• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Roadrunner Project Car...need opinions fast

Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
I've got a time-sensitive deal in the works for purchasing a project car and need opinions on this situation quickly.

A friend of mine has a 1969 Roadrunner (pics attached) with a partial VIN that indicates it most-likely had a 440 originally with an automatic transmission. The car is pretty much stripped of all parts...seats, front grill, lights, side windows, door panels and pretty much all engine and trans components (as well as the core engine and trans). The body is in pretty good shape with rust on the floor and trunk pans (primarily surface rust, but the metal is a little thin on the driver's side). It also has good front and rear glass with the trim.

I guess what I'd like to know from you are three things:

My friend wants $1800 firm...is that a reasonable price given the condition and amount of work (based on what I know and have seen it seems like a good deal but I need some objective opinions still)?

I'm a good mechanic, but have never done a complete bottom-up restoration...how difficult of a restoration is something like this for my first time (I'm not in a rush)?

How much do you believe it will cost me to bring this vehicle back to near original condition?

Thanks in advance

3k53o53lb5Ob5Ta5S69b6331950a1e4d81979.jpg

3me3od3p75O35P75Rb9b60114ca849e8e143b.jpg

DSCF4198.JPG

DSCF4200.JPG

DSCF4197.JPG

DSCF4181.JPG

DSCF4187.JPG

DSCF4188.JPG

DSCF4195.JPG

DSCF4196.JPG

DSCF4194.JPG

3nd3m63pa5Te5S15R19b6b14554d881891026.jpg

It looks "solid" so for a rolling shell $1800 is not over priced.
Any documentation to go along with it?
What are your goals? Original show quality restoration or make it your restomod.
If your not picky about year correct seat covers, year correct block and spark plug wires etc
I'd say go for it. Lots of stuff can be found at a swap meet to get started.
I got 74 B body rear seat in my 71 fro $40 and use to have 73 Dart buckets in it I got for $80. Looked damn good too.
Just figure twice as much money and time as any estimate you come up with.

Watch out for mechanical swap parts as they may need rebuilt anyway.
This could go on forever if I stop to think about it too much.

The only 69 runner that had a 440 would have a VIN that is RM21 (or 23)M9A

anything other than that, and I have no idea what you've got.

What it costs to restore depends on what level of restoration you plan on doing. You will spend a minimum of 10 grand for an "Al's trim shop" level of resto. Double that for a nice car. Triple that for a drop dead resto

Thanks for the quick response...no paperwork at all on it. I'll probably go more along the lines of a restomod route than original show quality restoration (correct seat covers, block wires, etc). I'm a little concerned about the rust...once you start into something like this and get it cleaned up/blasted, you can start finding "little surprises" that start to add up really fast.

The partial VIN that I was passed to me (I didn't put eyes on it) contains RM21HMR9. He left the info on my voicemail and his message was garbled. He said that based on what he knew, he thought that it had a 440 in it and that he "thought" the partial VIN supported that

Good questions! And, the car looks good too! Media Blasting is a must - do on this car, and, given what you want to do. Figure on the cheap side 1500, up towards 2500 for some markets. For me to do that car, it's about 1800, but I'm in San Antonio and everything is cheap here :( You will have rot around the rear windows, trunk lid, and if the car was in salty northern roads, the rot will hide everywhere, but, it looks pretty good to work with. Figure at least 20K. Good luck!

As 69 was alluding to, the 440 was only available as a Sixpack in Road Runners thru 1971.
The GTX would have had the 440 4bbl
The partial vin including an -H- makes it a 383 4 barrel.
R---Plymouth
M---Medium price class
21---sedan/post with popout windows
H---383 single 4BBL
M--- would be the sixpack 440
9---1969
R---Built in Windsor/Ontario canada

Price seems fair to me and it looks like a relatively solid piece. If this is your price range you will not find one more solid and it is a Road Runner so it has that going for it too.

As 69 was alluding to, the 440 was only available as a Sixpack in Road Runners thru 1971.
The GTX would have had the 440 4bbl
The partial vin including an -H- makes it a 383 4 barrel.
R---Plymouth
M---Medium price class
21---sedan/post with popout windows
H---383 single 4BBL
M--- would be the sixpack 440
9---1969
R---Built in Windsor/Ontario canada

The VIN numbers still don't make sense.

It should be RM21*9#.
The * would be the engine and could be H=383, J=426 or M = 440/6
The # would be A=Lynch Road, E= LA, or G=St, Louis.
69 RR's were not built at the Windsor plant.

If it's a resto mod, the original equipment really doesn't matter.

Look at the steering wheel, it doesn't look to be a RR one, even a Satellite wheel. Not that this is a big deal maker/breaker, just that steering wheels are likely not changed too often - this may also go hand in hand with the VIN discrepancies.

I bought my car in a similar level of completeness. If it’s anything like my car keep in mind you will be tracking down many many small parts and clips and brackets and stuff like that. Try to factor in the time and expense for that too, it’s easy to overlook.

Car looks solid though.

Good point. As far as I know, that wheel was NOT available in a runner, but it's one of the easiest things to change on a car. As far as I know, the one I have pictured here is the only style that didn't have a runner in the pad.

Price seems pretty fair I guess if it's really that solid. Understand that (unless there are boxes of parts included) this car will nickel and dime you to death.

P0001949.jpg

I had Runners and GTXs , neither had this style wheel, Could it be from a base model Belvedere , either way a 40 year old car has a good chance that it could have been replaced for some unknown reason,

I had Runners and GTXs , neither had this style wheel, Could it be from a base model Belvedere , either way a 40 year old car has a good chance that it could have been replaced for some unknown reason,

The base Belvedere and standard Road Runner steering wheel can be seen in the post just above yours.

Go to legendary interiors web site. they will send you a free catalog. It will give you a good idea what it will cost to do a lot of what you need or replaced.

Yeah 1800 for a solid roller is pretty legit, but you gotta consider you budget, too. Me I look for the most for the money. If your dead set on a Roadrunner, thats a good price for a Real Roadrunner eventhough its missing alot....I would definately try to find a complete satellite/belvedere for parts. Or I would move on to something more complete, Example, I bought a really nice running driving 73 Rallye Charger original 340 car now 360, still has its #'s matching 4 speed, I got all new interior with it (I had to install it). Right before I bought it previous owner installed, New edlebrock intake and carb, new wheels and tires, new brakes, shocks and tie rods, and a few other odds and ends. Since I bought it I installed the interior, replaced the clutch, and painted engine bay and engine while replacing the clutch. Now I have a nice solid running driving B-body the could use a new coat of paint (hopefully in the next year). Right now I just have a little over double what that roller costs.
So my advise is unless you really want that Roadrunner, hold out a better bang for the buck will probably surface for you.

Good luck,
Jason

Auto Transport Service
Back