• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Plymouth sport satellite 318 torsion bar question

Moparsam

Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just had a quick question. I have a 1969 sport satellite 318 904 auto. I have severe negative camber. I raised car and checked the ball joints, tie rods ect. Everything seemed good ( no wobble nice and tight) new kyb shocks. I tighten the torsion bars equally and it raised the car and the negative camber temporarily went away. When I rolled and bounced the car the negative camber came back, and it lowered and inch from pre roll/ bounce. Is that the torsion bars failing? And or the front suspension or steering components failing? Or just and alignment? Thank you all for your time. Don

Raising the car will give you more negative camber. Take a look at your upper adjustment bolts. Are the cams all the way in towards the inner fenders?

Hello. The wide portion of the cam on all 4 of upper control arms bolts are facing towards the inner fenders away from the engine. When I lowered it had the same negative camber.

20200816_145900.jpg 20200816_145840.jpg 20200627_125329.jpg

Unless you extremely raise or lower the car, you won't see all that much of a change in camber but what will really wear your tires is extreme toe in or toe out. The worse situation with extreme positive camber is a ton of toe in and that's not even fun to drive em that way. Even with some neg camber, way too much toe in makes them feel weird. I usually run my cars with as much neg caster and pos camber as I can get and if the car will give me a lot of neg camber, I'll make sure it has at least 1/8" toe in. I'll use a short level on the wheel to check camber but have to take mine to a shop to make sure my caster is where I like it. Never did get around to buying a tool for my own use to check that. You can string it (have someone hold the string on the rear tires and get a good idea on the toe and heck, if you even eye ball the camber to get it close enough.

Auto Transport Service
Back