• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Lynch Road production dates, and production numbers by color?!?

Pilot car 714 would mean a very early production test car, a 69 built July 14, 1968.
Latest production date 711 would mean (his) last recorded production of a 69 model car would be July 11, 1969.

Pilot car 714 would mean a very early production test car, a 69 built July 14, 1968.
Latest production date 711 would mean (his) last recorded production of a 69 model car would be July 11, 1969.
The Scheduled Production Dates (SPD) listed are just that. A scheduled date. SPDs are administrative in function. They may, or most likely, are not, related to actual production.

A car with an SPD of 711 may have been built on 702 or even 715. Unless factory records surface that show what cars were built on what day, we’ll never really know when a car was built in the pre door sticker years.

The Scheduled Production Dates (SPD) listed are just that. A scheduled date. SPDs are administrative in function. They may, or most likely, are not, related to actual production.

A car with an SPD of 711 may have been built on 702 or even 715. Unless factory records surface that show what cars were built on what day, we’ll never really know when a car was built in the pre door sticker years.
Yep, if you think of what is involved in switching a manufacturing/assembly plant over to a new model. It doesn't happen overnight and it may take weeks to work out all the bugs. Every part that is different than last years must be handled, fitted and installed differently than it was the year before. Going from a 68 to a 69 wouldn't be that big of a change but think of the changes between the 70 and 71 cars.

Well aware of that , but a Mopar newbie might not, so thanks.
Example, only two spd's for all 69 A12s, they certainly weren't all built on only two days.

Nailed it. Sales guy for PPG (or whoever) must have been sliding one of the Chrysler Purchasing Agents some kind of kickback to buy all of that damned F8... :lol:
This is anecdotal, but specific to '69 GTXs, as I was a teenager back when they were new, and obsessed with this particular model after test driving a new one. I was always trying to spot them. I've owned four since then, all R6 red. Black ones are/were as rare as hen's teeth. I only saw two on the street back in the day, one with a red interior, striking combination. Green with black or green interior definitely the prevailing trend at the time. The bronze metallics seemed fairly common, almost always with a saddle interior. A4 silver and B5 blue seemed to pop up about as much as the R6 scorch red cars, not common, but not rare. I never recall seeing a GTX in R4 red back then, but did see it on more than a few Road Runners. The lighter colors such as sunflower yellow were also fairly scarce, but not as much as the black cars.

My observations were from 1969 until the 1973 oil embargo, when many of the cars (including my current one) came off the road. The GTX population in central PA was low, but my family used to visit friends in Alabama on a regular basis, and the path through NASCAR country would produce quite a few of them.

Hi Doug,

what is the latest SPD on fender tags (only) that you have for 69 Lynch Road?
According to the "tag only" latest SPD I have is 711.
If you have any later tags I would be happy if you could share them

Carsten

The highest SPD I have for '69 LR is 711.

(your inbox is full ;) )

Got it. Thanks for help!!!!!

Black ones are/were as rare as hen's teeth. I only saw two on the street back in the day, one with a red interior, striking combination.

That is one of the reasons I was trying to find out about 1969 production numbers, by color. My recent purchase is an original triple Black Velvet (X9) car, and I haven’t seen one in the wild before (some in photos but not at shows, etc). Was trying to see if they were as rare as they seemed. Interesting that you mentioned you did not see many, back in the day.

D3AD9B53-E977-4E41-B04B-47F39150CB88.jpeg

Because of today's societal climate the word "Lynch" can no longer be used.

That is one of the reasons I was trying to find out about 1969 production numbers, by color. My recent purchase is an original triple Black Velvet (X9) car, and I haven’t seen one in the wild before (some in photos but not at shows, etc). Was trying to see if they were as rare as they seemed. Interesting that you mentioned you did not see many, back in the day.

View attachment 1406071
Beautiful car, caught my attention when it came on the market. Thinking it might be the last one I saw on the street, in 1971 when a high school buddy and I spent a week at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky after graduation. He was still raving about that GTX when we were catching up a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Thinking it might be the last one I saw on the street, in 1971 when a high school buddy and I spent a week at Lake Henderson in Kentucky after graduation.

