• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 GTX repo trunk trim panel...anyone try one?

1968rt

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Classic industries is now selling a 69 GTX trunk trim panel. Anyone have experience with one? I have heard horror stories about some of the older style repo ones.

Here's one I installed a few years ago when Classic Industries first released them. You have to drill two holes to mount the "GTX" emblem, the panels are not drilled and I don't believe the emblem is available as a reproduction anywhere. The panel fit nice with the exception of having 1/4" - 3/8" gaps on each end because it didn't match the curve of the trunk lid exactly. I was able to draw it down most of the way on the ends then stopped fearing I would crack the panel or at least the chrome coating in the center. If I were to rate it at 10 being best, it would get a 7.5 - 8.0. They could also do a much better job with the red stripe and black paint work. Unfortunately if you need one this is about the only option you have.

1969 GTX2 - Copy (2)_LI.jpg

That's just what I was afraid of. I'm curious to know if they re-tooled because of that problem.

I had one of the Metro Parts reproductions (Installed in 2014) on my '69 that I recently sold. Paint and fit were pretty close the the original on my '69 survivor car I owned in the '90s. Only issue was a gap of about 1/16" of gap on the far right corner, not really off much from the factory original which didn't fit perfectly either. I have no idea how many might have been stashed away before production ceased, also whether mine was better or worse than most in the fit department.

If you are willing to pay around two grand, the Kruisin Moons restored originals are pretty nice pieces.

Ive seen them in person when made by metro.

Having had maybe a dozen from near perfect and/or NOS originals over the years. ( Ive owned four different 1969 GTXs over the years ) So i bought and sold a bunch of oem trim for a 69 GTX.
That said......and this is my 2cents only

Imo. They are ok at best....BUT They aint gonna fool anyone thinking they are originals.

Ive seen them in person when made by metro.

Having had maybe a dozen from near perfect and/or NOS originals over the years. ( Ive owned four different 1969 GTXs over the years ) So i bought and sold a bunch of oem trim for a 69 GTX.
That said......and this is my 2cents only

Imo. They are ok at best....BUT They aint gonna fool anyone thinking they are originals.
This is why I've always sought out GTXs that had a few or no exterior reproduction pieces. But as I said earlier, the price of the rare originals for these cars can be nauseating.

Auto Transport Service
Back