• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short Water Pump for 383?

Did you try mounting it on the shroud first and slide the whole fan/shroud in as as assembly?

A 1" to 1-1/2" spacer with a fixed blade fan would do it. What's front of pulley to radiator and pulley to shroud measurements? You want halfway into shroud.

Just got done with this on a 63 Belvedere Wagon. 383 w Champion rad 18" Flexalite and a shorty spacer. No shroud or A/C. Will see how it cools in the coming Vegas heat. I think I have the parts #s if you need.

IMG_1546.JPG

You say personal experience... just curious, what radiator would you have recommended?
OEM, a recored original, or a Glen-Ray for example. Or an aftermarket one from Wizard. A Champion piece I got years ago did not adequately cool, as my original did or the Wizard I still have to replace the Champion part.

I remember reading about someone installing a 68-70 k member. I guess it moves the engine rearward. But that opens up another can of worms. I think id be finding a new radiator
Yes you can but you have to work on the trans tunnel firewall lip to gain clearance for the transmission as the bell is further back in the tunnel...

I'd have my original radiator rebuilt/ restored and avoid all the headaches.

From personal experience, your mistake was getting a Champion radiator. You ordered a radiator that doesn't fit, and then they sold you an electric setup that doesn't fit. And then you're going to mill your pump, or buy an electric pump, and then, and then.... all for a radiator that doesn't fit.
Your mistake was not using a GLEN RAY radiator or have Glen Ray rebuild your old radiator. The money snd time you've spent trying to shoemaker fitting your after market stuff will be more than paid for in hassle and grief and marginal performance. "Glenn-Ray is expensive" is the usual excuse......but not really.....you get what you pay for....or in this instance....NOT!.....Just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

FALSE, RJ.
What the man needed to do was a little research. The default to Glen Ray is one option, yeah but it is not the only one.
In some cases, you have a bunch of room so your choices are not so critical. In the OP's case, maybe he didn't know what the limitations were.
Yeah, Glen Ray seems to make some great products but yeah...not everyone is comfortable paying almost $1000 for a radiator.
My Speedcooling radiator was under $300 shipped. A stock shroud fits. The fan clears just fine.
For an OEM correct restoration, I'd agree with your suggestion.

That and he quoted the wrong person!

Some days you'd think Bob was the only radiator shop left on the planet... but it's probably getting there in the throw away society of today. Luckily my home town radiator shop is still going, but when the current 40 year old owners Father passes away it'll be the end of rebuilds I'm sure. He's making mega bucks selling current units, the old classic rebuilds are maybe 0.5% of his business profile.

Well just my 2 cents but after seeing the OPs pics I would remove that ((shroud)) and surface mount the fan and try it out.
I have never liked that style of flat shroud. Looks more like a air flow block to me.
If that electric fan has a decent cfm rate it looks large enough to do the job.

A different shroud with 2 smaller electric fans would probably be a better option…

Auto Transport Service
Back