Interesting you should say that; the car was purchased new by a man originally from Lawrence County Kentucky. He bought the car in Portsmouth, OH (on the KY state border).

DC88FBF0-7C60-4A68-B32C-9C14AEF50FE1.jpeg

And, to bring the story full circle…. 55 years later, the car has returned to KY, since I live in Louisville.

That is one of the reasons I was trying to find out about 1969 production numbers, by color. My recent purchase is an original triple Black Velvet (X9) car, and I haven’t seen one in the wild before (some in photos but not at shows, etc). Was trying to see if they were as rare as they seemed.
The term 'rare' is relative and often misused and overused. Let's see if we can gain any insight using real data.

The following is my work an my work only. They are not authorized factory figures. Do not quote them as such and be respectful of the data. The data only says what is says on this date. Do not try and interpret it any other way.

The data is somewhat statistically volatile due to a small sample size. The values will change over time as I add cars but I do not anticipate wide swings in the results. I think it will remain stable overall. I don't anticipate 97 or 99 paint cars suddenly overwhelming the number of B5 cars. Yet, the numbers do help us visualize the relative distribution of colors based on a random sample.

I have 562 1969 GTXs from all three plants on file. Of that, I have 385 hard tops of which I'm reasonably sure represent the original colors (one must take into account that original looking tags with the exception of color changes could be in the sample thereby skewing the distribution.)

In this sample, X9 comes in about the middle of the pack in terms of frequency. It's not a particularly 'rare' color nor particularly 'common' either. It's in the middle with colors like F3 and Y2. It's far less common than B5 or A4 but certainly more prevalent than Y3 or L1.

The numbers for convertibles is far more volatile due to a very small sample size. Adding one or two cars to this small of a sample would affect the overall results. They included for entertainment purposed only.

Enjoy

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 10.31.29 PM.jpg

P
The term 'rare' is relative and often misused and overused. Let's see if we can gain any insight using real data.

The following is my work an my work only. They are not authorized factory figures. Do not quote them as such and be respectful of the data. The data only says what is says on this date. Do not try and interpret it any other way.

Thanks so much for this info! Super helpful.

After 50 years, I had the lake wrong. My buddy and I were staying at Lake Cumberland State Park in south central KY, more of a resort than many state parks. We went off site for some groceries, and saw the GTX sitting at a gas station across the street, with a crowd gathered around it. Identical to your car, with the factory trim ring magnums, and a black interior.

Lawrence county would have been a relatively short drive away, so it may well have been the same car, the owner also vacationing at the lake. It's a relatively small world with GTXs, if my experience is any indicator.

On September 3, 1970 I test drove a '69 Dealer Demonstrator GTX that was the personal car of the local dealer in State College, PA. Fifty two years to the day later, I retired. One month later, I bought that same car.
Demo Side.jpg

The data is somewhat statistically volatile due to a small sample size. The values will change over time as I add cars but I do not anticipate wide swings in the results. I think it will remain stable overall. I don't anticipate 97 or 99 paint cars suddenly overwhelming the number of B5 cars. Yet, the numbers do help us visualize the relative distribution of colors based on a random sample.

I have 562 1969 GTXs from all three plants on file. Of that, I have 385 hard tops of which I'm reasonably sure represent the original colors (one must take into account that original looking tags with the exception of color changes could be in the sample thereby skewing the distribution.)

In this sample, X9 comes in about the middle of the pack in terms of frequency. It's not a particularly 'rare' color nor particularly 'common' either. It's in the middle with colors like F3 and Y2. It's far less common than B5 or A4 but certainly more prevalent than Y3 or L1.

The numbers for convertibles is far more volatile due to a very small sample size. Adding one or two cars to this small of a sample would affect the overall results. They included for entertainment purposed only.

Enjoy

View attachment 1406325
Dang, I need to get my Y3 Bee back!

074.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back