• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Roadrunner grill color

I can't add anything to this other than I've never seen a reference to the grille being affected by a trim package nor plant where the car was assembled. It's not hit and miss. There is an answer.

Someone might want to check the parts book for guidance.
Okay thanks for clearing that up. I had always understood the bright grille could be had as part of the options that were added starting in '68, been a victim of wrong info before...

All 68 Road Runners used the same grill and paint pattern. The standard Belvedere and Satellite used the same grill as the Road Runner, just detailed differently. The standard Belvedere grill was the bright dip finish. The Road Runner should have the dark argent finish on the inner rectangle areas and the connecting pieces as I recall were a satin black with the upper and lower band being a bright finish. The Sport Satellite and GTX shared the same grill, just different emblem as mentioned above.

I have two NOS 68 Road Runner grills and darkness of the argent and the texture of the two are slightly different. I am sure that even on the assembly line, you would see slight differences between any two grills on the texture and darkness. Also on the original grills, they used a mask to spray the different colors as you will not see a distinct paint line between the argent and black.

The Decor Package and the change on January 1st to use the trunk finish panel does not impact the grill on the Road Runners.
Thanks for weighing in Richard

Thank you all for your replies.....looks like I am going to refinish my grille in dark argent and satin black then and call it a day.

@69bfan Anywhere specific to get the argent paint? Do you carry that product at all? Is totally auto still in business? I believe they used to sell the paints like that.

Thank you all for your replies.....looks like I am going to refinish my grille in dark argent and satin black then and call it a day.

@69bfan Anywhere specific to get the argent paint? Do you carry that product at all? Is totally auto still in business? I believe they used to sell the paints like that.
IIRC Totally Auto is no longer the source for that paint. It was taken over by another individual and the last time I got some, he had to have more mixed and packaged in the rattle can. That' s been about 2 years ago. I have his card somewhere , and a can of the paint... I will look for it. attached is a pic of what it looks like.......................MO

9.jpg

This is a NOS RR Grille that i have and this might help to get you close except the texture is hard to duplicate.

$_573.JPG $_574.JPG $_576.JPG $_577.JPG

4paint1 is where got my argent paint. 4paint1.com. Have the phone number some where. But it is on line. He is working another job but is in around 4 pm. Bought my engine paint from him. Also the argent paint like the bright and dark. Good person to deal with.

4paint1 is where got my argent paint. 4paint1.com. Have the phone number some where. But it is on line. He is working another job but is in around 4 pm. Bought my engine paint from him. Also the argent paint like the bright and dark. Good person to deal with.
That is where I got mine too, as shown in the above picture. I am pleased with it . It has been on the grill for a few years now , and adhereing very well...................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back