• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

Great way to build muscle in your arms.....

Ha, you have done this before! Yes it takes a lot of patience and determination to drill out that many spot welds. More than once I had to walk away for a while in order to not lose it!
The 3/8" Blair spot weld cutters worked better than the 5/16" spot weld drills mainly because of the larger hole and they lasted longer. The smaller hole left some residual welded area around the perimeter in spots and caused some extra stress when removing the drip rails and roof skin.

Be sure to get some flapper wheels, I found those to be the best for dressing up the spot welds after you reinstall your parts. I got them for my die grinder & 4.5" grinder.

What grit did you order?
I have been using the Roloc discs but the wear out real fast.

I got 40-60 for knocking them down and 80-100-120 for finishing.
sand.jpg
sand1.jpg

I have a question on the shape of the metal in this heavily rusted area of the roof structure.
In this first picture you can see where the raised portion begins but then it appears as though there is an indented area where the rust hole is.
Roof Structure Rust Left SP 1 Marked Edition.jpg

Another view:
Roof Structure Rust Left SP.JPG

The other side is completely destroyed so offers no help:

Roof Structure Rust Right SP.JPG

My thinking is that the indented area was caused by the rust or previous damage. Does anyone have pictures of this area or know for sure what the shape is?

not currently, but one of my next moves is to peel the q-panels off and expose that same area. I will watch here until then and share the same when I get there.

I could only find one photo of the area online and it seems there is only the one indent below the quarter panel seam.

Media blasting the shell now, started with the roof support structure. Most of it seems to be in good shape with only three areas that need patches. The two shown earlier and one section over the passengers door.
Roof Support Outside Right.JPG

Roof Support Right Center.JPG

Roof Support Inside Right.JPG

Leftside Cowl.JPG

Decided to media blast everything first and then do the patches.
Left Inner Fender.JPG

Engine Compartment Left.JPG

Still chipping away at the media blasting. I use a small pressure blaster with a 3/32 tip and it is like using a pencil eraser at first. Takes about an hour to do a section with lots of crevices and and surface changes like this:
Left Inner Fender.JPG

Smoother surfaces go much quicker so I decided to tackle the front end first:
Media Blasting Progess.JPG

Media Blasting Progress 1.JPG

Working on the inside of the firewall:
Media Blasting Progress 2.JPG

Had to stop and remove the seam sealer and left over adhesive with a torch and chisel so while I was at it I did the entire car:
Seam Sealer Removal.JPG

Now to clean up the mess and get back to blasting.
Floors are getting replaced so blasting them won't be necessary. :thumbsup:

Still media blasting when I have time to work on the car.
Firewall looks to be very solid:
Firewall inside right.JPG

The passenger's front floor pan was extremely rusty so I blasted a small portion to see how bad it was. As the rust flakes disappeared little holes began showing up. Hard to see in the photo but there are quite a few of them.
Passenger floor swiss cheese.JPG

Cleaned up the door jamb and started on the pans under the rear seat. This area seems to be very solid as well.
Passenger door jamb.JPG

Still media blasting when I have time to work on the car.
Firewall looks to be very solid:
View attachment 734278

The passenger's front floor pan was extremely rusty so I blasted a small portion to see how bad it was. As the rust flakes disappeared little holes began showing up. Hard to see in the photo but there are quite a few of them.
View attachment 734280

Cleaned up the door jamb and started on the pans under the rear seat. This area seems to be very solid as well.
View attachment 734281
Great job keep plugging away

Are you planning on putting any stiffeners in? US Car tool has some nice pieces.

Are you planning on putting any stiffeners in? US Car tool has some nice pieces.
Was thinking about it since I saw a set for sale on Craigslist. Right now I have so much other stuff to do and buy that I plan to wait until I get through this stage.

Awesome job so far, will continue to watch to see progress!

Okay, had to take a break and work on my old Ford Tractor's hydraulic system. Here's where I am at now.

Finished media blasting the exterior of the car.
The right quarter has had some work done to it in the past. Not sure if you can see it in the pictures but there is rust under the filler. This is a very familiar sight when restoring these older muscle cars and one of the reasons I advocate for applying epoxy primer before the filler work.
Quarter Panel Right Stripped.JPG

Quarter Panel right front damage.JPG

Left quarter looks much better although the metal is split at the top of the door opening.
Quarter Panel Left Stripped.JPG

The rear panel seems to be in very good shap:
Rear Right Stripped.JPG

Started cutting out rust and forming patches today but had to quit due to prior commitments.
It looked like this when I got it:
Quarter Panel Left Rust.JPG

This is what was there when I removed the roof skin:
Roof Structure Rust Left SP 1.JPG

Here I am today with it media blasted and the rusted portion cut out. Fabricated a patch and tack welded it into place.
Quarter Panel Left Patch.JPG

I wonder if there were mouse nests in those c-pillar areas that are rusted at one time? Kind of an odd spot for rust, at least I have never had one that was bad there.

I know what you are saying about the odd places I am finding rusted metal. When I pulled the roof skin there was nothing indicating a nest of any kind.
With a car this old, it is hard to know anything about it's history.

It has been a while since I welded patches in and I'm a bit disappointed in myself.
Sailpanel Structure Patch Left.JPG

I brushed on some epoxy to protect the metal that will be impossible to reach after quarter patch is installed.
Sailpanel Structure Patch Epoxied 1.JPG

Fabricated and welded in the quarter panel area patch.
Quarter Panel Left upper.JPG

I keep telling myself I will get better on the next patch. LOL
Still much better than what I started with.
Roof Structure Rust Right SP.JPG

Sailpanel Structure Patch Right.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back