• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 coronet 500 convertible resto.

So a little more progress.I got the convertible top pieces blasted and primed.By the way,be careful with these things as I nearly cut my finger off hanging these things to prime when it scissored closed on me.
I am keeping the original ramcharger hood for the other superbee so I used a stock style hood.It had rusted out on the back inner ledge so I decided to split the sheetmetal from the brace.I used a hacksaw blade to cut the bonding glue loose,then drilled out the spotwelds.They come off pretty nice.I had a donor hood with poor sheetmetal so I used the underside brace from it.

I cut the bracing for the ramcharger setup.Much easier to do now while its apart.I then prepped the sheetmetal,blasted the new bracing,then epoxy primed them.I used 3M NVH foam in between the hood and brace for anti flutter and assemble them back together.

143.jpg142.jpg134.jpg141.jpg139.jpg

More progress.I got the car back in the booth and shot more epoxy,then 3 coats of high build 2K.I have that all block out next it will go back in the booth for 3 or 4 more coats of high build then I will let it sit for a month.I will start on the motor while the car sits.

145.jpg146.jpg147.jpg148.jpg

Your project is coming along very nicely. I am working on a similar car. I appreciate all the detail that you post. I'm very eager to see your progress.

Finally got the last two coats of SPI 2K primer on the body.I will dry block it with 400,then switch to 600 wet.First I will sand all the jambs,under decklid, hood and paint those.Then assemble,block and paint.
This is the temporary booth I will use until our new one is built.It's actually pretty nice 15x32x8.

154.jpg152.jpg149.jpg

Sprayed some parts yesterday and cleared them today.I did all the door, hood and trunk hinges,bolts,trunk and door jambs,cowl and the fenders headlight bucket area.I did the cowl because I was afraid of something blowing out of the holes and landing in the paint.Less chance of that this way but always a chance it won't quite match.:icon_cry: I guess then a scuff and respray .No biggie.

69 coronet2.jpg69 coronet1.jpg69 coronet3.jpg

Finished spraying the jambs.Now onto assembling the hood,trunk,doors etc.Hope to put color on car by end of next week.:headbang:

162.jpg165.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice!! How do you get all those body parts to levitate like that haha

Ha yeah,it's hard to see the wires.

Got it out in the sun today to help pull solvents and cure.Will give it a few more days outside like this,then block and shoot hopefully by end of next week.

166.jpg167.jpg168.jpg169.jpg170.jpg

Your car is turning out great. I love that colour.. Cheers,

Thank you.Finally starting to see daylight at the end of the tunnel.

So following Metro's trunk weatherstrip instructions,which say,"DO NOT PULL THE GASKET TIGHT!"this is what it ends up like...SHORT.

171.jpg172.jpg

Very nice, thank you, I am starting on my 69 Coronet convertible, these pics and comments are all very helpful!! Great job on your project!

So I was able to get the weatherstrip in place ok by glueing the two ends together.I used this glue and when setup,I tugged on it pretty hard and it stayed together.I guess it wasn't a big deal after all but I didn't cut ANY excess off. Hmmm?

173.jpg

The car is painted.I based it Saturday,cleared it Sunday and now I am wetsanding it with 400.Then I will re-clear it.Then sit for a while in the sun[hopefully sun]to pull out the solvents and setup.Then cut and buff.

176.jpg179.jpg

Jamie, did you use universal clear ? And how many coats total ?

Yes,SPI universal clear.I put on 3 wet coats,then block it straight ,then 3 more,re-block to 3000 and buff out.I would guess it will have about 3 coats on it average when done.

Jaime,

Awesome skills indeed! This is going to be a beautiful ride for sure!

Auto Transport Service
Back