• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX 440 Restoration

Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Next weekend I am picking up my wife’s grandpas 68’ GTX (440) to restore for him. He is getting older so I volunteered to restore the car so he can enjoy it again while he still can. He has had it since it was new and was once his pride and joy.
Any helpful tips, advice, knowledge and experience is welcomed and appreciated.
Where do you guys prefer to source your parts? Anything in particular I need to pay extra close attention to with this car?
I have experience with rebuilding alot of GM/Ls based vehicles but not alot with Mopar.
I do own a 22’ Scat Pack Charger but haven’t really had to do much to it.
Thank you guys ahead of time.
I will pick the car up next weekend and will post pictures as the build progresses if you all are interested.

That’s extremely thoughtful of you! I’m sure he will be smiling ear to ear when he gets back behind that wheel! :thumbsup: :)

That’s extremely thoughtful of you! I’m sure he will be smiling ear to ear when he gets back behind that wheel! :thumbsup: :)
Thank you and that’s the goal. He has given so much to his family I think it’s time some one gives back to him. I’m just so used to working on Ls projects and most of the products being available by 1001 vendors that this will be a change lol

Lots of help here .....my preferred vendors are .... legendary for interior products.....megaparts for reproduction items and.....auto metal direct for metal

We need some pic's so we can figure it out! I have a 68 GTX that's 95% restored. It's been a long
journey, but not skimping. Good Luck!

We need some pic's so we can figure it out! I have a 68 GTX that's 95% restored. It's been a long
journey, but not skimping. Good Luck!
Thank you and The tires that are on it are shredded and it’s tucked in the corner of their garage so I have to find some wheels I can throw on it to get it out of their garage and onto my trailer and get into my backyard and then I will start taking pictures and pull the engine and trans.

Thank you and The tires that are on it are shredded and it’s tucked in the corner of their garage so I have to find some wheels I can throw on it to get it out of their garage and onto my trailer and get into my backyard and then I will start taking pictures and pull the engine and trans.
Oh boy, your first Mopar eh?
Whole different world from LSswap-whateverville....
Literally hundreds of places/vendors out there and the car itself is not put together like
you're used to, so be prepared to do a TON of research - starting with utilizing this sites'
"SEARCH" box on the upper right of every page.

drive thru service.jpg
Final piece of advice:
The car (1968 GTX) is considered a true pedigree car, meaning it needs to be brought
back to original in all regards if possible - it is not to be hacked up/"made my own" like another
entry-level type model would be.
I kinda like them myself:
newwelcome.jpg

search box.png

Oh. before I forget. . . . Driver's side lug nuts are all Left hand thread! Righty-Loosey!
Passanger side lug nuts are all Right hand thread! Righty-Tighty!

Oh. before I forget. . . . Driver's side lug nuts are all Left hand thread! Righty-Loosey!
Passanger side lug nuts are all Right hand thread! Righty-Tighty!
The first things I’d change out. :)

Thank you and that’s the goal. He has given so much to his family I think it’s time some one gives back to him. I’m just so used to working on Ls projects and most of the products being available by 1001 vendors that this will be a change lol
Yup, lots of vendors don't cater to the Mopar crowd just because they think the money isn't there....they are the ones losing out imo. But, there are plenty of us on this forum that have parts and well, some of us have lots of stuff and we're not getting any younger lol

If you GM Ls swap it ,you will wish you got balls cut off with a rubber band or dull butter knife... Anyway Mopar is a very unique world.. It’s not cheap and you need good connections and pay close attention. Welcome aboard, it’s a very nice project your taking on. It will be a very stunning car when completed... Best of luck and you came to the right place. There is so much knowledge here , just ask and get used to the search bar... Keep us posted with new pics!

@Hereformy68GTX Yeah, like F4 said....doing an LS swap to a Mopar is well, not easy and parts are really not available and the ones that are ain't cheap. Mopar parts are more expensive for a reason but when you deviate from Mopar parts, you're asking for a deep pocket of change.

If you GM Ls swap it ,you will wish you got balls cut off with a rubber band or dull butter knife... Anyway Mopar is a very unique world.. It’s not cheap and you need good connections and pay close attention. Welcome aboard, it’s a very nice project your taking on. It will be a very stunning car when completed... Best of luck and you came to the right place. There is so much knowledge here , just ask and get used to the search bar... Keep us posted with new pics!
No plans on Ls swapping it. Just want to rebuild it stock. I mentioned GM/Ls just to put out there that I have experience restoring cars just not Mopars.
Thank you, this is by far the best forum out there and I appreciate all the love you guys have showed me on day one.

@Hereformy68GTX Yeah, like F4 said....doing an LS swap to a Mopar is well, not easy and parts are really not available and the ones that are ain't cheap. Mopar parts are more expensive for a reason but when you deviate from Mopar parts, you're asking for a deep pocket of change.
No I wasn’t planning on Ls swapping it at all. I mentioned Ls platform to put out there that I have experience restoring cars just not Mopars.
almost 2 years ago I got a new Charger Scatpack with the Daytona package and ever sense then I have been growing more in love with Mopar.
My dad was a GM guy and while I still have a fond love for GM I’m also loving Mopar.

Oh boy, your first Mopar eh?
Whole different world from LSswap-whateverville....
Literally hundreds of places/vendors out there and the car itself is not put together like
you're used to, so be prepared to do a TON of research - starting with utilizing this sites'
"SEARCH" box on the upper right of every page.

View attachment 1530035
Final piece of advice:
The car (1968 GTX) is considered a true pedigree car, meaning it needs to be brought
back to original in all regards if possible - it is not to be hacked up/"made my own" like another
entry-level type model would be.
I kinda like them myself:
View attachment 1530037

View attachment 1530034
Thank you and yes there will definitely be a learning curve for me on this one lol but it something I’m really excited and looking forward too.
Only thing I’m a little sad about is my kid isn’t old enough yet to hold the flash light in the wrong spot lol

Yup, lots of vendors don't cater to the Mopar crowd just because they think the money isn't there....they are the ones losing out imo. But, there are plenty of us on this forum that have parts and well, some of us have lots of stuff and we're not getting any younger lol
Lol this reminds me of my dad and his parts wall of stuff waiting to be used

Thank you and yes there will definitely be a learning curve for me on this one lol but it something I’m really excited and looking forward too.
Only thing I’m a little sad about is my kid isn’t old enough yet to hold the flash light in the wrong spot lol
Some of the best father/son memories, that "holding the light" bit. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back