• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Charger 383 4BBL, 4 Speed, w/ AC Production Numbers??

Claire440-6pack

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was wondering about production numbers for a 1969 Dodge Charger 383 4-barrel, 4 Speed Manual, with Air Conditioning? I know it's not probable to find a clear-cut, exact number. There are too many factors, such as 4-Speed Manual and also AC, for that. But could someone come close or give me a range? I mean, if it's not feasible, it's not feasible. I've done plenty of research like this myself. I know how it can be. This one’s just stumping me. I DO know that it's a rare combo. Most cars that had AC were an automatic. Furthermore, most every 383 car to have AC was a 2-BBL. So the fact that this car was a 383 4-barrel, 4-speed manual, AC car is noteworthy.

The only consistent info I've found (meaning I've seen it in at least a couple places) is that for 1969 (out of 17,308 total 383 4-BBL Chargers), 383 4-BBLs w/ 4-speed manuals generated sales of approximately 3,579 units, which was less than 5% of the total production of '69 Chargers. But that doesn't give me any sort of picture of what those numbers would look like when you throw in the AC, and how many 383 4-BBL, 4-Speed '69 Chargers were outfitted with that option.

And I could very well be mistaken with my numbers! It's happened before. :)

Here's some backstory on the car.

g_s960x960&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=HUW2Ovc1DHgAX_mSRH9&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

This is my handsome grandfather, circa 1970. My grandpa and grandma ordered in early/mid '69 and received in August of '69, a 1969 Dodge Charger.

My grandma and grandpa were married in March of 1969. Almost immediately after, they ordered this car exactly how they wanted it. Their first car as a married couple. Thus started a tradition. Every 5-7 years, they ordered a new car. While that may seem excessive and unnecessary, that was really their only "luxurious necessity". They didn't need/want a big, fancy house or expensive name-brand clothes, they just valued having a nice car. So they bought a new car and treated it well! Then they'd trade it back in to the dealer or privately sell it and order/buy a new vehicle. Both being teachers, they lived simple/frugally and saved to accomplish this. That's just how they are.

SO back to the car. I don't know all THAT much about this car, seeing as it was sold long before my time. But here's what I do know.

- 383 4-BBL
- 4-Speed Manual
- AC
- T5 Copper Poly
- White Vinyl Top
- Saddle Tan Interior

Not an R/T, not an SE. Nothing super spectacular or exceptionally desirable in the sense that it wasn't a 440 or Hemi as it wasn't the aforementioned R/T or an R/T SE. But it certainly isn't your typical run-of-the-mill Charger!

Unfortunately, this car, at the hands of its young, third owner (I believe it was the 3rd...) was wrecked.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

A fellow Mopar enthusiast,
Claire

Last edited:
Beautiful Charger. Unfortunately, lack of records from Mother Mopar makes it impossible to verify exact count, but it's rare for sure. Yeah, it's not a Hemi, but is a really unique and interesting car. My dad was also a teacher, who lived a similar lifestyle. When he got tenure at Penn State in 1973, he treated himself to similar, but not so unique car - a 1973 Dodge Dart, same basic brown metallic, 318, A/C, heavy duty suspension, sure-grip rear (my urging), saddle interior, non tinted glass (he was a fan of Ralph Nader), power steering, power discs. Production numbers on your grandparents' vehicle would be low, for sure. Back in the day, I drove a stripper slant six Valiant, but a Lemon Twist '70 GTX was my weekend toy. Times have changed but I still have a GTX in my garage for weekends, only now it's a Hemi.

70 GTX.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I've done enough of my own research on Mopars to know that exact numbers aren't exactly abundant. That's just the way it is! But estimations, if available, are certainly welcomed by me!

Thanks for sharing! It's neat that you still have that GTX!

No breakdown's for a/c cars. There was also no breakdown for transmission with that particular model in my production book.
17,308 XP29H9 1969 383-4 Charger's were built according to my Galen book.

Last edited:
By definition, virtually any 1960s Mopar is one of one, based on the myriad options that were available to any buyer. I grew up in State College with a dealership whose owner was a savant for putting together unicorn cars for customers and himself - for example, the most highly optioned '69 GTX with A/C that was ever built (his personal driver for 15 years, which I got to drive as a 16-year old), three Hemi Road Runners, a '70 Hemi Cuda Gran Coupe, with every available factory option, a '69 A-12 Road Runner with A/C and a 3:54 rear, and a Moulin Rouge '70 AAR 'Cuda. This guy created rare cars back in the day, and he wouldn't mate A/C with a four speed. Charger production for '69 was around 80,000 units, A/C maybe 5%, four speed maybe 5% of that, so I'm thinking maybe 20 units from the factory? I've attached a picture of the Dealer Demonstrator GTX. I wouldn't believe such a car existed, if I hadn't grown up with it. I've been trying to buy it for over 50 years, current owner knows what he's got.

IMG_0101.JPG

Hello everyone!

I was wondering about production numbers for a 1969 Dodge Charger 383 4-barrel, 4 Speed Manual, with Air Conditioning? Most 383 cars that have AC are 2-barrels and an automatic. So the fact that this car was a 383 4-barrel, 4-speed manual, AC car seems pretty unique to me.

Here's some backstory on the car.

View attachment 1253993

This is my handsome grandfather, circa 1970. My grandpa and grandma ordered in early/mid '69 and received in August of '69, a 1969 Dodge Charger.

My grandma and grandpa were married in March of 1969. Almost immediately after, they ordered this car. Their first car as a married couple.Thus started a tradition. Every 5-7 years, they ordered a new car. While that may seem excessive and unnecessary, that was really their only "luxurious necessity". They didn't need/want a big, fancy house or expensive name-brand clothes, they just valued having a nice car. So they bought a new car and treated it well! Then they'd trade it back in to the dealer or privately sell it and order/buy a new vehicle. Both being teachers, they lived simple/frugally and saved to accomplish this. That's just how they are.
SO back to the car. I don't know much about this car, seeing as it was sold long before my time. But here's what I do know.

- 383 4-BBL
- 4-Speed Manual
- AC
- T5 Copper Poly
- White Vinyl Top
- Saddle Tan Interior

Not an R/T, not an SE. Nothing super spectacular or exceptionally desirable.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

What you are asking for does not exist as you cannot combine two options (A/C and four speed) and come up with a new number. People will try, but the math is flawed and, frankly, guessing. Don't guess.....

The factory options and accessories report give us a good, but not exact, ideas as to about how many 69 XP Chargers were shipped with certain items. I have some of the data but not all.

Approximately 3,579 383-4 four speeds were shipped for 1969. About 58,626 XP29s had a vinyl top. Exterior colors and interiors, were not tracked for model year 1969. (The exception is the C5X interior.)

If you ask on this Board or the Charger Board http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/ you many be able to find someone that has a complete report and fill in some gaps I can't. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back