• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Coronet 440 Headers?

Daly

Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
So, I've decided to redo the exhaust on my Coronet, the PO did a decent job fixing, but it should've been completely replaced from the get go. I'm looking at Hedman headers part #78030 and I'm wondering if anyone has run these? How did they fit and how are they holding up? Stock 440…

Do you plan on giving your 440 more power eventually? I'm am hands down a tti man. Best headers in the biz for mopars.

Although I haven't installed Hedmans in recent years, back then we did a number of cars, different makes, they were a good set.

Do you plan on giving your 440 more power eventually? I'm am hands down a tti man. Best headers in the biz for mopars.
TTI does look like a good set of headers, but I'm not looking to spend $12-1300 CND on headers at the moment. I'm just looking to replace the worn exhaust that's on the car now. In a few years when I have the suspension, brakes and body where I want, I'll build a motor and get a set of TTI headers then. But, for now I just want to clean up the exhaust that's almost dragging on the ground…

I'm in Canada, and it's 30 cents on the dollar… Then taxes (13% in Ontario) on top of that, it adds up pretty quick…

Yup, I loved it when you guys were in a recession. Our dollar was par and even worth more for a bit, I made out like a bandit and bought everything I could at the time. But now, I've gotta be careful what I buy…

Doug's headers are well made too. All the rest seem to have similar fitment issues. If your budget excludes the more expensive options, go for a set that has thick flanges and uses a bigger gauge thickness for the pipe.

I have hooker competition on my 440 GTX 68. Price was right, fit was good. Summit Racing. Put flomasters on the rest of the system back to the tail pipes.

I installed a set of manzo shorty headers for a friend of mine, what a nice set of headers for the money. All stainless and nice and short. I installed them with percys gaskets and arp hardware but they came with decent gaskets and hardware, my buddy just bought that stuff for some reason. I also wrapped them for him (I always wrap headers) which is only $10-20 of mechanics wire and exhaust wrap, much easier to do when they are off the car, lol...

I was surprised how nice them headers were though, we towed the car to a local exhaust shop that made the rest of the system, he installed flow master mufflers and 3" all the way back, the motor didn't need 3" but he paid for it. When we went to pick it up that afternoon, it sounded awesome, even the muffler guy asked what kind of headers they were, when he found out they were $100 he was amazed. I am more of a cast iron manifold guy, I hate headers, I even use ci manifolds on all my abc hot rod builds (corvette ram horns, I have a few extra sets waiting for future projects), but them shorties were nice and the price was right. Long tube headers seem to make everything under the hood and in the car HOTTER, they are a bitch to fit when you buy universals, they can hang too low, seem to leak often, and imo don't look as good as other options...

Check them out, they may be something you will consider, he has had them for a bunch of miles now and no issues, he said the car breaths much better and has more power, I am not sure since when I drove the car I always went easy, since it s not my car...

I've got a set of Hedmans on my GTX. Hate the spark plug changing as a result, absolutely hate it.
They're right on the starter, too, even though I run a smaller Dakota starter.
On the other hand, they seem reasonably well made and don't leak.

Had a set of Hooker SC's on a 71 340 Cuda that lasted for over 15 years.....

I was asking about the Hedman headers because it's what I've found, but what I'm looking for is best fit and a reasonable price. I don't mind paying $300-400 on a set, but for now a grand for headers just seems unreasonable… I'd rather put that grand into an intake, cam and carb right now… I know it seems stupid to buy a set of headers on to buy another set later, but I think 1.75 primaries with a 3" collector is more then enough for a stock rotating assembly with a mild cam, edelbrock intake (don't know which one yet) and new carb or EFI set up. The plans are to fully rebuild the motor in 5-6 years with a blower, at that point I'd spend some cash on a set of TTI, Doug's or Thornley Headers…

Just put a set of Summit Racing headers on my sons Camaro. They have the heavier flange like the more expensive brands. Fit great..no rubbing. Even got their Summit exhaust kit and it fit great and came with their brand turbo mufflers. They sound really nice and were cheap. They have stuff for big block b bodies too.

I was asking about the Hedman headers because it's what I've found, but what I'm looking for is best fit and a reasonable price. I don't mind paying $300-400 on a set, but for now a grand for headers just seems unreasonable… I'd rather put that grand into an intake, cam and carb right now… I know it seems stupid to buy a set of headers on to buy another set later, but I think 1.75 primaries with a 3" collector is more then enough for a stock rotating assembly with a mild cam, edelbrock intake (don't know which one yet) and new carb or EFI set up. The plans are to fully rebuild the motor in 5-6 years with a blower, at that point I'd spend some cash on a set of TTI, Doug's or Thornley Headers…
Nothing wrong with putting headers on a stock engine. Done several cars like that and they have always made a difference but most also got an intake and carb to go with the headers. Had a 79 3/4 ton Dodge with a 400 with a 69 383 intake, headers and an RV type cam and that thing ran pretty good to the tune of 15.40's running 3.54 gears and stock height tires (29's?). It was no slouch for something that weighed as much as it did......not a ball of fire by today's standards but back then, it was keeping up with 5.0 Mustangs!

When you do decide to go with $$$TTI's, order from a FBBO Vendor. Don't deal directly with them. I paid more and they sounded annoyed. About $1000 to the door, headers only. Cool, light, reliable, good fit. The best. I will replace them with the same when the time comes.

Auto Transport Service
Back