• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

Went ahead and ground down the welds and removed the remainder of the old sway bar mounts.
Lower Conrtol Arm Brackets removed.JPG

Decided to disassemble the disc brake calipers:
Disc Brake Calipers.JPG

The parts number match up to a 1975 Dodge Dart and similar. New pistons and seals are available.
Here's what the piston wells looked like:
Disc Brake Caliper Piston Well.JPG

I soaked them in de-greaser and cleaned them up. The bores will clean up with a hone. Pistons, banjo bolts and air bleed screws will be reinstalled while media blasting the housings and coating with epoxy.

K-Frame and Calipers in epoxy:
K-Frame in Epoxy.JPG

Brake Calipers in Epoxy.JPG

Reassembled hood and clamped it together. 3M 4274 Duramix NVH sealer takes 24 hours to cure so hopefully tomorrow I can spot weld it into place.

Spot welded the hood together today.
Hood Spot Welds.JPG

Hood Spot Welds 1.JPG

Had a difficult time getting the spot weld setting right. Get one or two perfect 3 second welds and then blow through on the next one. I finally flattened a piece of copper pipe and clamped that behind the weld area to use as a heat sink. It helped a lot.

Ran a DA over the epoxy to show the low spots and problem areas. Black epoxy works great for this since the low spots retain their shine.
Hood Epoxy Sanded 1.JPG

Circled the problem areas:
Hood Low Spots Circled 1.JPG

This is my disaster area. Somebody took a body pick and did what I call a "cave and pave" in the center of the hood. I used a body hammer and dolly to flattened the low spots and this produced the high spot you see here. This will be a great spot for me to learn how to use my new shrinking disc and slap hammer while watching the Wray Schelin video that came with them.
Hood Diaster Area.JPG

Got the Sway Bar mount brackets from Hotchkiss and checked the fit.
The bolt hole and upper flange fit really nice:
Sway Bar Braket 1.JPG

The lower flange has a 1/8" gap and it is the same on both control arms:
Sway Bar Bracket.JPG

Makes me wish I didn't grind off these old welds:
Lower Control Arms Blasted.JPG

Welded the brackets on and prepped for epoxy:
Sway Bar Bracket 2.JPG

Sway Bar Bracket 3.JPG

Lower Control Arms in Epoxy.JPG

The hood inserts that hold the 440 emblems were done at the same time.

Scored a pair of fender mounted turn signals and a padded ashtray front on eBay recently:
Fender Mounted Turn Signals.JPG

Fender Mounted Turn Signals 1.JPG

Ashtray Padded.JPG

Starting the process of removing the roof skin. Decided to leave the drip rails in place and I hope to be able to repair and reinstall the original skin.
Roof Removal.JPG

Very true. I remember calling salvage yards and then having to drive there and personally look at the part before deciding whether it was worth the effort to pull it.

I forgot to mention that I got the turn signals and ashtray for less than 1/3 of the price most were listing them for. :)

Looks like the old girl may have had a key job and some point in her life.
Key Job.JPG

Key Job 1.JPG

Stripping the build primer off the paint to see what under there.
The roof appears to have had almost no paint on it at all.
Roof Being Stripped.JPG

Right quarter panel had some work done.
Quarter Panel Right Previous Repair.JPG

Here is a common problem I find when restoring cars. Rusted metal under the filler. This is one of the reasons that I apply epoxy primer to bare metal before doing filler work.
I admit sometimes I still slip back to filler on metal and there is nothing seriously wrong with that method however the epoxy will protect the metal and the filler adheres well to the epoxy.
Rust under Filler.JPG

Lower front portion of the quarter panel has more recent damage:
Quarter Panel Right Damage.JPG

Looks like some brazing done on the left sail panel as well:
Sail Panel Left Previous Repair.JPG

Removed the lead from the remaining roof skin seams:
Roof Skin Lead Removed Front Right.JPG

Roof Skin Lead Removed Front Left.JPG

Roof Skin Lead Removed Sail Panel Left.JPG

Soon I will be drilling spot welds till my patience runs out.

Removing the roof skin is proving to be more difficult than I expected.
The windshield flange went very smoothly using a 5/16" spot well drill.
A Pillar.JPG

The Flange areas are easy to separate after drilling by simply inserting a flat blade screw driver or using a steel chisel.
Windshield Flange 1.JPG

Windshield Flange.JPG

There are a lot of spot welds up the sides of the rear window. I think I counted 23 on the left side. They are spaced a bit farther apart across the top.
Back Window Flange.JPG

The problem areas are the drip rails. There is no room to get a screwdriver or chisel in there to separate the skin from the drip rail.
In this picture I used a 5/16" spot well cutter but found that it left some small portions of welded metal around the perimeter of the holes. Not much but enough to require leverage to break the roof skin free.
Drip Rail.JPG

Ended up destroying the drip rail in the process of trying to loosen the roof skin. In this case it wasn't a bad thing since it was more rusted than I previously thought.
I am trying a 3/8" spot weld cutter on the other side and will post some pictures when the skin is removed.

I should have added that if I was replacing the roof skin instead of trying to save it, a better method would be to use a cut off tool and cut the roof skin about 1" above the drip rail flange. This would allow removal of the skin and then give access to the spot welds so the drip rails could be saved.

Thanks.
Got the roof skin off today and it is rusted pretty badly especially along the flange area where its very thin.
Roof Skin Underside.JPG

Roof Skin Underside 1.JPG

Roof Support Structure Rust 1.JPG

The support structure has a couple of heavy rust areas that will need to be cut out and patched.
Roof Structure Sail panel Rust 1.JPG

Roof Structure Sail panel Rust.JPG

The majority of the structure is sound and will clean up nice. You see the rust behind the drip rail here:
Drip Rail Removal.JPG

Looks like a new roof skin and drip rails are in the future. For now media blasting, patching and epoxy.

Finally got the passenger's side drip rail off:
Drip Rail Right Removed.JPG

This revealed the extent of the rusted metal in the sail panel area:
Heavy Rust right sail panel.JPG

The driver's side is not as bad but still needs some attention:
Heavy Rust left sail panel.JPG

I don't know much about the history of this car. It was made in LA, CA so maybe it spent some time near the ocean? That is the only way I can figure it would have this much rust in areas that are normally protected from the elements.

Auto Transport Service
Back