• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Disc Brake Conversion Kits

Rob'68Net

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
Ok, so who has any experience with disc brake conversion kits currently on the market? I see a bunch available, but are any of them good fit/quality? The Right Stuff has a kit, but it says it will only fit 15" wheels. Am I better off finding a different kit and keeping stock 14's ? There are also kits on ebay that are less money, but they are definitely made in China...which makes me a little skeptical. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Rob

I bought a power disc brake conversion kit off JEGS over a decade ago. It’s been pretty good over the years. I think it works with 14” wheels, I have 15”.

The largest you can fit is a 10.95 rotor and depending on the wheel used it is still a tight fit. Are you using factory drum spindle's? I lucked out and found a complete setup with disc spindles of a 73 B-wagon for my 68. I just upgraded to 11.75 rotors from Dr Diff so I have the pin style 10.95 caliper brackets and rotors. PM if interested. More than one way to skin a cat on your issue. This is off my Duster with some older 14" US Indy Mags. You can see the scrape marks where the wheel is not concentric to the hub but relying on the shanked lugs to center it. Yes it is that close. Had to get Custom rings made. This is so I can run 14s to clear the Hooker fender well headers.

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

Cass, aka Dr. Diff is who I buy all my brake stuff from. Fair pricing, his knowledge, and customer service is second to none.

You do not mention front or rear but I will comment on the rear. Most of them have the e brake tied to the caliper using a mechanical lever. This is the same setup used on a doodle bug(Chinese mini bike) and most likely where they should stay. They suck because adjusting the e brake to work gets the caliper too tight and they drag. Too loose and brakes work but no e brake. This is probably more geared towards stick transmissions than autos but no e brake is a no go for me with a stick. Get the rear set using the inside drum for e brake or keep the original rear drums. $500 mistake on my side. Dr diff had them.

I'm going with drdiff myself... support the guys that keep the hobby going :)

Leed Brakes makes a quality kit that works with 14" wheels. Also as a member of FBBO you would be eligible for the members discount and free shipping. Here is a quick link.

Front Power Disc Brake Conversion Kit

I did the Dr. Diff kit that allows keeping the 14" wheels. I have old original Magnum 500s on my 64 Fury. If you buy the Dr. Diff kit, be sure to knock the bearing races out of the rotors and install the Timken bearings and races that come with the kit. (The races that come in the rotors are Chinese junk.)
Here is a link to my thread about what I had to do to the rotor hubs to make them fit with my Magnum 500s.
Disc Conversion Rotors Interfere w/ Old Original Magnum 500s... Redneck Engineering Required

Auto Transport Service
Back