• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

Got the stripe kit and installed the burgundy reflect stripes on the tail panel and lights.
Messed up in one spot but my efforts to purchase just the one stripe I needed failed.
Here it is test fitted. Shows I need to tweak the trunk lid alignment a bit.
Burgandy Stripes.JPG

Does anyone have an installation diagram for the tail panel.
I have a Plymouth Service Manual for the car but searches for "trunk," "tail panel," "deck lid," etc. are getting me nothing.
Just received my hardware kit for the installation but it seems I remember some foam washers placed on pins before installation. I don't see them in the kit.

You could substitute some strip caulk from the hardware store. It’s like Play Dough, tear off a piece, roll out a small strip and wrap it around the stud to seal it up.

You could substitute some strip caulk from the hardware store. It’s like Play Dough, tear off a piece, roll out a small strip and wrap it around the stud to seal it up.
That's not a bad idea.
Do you know how those cup shaped washers are installed? I think I know but just want to be sure.

Do you have a pic of said cup washers? It's been a while since I did mine and I don't remember what they look like.

Yep, foam washers over the studs, then install the panel. The larger end of the cupped washer goes up against the inside of the deck lid (over the stud) and then the nut goes on, butting up against the smaller end.

Yep, foam washers over the studs, then install the panel. The larger end of the cupped washer goes up against the inside of the deck lid (over the stud) and then the nut goes on, butting up against the smaller end.
I knew Pete would be along with the proper instruction. :thumbsup:

Thank you. That's how I thought it went but wanted to be sure.
Made up some foam washers the other day, now I can get this tail panel installed.
I will post pictures of the hardware kit I got and the foam washers before I install it.

Here's the hardware kit for the tail panel. There is one extra screw nut there by mistake. :rolleyes:
I made the foam washers using contact cement and doubling the foam over to increase thickness. I had one old one to pattern them after and then used hole punches to finish them.

The longer, encased, screw nuts are for the tail panel end pins that are exposed.
Hardware Kit.jpg

Last edited:
Never seen those style washers before... Could be why I didn't comment on how to install them... :thumbsup:

The sad part is that the screw nuts in the kit were too small for my tail panel pins.
Fortunately I had saved the old ones so I could get it installed.

Anyone have the measurements for windshield clip placement.
I have it for my rear window but not the front. I guess I should have written all that down before I threw the old roof skin out. :(

You wouldn't happen to have the rear window placement as well would you?
I had them once but can't find them now.

No I don't. My rear window is out. If nobody else has them, I will get them for you this weekend.
Got the windshield clips installed using your measurements. There were existing holes on the A-pillars that matched your measurements exactly.
Thanks again.

You’re welcome! You’ll notice there is an extra one one drivers side lower corner. I put it there because I did not like the way my trim was high there.

Auto Transport Service
Back