• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 coronet fender tag decode?

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Am I reading this tag correctly? It looks like it's from a white car with a white transverse stripe? I have never seen a white car with white stripe, but this may have happened frequently without my limited knowledge. Comments?

35242686-1969-dodge-coronet-r-t-std.jpg

WS27:
Dodge Coronet,Charger
Special, R/T
Convertible

L9G: 440 375HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

304432: Sequence number

E86: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 (High Performance) 375hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
W1: White (Dodge), Alpine White (Plymouth), Spinnaker White (Chrysler & Imperial) Exterior Color
P6D: Trim - Premium, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Blue
B7: Medium Blue Metallic (Dodge), Jamaica Blue Metallic (Plymouth), Jubilee Blue Metallic (Chrysler) Int. Door Frames
707: Build Date: July 07
466993: Order number

A01: Light Package
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
J25: 3 Speed Wipers

L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
N85: Tachometer
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V8W: Tranverse Stripes, White

Y16: Sales Bank
END: End of Sales Codes

So what kind of car is it, a coronet or charger? Do you have any pictures of the white car with white stripe?

It's a Coronet R/T. The first Chargers were a fast-back sub-model "package" of the Coronet and this decoder has reference to W/Charger as a remnant because it doesn't differentiate for model year. No factory Charger convertibles either. The "W" also returned into play as a Charger in '71 when there was no longer a B-body Coronet and the Charger took up the flag of the Superbee.

White-on-White stripe/paint makes zero sense to me, but my thoughts mean nothing LOL!

I'm only familiar with '68 tags. WS23 for the Coronet RT. XS for Charger, I think.

Yes - it was some of the other years that didn't follow that convention...muddies things a bit until you sift through some of the "whys" that Mother Mopar used.

I'm only familiar with '68 tags. WS23 for the Coronet RT. XS for Charger, I think.
W is Coronet and as previously mentioned in some years Charger... I don't know 66 & 67 but it 71 & up it is

S makes it an R/T

21 is Coupe (Pop out windows in the rear)
23 is a Hardtop
27 is a Convertible
29 is a "Sports Roof" could be a Charger I know that's what they used in 68-70 don't know about earlier or later but my guess is it remained constant..

Am I reading this tag correctly? It looks like it's from a white car with a white transverse stripe? I have never seen a white car with white stripe, but this may have happened frequently without my limited knowledge. Comments?

View attachment 1425134

Do you have any other documentation on the car or only the tag?

Sure were some odd color combos available back in the day.

I like white with blue int, and I love same color stripes as the body.

Pic of whole car?

There's a 69 W1 Super Bee with a V8W stripe in Germany too, red interior.
I would have thought that a white stripe-on-white paint would be a 1-of-1....German one is a Bee, so not a 'vert and maybe this one still could be?
Sure were some odd color combos available back in the day.
That's one of the odd things about this: Certainly you could order any color bumblebee they made (red, black and white in '69), but this is a sales bank car, so corp went outside their own color guidelines. I read somewhere about maybe 5 or 6 "promotional" white paint/white top convertible R/Ts for '69 (stripe wasn't mentioned that I recall), but haven't actually seen one - supposedly for Canada? There was a VON class in '69 for Promo/Press cars that were Y16 and apparently had a VON starting with "96" - this one doesn't quite pass muster on that. The other odd-duck thing is this one doesn't show a V3_ for a 'vert top in a manner that I would expect from St Louis. Maybe that V8 is a mis-stamp for a V3, and stripe was just "R/T standard" and not tagged? It's a bit odd. Broadcast sure would be good to see (pics, too, of course).

71 and up Chargers were 21, 23, and 29 body.

Coronets were 41, 45 and 46 IIRC

I have seen factory black with black stripes, so white with white would not be a stretch here, IMHO.
Yeah, but Black with Black stripes looks Badass... Blue with Blue stripes looks great.... Green with Green stripes looks pretty damn good...White with White stripes? Not so much..

I went back to find that article on the White/White Promo '69 'verts...see if there was anything about stripes. Meta-data and search pulled it up in Google as 69, so I click on over....I'm reading along and glance at the pic....1970 Coronet - not 69 at all! LOL - totally irrelevant to this discussion. I should probably just edit it out of my prior comments. Geez....

I would have thought that a white stripe-on-white paint would be a 1-of-1....German one is a Bee, so not a 'vert and maybe this one still could be?

That's one of the odd things about this: Certainly you could order any color bumblebee they made (red, black and white in '69), but this is a sales bank car, so corp went outside their own color guidelines. I read somewhere about maybe 5 or 6 "promotional" white paint/white top convertible R/Ts for '69 (stripe wasn't mentioned that I recall), but haven't actually seen one - supposedly for Canada? There was a VON class in '69 for Promo/Press cars that were Y16 and apparently had a VON starting with "96" - this one doesn't quite pass muster on that. The other odd-duck thing is this one doesn't show a V3_ for a 'vert top in a manner that I would expect from St Louis. Maybe that V8 is a mis-stamp for a V3, and stripe was just "R/T standard" and not tagged? It's a bit odd. Broadcast sure would be good to see (pics, too, of course).

I've tracked and sourced 69 R/T convertibles for over 20 years. In that time I've accumulated 103 VINs for cars that still exist and those that do not. I have data ranging from full broadcast sheets and tag to only the VIN.

There its a batch of similar, yet each different, Y2 convertibles produced in August with consecutive VINs and 96XXXX VONs. These were promo cars. I have no info on any white promo cars sent to Canada. Their VONs would start with a B.

I have colors for 71 of the 103 cars. Six are white. I know there is my car, this car, and one in MN that was repainted V2(?). I don't recall info on the other three. Three of the white ones were stripe delete, one has a black stripe, one, apparently, a red stripe and this one in white.

This tag, and car, are of interest to me. The tag does not have the usual St. Louis markings such as the inspection stamp in the upper right hand corner, any punch through stamp nor does the upper left corner appear to have been bent as typical of a 69 St. Louis tag. I believe this is a remade tag, but was it an accurate representation of the original tag? The V8W stripe on white is odd especially because it is a Y16 sales bank car. If other documentation on the car exists, I'd sure like to see it.

69 St. Louis did not code the V3* convertible top on the tag. A V8* stripe would be coded.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back