• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Roadrunner

GRAY WILSON

Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1968 Roadrunner 4 speed and the backup lights do not work. I replaced the backup switch on the transmission as it was faulty. It appears not to be working. Short of taking the side cover off is there anything else I could try?

Easiest quick test is to unplug the switch and jump the two wires together. Make sure the key is on. Lights work than its either in the transmission or a bad switch. If lights do not work then as said check for power at the switch. No power its between the switch and the fuse block. If there is power then it is between the switch and the lights.

Check the switch on the bottom of the column. 68 only has the backup switch in this location.

I have power to the switch. You can jump the wires and get lights. I was hoping I could check something before removing the side cover. Thanks for all the responses. Gray

If you have power to the switch and no power out its either not being pressed in or the switch is bad. Unfortunately you will probably have to do the surgery to figure it out. You could pull the switch and press the ball in to see if you have continuity.

BLS814.jpg

I have power to the switch. You can jump the wires and get lights. I was hoping I could check something before removing the side cover. Thanks for all the responses. Gray
I remember others having problems with defective or wrongly made switches. With the switch out activate the switch and see if the lights come on. It could be a depth issue. You could even try it without the gasket.

What ground would that be? He says they will work with the switch jumped.

The lights are grounded to the body. Sometimes they get corroded, and need to be cleaned. You should see voltage at the light socket when the switch is engaged.

The lights are grounded to the body. Sometimes they get corroded, and need to be cleaned. You should see voltage at the light socket when the switch is engaged.
I realize that but if you read his lights are capable of working. So his grounds are obviously good.

I realize that but if you read his lights are capable of working. So his grounds are obviously good.
Just trying to help. It’s not that complicated of a circuit.

Auto Transport Service
Back