• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX 440 Restoration

My dad didn't do much work on cars but whenever that hood went up, I was right there with my head under it!
Growing up we raced dirt bikes at a high competitive level so Thursday/Friday nights were bike tear down days and if we rode the bike we had to know how to work on it and then as we got older and all of us failed to make a lucrative career out of motocross we started doing cars and then it was every weekend all weekend working on cars.

I have a 69 GTX if you need any reference pics or measurement. They are different but much in common.
Good luck

Hello Everyone
Next weekend I am picking up my wife’s grandpas 68’ GTX (440) to restore for him. He is getting older so I volunteered to restore the car so he can enjoy it again while he still can. He has had it since it was new and was once his pride and joy.
Any helpful tips, advice, knowledge and experience is welcomed and appreciated.
Where do you guys prefer to source your parts? Anything in particular I need to pay extra close attention to with this car?
I have experience with rebuilding alot of GM/Ls based vehicles but not alot with Mopar.
I do own a 22’ Scat Pack Charger but haven’t really had to do much to it.
Thank you guys ahead of time.
I will pick the car up next weekend and will post pictures as the build progresses if you all are interested.

Oh. before I forget. . . . Driver's side lug nuts are all Left hand thread! Righty-Loosey!
Passanger side lug nuts are all Right hand thread! Righty-Tighty!

I snapped a couple off before the light bulb went on; I was a kid and I knew everything.......

OP, welcome to the site; my dog sat on my 68

I am just finishing up with my 68 GTX build. I am retired and spent the last 4 years on my build. Good luck don’t hurry.

3FA3AF23-22FD-4427-8032-924C43B29410.jpeg

Hello Everyone
Next weekend I am picking up my wife’s grandpas 68’ GTX (440) to restore for him. He is getting older so I volunteered to restore the car so he can enjoy it again while he still can. He has had it since it was new and was once his pride and joy.
Where do you guys prefer to source your parts? Anything in particular I need to pay extra close attention to with this car?
I have experience with rebuilding alot of GM/Ls based vehicles but not alot with Mopar.
I will pick the car up next weekend and will post pictures as the build progresses if you all are interested.
I almost have my 68 Sport Satellite driving, its not the first b body I've worked on. This one will be a dependable mostly original tire burner. If you have questions or problems with the car please ask, like most of the folks on this site I'm happy to share my opinion! Take lots of pictures of the car and everything you remove from it, the further you get into it more of its secrets will be revealed. This pic is when I got it

IMG_4172.JPG

Last edited:
I would take plenty of pictures and keep them filed in easy to find folders. You will need these for reference as to wire routing, brake lines, fuel lines, dash mounting, etc. Also, when dismantling certain items, it is good to take pictures showing the steps and positions of parts to assist in reassembly.

Making lists as you go is also a big help. Parts missing, damaged, etc.

I usually put nuts, bolts, clips, etc. in zip lock bags with a note inserted telling me what they are. i.e. fender bolts, door hinge bolts, linkages and so forth. Another list would be which box you have certain parts in. I label them Box #1, #2 etc. and then keep a note book that lists each box and the parts bags they contain.

These restorations can take a long time, and I have found my memory isn't big enough to contain all the information involved in reassembling.

My current project is a 1968 Plymouth GTX 440. Unfortunately someone else had dismantled most of it so I don't have complete records like I did on my signature car restoration.

Hmm.....wonder what's up. Last seen in late Oct of 23.

Hello Everyone
I'm sure you already noticed that right below your post 68 Coronet R/T is also restoring a 68 GTX, make sure you read through everything he has done and I'm sure he would not mind a few questions. Just click follow on his link.

Auto Transport Service
Back