• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 GTX build I need some information

Butch Glancy

Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
I have a 100% survivor body, engine and transmission. Unfortunately I fubared the hood.
The body is really great with only one bad spot behind the rear windshield on the driver side. The interior is solid but has been redone in an ugly velour.

This engine is rebuilt (supposedly and I have no reason to doubt it) and I just had the transmission rebuilt. I put a billet higher capacity pan on the tranny, so I'm already not going to be 100% OEM/original.
I'm going to go with electric fans, after market radiator and at least an electric fuel pump.

I need bolts, transmission lines, brake lines, front and rear wheel bearings, etc. Probably at least an under the hood wiring harness. Carburetor kit, master cyl and wheel cyl and caliper kits.

I intend to start with wheel bearings and brake lines. and go bottom up.

Any advice on hustling parts?

Post each item individually in the WTB (want to buy) section on here and see what you get. There are tons of vendors out there now but u should be able to source a lot of what you listed from NAPA like the bearings, master cylinder & wheel bearings. On the lines, if you don't want to bend them yourself, then look up Fine Lines, SS tube, or In line tube on the internet and compare. I will say I bought a fuel line from In line and had to rework it a bit, it wasn't a perfect fit but close. If you can't find a carb kit locally then check out Chicago Carburetor, they have most everything. You can also check out Ebay, a lot of vendors post stuff on there. Some vendors like PST sell front end parts and offer a discount to members of this forum on orders over $200 so check them out. Good luck! How about a couple of pictures of that GTX.

Post each item individually in the WTB (want to buy) section on here and see what you get. There are tons of vendors out there now but u should be able to source a lot of what you listed from NAPA like the bearings, master cylinder & wheel bearings. On the lines, if you don't want to bend them yourself, then look up Fine Lines, SS tube, or In line tube on the internet and compare. I will say I bought a fuel line from In line and had to rework it a bit, it wasn't a perfect fit but close. If you can't find a carb kit locally then check out Chicago Carburetor, they have most everything. You can also check out Ebay, a lot of vendors post stuff on there. Some vendors like PST sell front end parts and offer a discount to members of this forum on orders over $200 so check them out. Good luck! How about a couple of pictures of that GTX.
Thanks.

I only have one picture right now, when I get it off the trailer I will get more as I do the work.

1969 GTX.jpg

Original A4 silver car? Looks like a clone of my St. Louis built 69 GTX.

Platinum Metallic.
I believe that's the original color although I haven't run the VIN.

It's a good color on the car and the original vinyl top is almost flawless.

Last edited:
The guy I bought it from is bringing whatever parts he has left plus a hood.

Is there a kind of guide on how to start this rebuild here anywhere?

I'm thinking it need to roll first (bearings Etc.) stop second (brake system) and then move on to the engine and drive train.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Yep. According to a hand written note I have (see attachment) it is an A4 car built in St. Louis. So who's car is the clone? :)

Attachments

• 1969 GTX001.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 144
Yep. According to a hand written note I have (see attachment) it is an A4 car built in St. Louis. So who's car is the clone? :)

Very cool! Yours was built on Sept 11, 1968 so it is very early. Mine was built in November. Yours is very well optioned, nice of the previous owner to decode the tag.

Nice ride. I wished there was a registry for all GTX. I seen one for 1970 GTX. If there is one maybe someone can post it. Thanks

Very cool! Yours was built on Sept 11, 1968 so it is very early. Mine was built in November. Yours is very well optioned, nice of the previous owner to decode the tag.
Nice ride. I wished there was a registry for all GTX. I seen one for 1970 GTX. If there is one maybe someone can post it. Thanks

Thank you.

The weather was bad here so my guy didn't make it with the parts.:(

No the V21 are the painted hood stripes. I'm talking about the V6W stripes. They are white reflective decals running down the side of the car.

Well my guy brought the parts, I'm going to have a spare bumper, 2 complete tail light cans, 2 rear deck plates (one with the GTX emblem). The hood he brought is ok, I think it will need a patch on the front cross member that can be supplied by the one I messed up.

Auto Transport Service
Back