• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 383 Water Pump

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Working on low rpm, hot day in traffic cooling. Ordered a Mr. Gasket 4367 thermostat. 1968 383. Regarding water pump, just need a quick brain check here...back when I got my first couple of Chargers in high school (1977'ish), I seem to recall the water pumps were one-piece units. What I am seeing now is that they are two piece units? A housing and the actual pump?

I recall this one piece (pic for description only):

Small Block water pump.JPG

Versus the 2 piece like this one:

Big Block 2 piece water pump.JPG

Just wan to confirm I need the two piece unit?

As always - thanks in advance!! Bob

Hi all,

Working on low rpm, hot day in traffic cooling. Ordered a Mr. Gasket 4367 thermostat. 1968 383. Regarding water pump, just need a quick brain check here...back when I got my first couple of Chargers in high school (1977'ish), I seem to recall the water pumps were one-piece units. What I am seeing now is that they are two piece units? A housing and the actual pump?

I recall this one piece (pic for description only):

View attachment 1448953

Versus the 2 piece like this one:

View attachment 1448955

Just wan to confirm I need the two piece unit?

As always - thanks in advance!! Bob
THe 2 piece is for a big block.

Thanks...I had a 383 in both of my Chargers years ago and thought they were one piece. Maybe back in those days, both parts came pre-assembled, making me think 1 piece...
They never were one piece. All B, RB, Hemi had the housing as one part and the pump as another.

Thanks! So I suppose there’s no reason to remove the housing…just replace the pump. Looking at a Flowkooler pump…

Thanks! So I suppose there’s no reason to remove the housing…just replace the pump. Looking at a Flowkooler pump…

Correct, you only need to replace the pump. If you get a Flowkooler pump get their recommended thermostat as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back