• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Hemi Roadrunner Fender Tag and VIN validation?

I found the ad & it's a nice looking car. There's a few minor detail items needed under the hood, but nothing that can't be easily & inexpensively rectified.

1670023400526.png

Personally, I'm not a fan of the exhaust system though.

Somebody tried to steal it or didn't turn it far enough?

Several times I’ve gone w/I an hour from my place to help out a member by scouting a car for someone out of state. I just did it a couple of weeks ago on 70 Charger R/T for a guy from Connecticut. Advised him to run the other direction. You might try the same - there are plenty of members in the Chicagoland area. Post a request - someone will likely help you out - even if you are a GM guy…….Lol

This is a 1968 Hemi GTX tag that you can refer to if that will help. I’ve never decoded it but it should indicate 426 2X4 bbl 4 spd Dana. Hope this helps. It’s my buddies GTX that just sits sits sits.
E9D432E0-4727-4CAE-85CB-9D7F74AA530B.jpeg

nice catch. Than you.

ok I will bite.......you can send me a PM with the issue if you'd like I am curious as I can't see the discrepency. I deal strictly with 68 cars so curious for my knowledge.

ok I will bite.......you can send me a PM with the issue if you'd like I am curious as I can't see the discrepency. I deal strictly with 68 cars so curious for my knowledge.

Simple mistake....Two of the SO numbers were transposed in earlier posts and he caught it.

I talked to the last owner who put $45K in paint and $35K in rebuilding the engine, trans, and Dana 60 through Kilpatrick racing engines. The paint was done by a well known local shop. The last owner said he owned it for six years and he was the third owner. I asked him if he had the names of the other owners and contact information and he said no, He did say all of the body panels were original an that the correct number was under the weatherstrip on the left side of the trunk rail. He said him and a friend checked the numbers on the engine and transmission, they matched but no Dave Wise type of verification. He said no build sheet in the rear seat was found when he did the paint work. No certi card or any other titles or bill of sales were available from him. I did ask him why he put so much money in the car and he said he wanted it perfect mechanically and to have a laser straight body.

Thus this is why I'm so interested in everyone's educated opinion on the fender and VIN tag and the engine/transmission stamp for it being the real deal. Car is stunning in the pictures but it may just be "lipstick on a pig" . Let me know your opinions please.
Lipstick on a pig, wow I can only imagine what you would think of my car. :rolleyes:

I found the ad & it's a nice looking car. There's a few minor detail items needed under the hood, but nothing that can't be easily & inexpensively rectified.

View attachment 1381655

Personally, I'm not a fan of the exhaust system though.
With my limited knowledge this is what I have found wrong with the car so far. Some items are going to be expensive ??? Let me know how this GM guy is doing with the details by looking at the photos and talking to the previous owner on their site.

Items I believe are not correct?
A. Brake booster is not correct?
B. Master cylinder not correct-lines should exit on the fender side so you can remove the valve covers.
C. Has a Dana 60 rear end not original-SB 8.75-3:23 according to fender tag. No drain plug so might be from at least a 1969. Can't see BOM
D. Exhaust manifolds are replaced by headers? These parts sound expensive?
E. No spare wheel or tire.
F. Replacement windshield.
G. Electronic ignition instead of dual points?
H. VIN Stamp on the engine and transmission original to the car? To me the most important item-Opinions?
I. Radio does not work.
J. Is the VIN Tag original to the car? Rivets correct? Third most important item-Opinions?
K. No broadcast sheet found in the rear seat?
L. Fender tag looks to be original and correct? Second most important item-Opinions?
M. Picture of the glove box liner looks like reproduction parts? Staples look brand new?

