• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(1969 Charger) Were there any differences (aside from the motor) between the 440 r/t package and the 426 Hemi r/t package?

NKP_765

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
I'm new to the site so sorry if this has been asked before. Basically, im wondering if the only difference between a R/T Charger factory outfitted with the 426 and one built with the 440 is the motor? Were there any suspension or brake system differences? I know the 426 cars received Hemi plates on the side. But from what I understand the transmission was still the 727 and everything else was the same, am I wrong?

So in theory, could someone buy any 69 charger body and a 69 426 to build a car that is equivalent to a 426 R/T off the assembly line?

Last edited:
Engine is obvious, trans- programming and guts, torque convertor stall and guts, VIN, body gets torque boxes etc, suspension is better , HD shocks, big brakes , there is a lot more than you think... it’s not just a logo . Yes you can clone it...

I believe the automatic transmission was different for the hemi, amount of clutch plates. Aux. transmission cooler. Engine bay wiring harness is different. K frame is different.

Last edited:
I think the Hemi cars got an additional brace behind the rear leaf spring hanger area as well.

hemi cars got the extra frame re-inforcements and added pinion snubber plate on the body . - Not avail on any others
Mandatory max cooling - optional on all others
Transmission internals and higher stall on the torque conv are unique to hemi cars
Suspension, brakes , and steering could all be optioned the same between the two

All the suspension is the same. Sway bar, torsion bars, leaf springs, control arms, and shocks.

brakes are the same 11" drum or optional front disc.

If it's a 4speed the trans and shifter are the same, bellhousing and starter are different.

rear axle the same for the same trans or A34 option.

The rear spring front mount also had a reinforcement. Here is one photo and the floor along with rear shackle reinforcements. Lots of people have never seen these.

100_0279.JPG

100_0326.JPG

100_0339.JPG

hemi cars got the extra frame re-inforcements and added pinion snubber plate on the body . - Not avail on any others
Mandatory max cooling - optional on all others
Transmission internals and higher stall on the torque conv are unique to hemi cars
Suspension, brakes , and steering could all be optioned the same between the two
wonder how hard it would be to add the plate re-reinforcements and pinion snubber plate to a stock charger

wonder how hard it would be to add the plate re-reinforcements and pinion snubber plate to a stock charger
A welder and a hammer. Possibly a surface grinder.

Pictures you see are from my car as I installed them I also did all the mods along with full length completely welded in frame ties.

On a side note. 66-67 Hemi cars received the rear braces / pinion snubber

68 and later hemi cars also received some additional reinforcements on the front where the frame ties to the rocker panels

Dr. Diff sells the front spring hanger reinforcement plates. I am not aware anyone reproducing anything for the rears or pinion snubber area.

Dr. Diff sells the front spring hanger reinforcement plates. I am not aware anyone reproducing anything for the rears or pinion snubber area.
There was a guy I think out of Florida that was selling them. I cant remember his name. I believe he also sold me torque boxes.

I bought the rear shackle plates, pinion snubber reinforcement and the spring hanger plates for my 68 Charger. It's a 440 R/T so it didn't have any of that stuff to begin with. I didn't do the torque boxes. Resto Rick sells all of the reinforcements

Auto Transport Service
Back