Items that look correct?
A. Hemi torque box's have the reinforcement plate where the leaf springs bolt through it.
B. Hemi reinforced transmission mount.
C. Hemi reinforcement triangular plate behind the rear leaf spring shackle.
D. Interior looks to be in very good condition.
E. Radiator support stamp looks correct in A8R254680. Owner said the trunk stamp under the weatherstrip is correct?
F. Original sheet metal including trunk floor, floors, and body panels?
G. New engine wiring harness-possible the entire car?
H. Original seats, headliner, door panels, dash, seat belts (Date)
I. Has the hemi reinforcing plate across the K-Member?
J. Front brake calipers appear to be correct?
K. Fan, shroud, pulleys look original (Date)?
L. Left rear leaf spring is 6 leaf's and has a part#4539796.
M. Right rear leaf spring is 7 leaf's and has a part # but can't read it in the photos.
N. Factory undercoat car. No rust observed on frame rails etc.?

Last edited:
Several times I’ve gone w/I an hour from my place to help out a member by scouting a car for someone out of state. I just did it a couple of weeks ago on 70 Charger R/T for a guy from Connecticut. Advised him to run the other direction. You might try the same - there are plenty of members in the Chicagoland area. Post a request - someone will likely help you out - even if you are a GM guy…….Lol
Thanks for the tip. I do have a new Demon so I'm not totally brainwashed. Also have had probably 10 Dana 60's in my life for street and drag cars. So I know a good bit about those rear ends. I'm sure this is going to be an adventure!

With my limited knowledge this is what I have found wrong with the car so far. Some items are going to be expensive ??? Let me know how this GM guy is doing with the details by looking at the photos and talking to the previous owner on their site.

Items I believe are not correct?
A. Brake booster is not correct?
B. Master cylinder not correct-lines should exit on the fender side so you can remove the valve covers.
C. Has a Dana 60 rear end not original-SB 8.75-3:23 according to fender tag. No drain plug so might be from at least a 1969. Can't see BOM
D. Exhaust manifolds are replaced by headers? These parts sound expensive?
E. No spare wheel or tire.
F. Replacement windshield.
G. Electronic ignition instead of dual points?
H. VIN Stamp on the engine and transmission original to the car? To me the most important item-Opinions?
I. Radio does not work.
J. Is the VIN Tag original to the car? Rivets correct? Third most important item-Opinions?
K. No broadcast sheet found in the rear seat?
L. Fender tag looks to be original and correct? Second most important item-Opinions?
M. Picture of the glove box liner looks like reproduction parts? Staples look brand new?

Items that look correct?
A. Hemi torque box's have the reinforcement plate where the leaf springs bolt through it.
B. Hemi reinforced transmission mount.
C. Hemi reinforcement triangular plate behind the rear leaf spring shackle.
D. Interior looks to be in very good condition.
E. Radiator support stamp looks correct in A8R254680. Owner said the trunk stamp under the weatherstrip is correct?
F. Original sheet metal including trunk floor, floors, and body panels?
G. New engine wiring harness-possible the entire car?
H. Original seats, headliner, door panels, dash, seat belts (Date)
I. Has the hemi reinforcing plate across the K-Member?
J. Front brake calipers appear to be correct?
K. Fan, shroud, pulleys look original (Date)?
L. Left rear leaf spring is 6 leaf's and has a part#4539796.
M. Right rear leaf spring is 7 leaf's and has a part # but can't read it in the photos.
N. Factory undercoat car. No rust observed on frame rails etc.?

A lot of those things under the hood are fixable and I'll admit that I didn't catch the Dana. But you're right, there's a bit that is incorrect & to make it correct (if that's the seller's desire), I can see another 10 grand going into the car. I think a more realistic price for this car as is would be more in the 115 - 125 range.

Its a nice car with the issues mentioned above.
If you have a 150k budget I think you could find a better Hemi B Body.

Ballast resistor
P/S pump cap
Negative cable

Brake booster $500 or $600 at least.
Dana 60 to 8.75 will be a plus dollar wise.
Exhaust manifolds repo's $1000 date coded originals more.
Stock exhaust system $1200 or more.
Labor to install if you don't do it yourself, but you time and trouble is worth money. $2000 to $3000 there.
That's some money to add to purchase price.

So, what happened to this car? Did Demon pass on it?

Auto Transport Service
Back