• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 RR Rear Leaf Springs

1969 beep beep

Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I am in the market for a new set of leaf springs. Can someone please help me decide on which setup to purchase. I currently have 7 leafs but they look tired, so I have read some poor reviews about the MP XHD springs being weak. I may purchase them from ESPO but they offer 6 leafs and 6 + 1 leafs. I can't decide which to purchase. Does anyone know if the 6 leafs will give the same height as the MP XHD. Here is what mine look like currently. If any has an pics that would be helpful. I do not want the rake look. 4222013 003.jpg

Eaton springs. Great support. I installed stock plus 1inch and they were great

I haven't heard anything bad about the hd springs and have used 3 sets in the past 5 years. My local Chrysler dealer had the best pricing.

FFLosAngeles2013 075.jpg I think your car sits nice now just as it is. My R/T was hanging a little when loaded for trips with luggage for two plus beer. Two truck leafs were ordered from Summit and trimmed and inserted. Gave just about one inch boost which I like. Personal preferance. 159 thousand miles.

The ones I currently have are sitting almost straight and at one time someone added 2 leafs to them which now gives me a total of 7. It also looks like the pinion snubber is hitting the floor board. So I wanted to replace them and maybe raise it an inch. I ordered a set of 6 + 1 from Espo. I hope its not more than an inch higher than now.

I think your springs are fine. You just need to turn your front down about an inch. Nice car, I like that one a lot.

If you want the rear end raised, get the springs. But if you're just worried about the fact that they're flat, that's okay. At least according to the Mopar Suspension manual which states that the car will handle best when the springs are flat, not arched.

I dunno... It looks ok to me. My rear springs are almost straight too. Higher springs will give it a rake.

Image1.jpg

View attachment 149004 I think your car sits nice now just as it is. My R/T was hanging a little when loaded for trips with luggage for two plus beer. Two truck leafs were ordered from Summit and trimmed and inserted. Gave just about one inch boost which I like. Personal preferance. 159 thousand miles.

Sweet car! any more pics? Thinking of some new tires / rims and id like to se a pic from the side. Looks like you have the stance perfect

I would like to see the back 1 inch higher and the front does have to go down an inch. I will post some pics when there installed.

From what I can see in the photo, your car looks like it's sitting about perfect to me. I have a '68 Satellite and installed Hotchkis leafs, which dropped the rear a little less than an inch, but stiffened it up some. If I had to do it again, for the money I spent I would have left them alone. The Hotchkis leafs are nice and great quality, but slightly stiff for the street. My 2nd choice would be Eaton XHD (Hemi) Springs with the +1 inch choice. I've heard great things about that brand and several members on here are very happy with them. Don't get the SS (super stock) springs unless you want to jack the back up and have a stiffer ride.

Hi, I am in the market for a new set of leaf springs. Can someone please help me decide on which setup to purchase. I currently have 7 leafs but they look tired, so I have read some poor reviews about the MP XHD springs being weak. I may purchase them from ESPO but they offer 6 leafs and 6 + 1 leafs. I can't decide which to purchase. Does anyone know if the 6 leafs will give the same height as the MP XHD. Here is what mine look like currently. If any has an pics that would be helpful. I do not want the rake look.View attachment 148633

FWIW
I put new Mopar Performance XHD leaf springs on my '69 Super Bee back in 1995 and they're still fine!
I had read a while back that some people were unhappy with the Mopar XHD springs because of them sagging. So, recently (April 2013) when I was looking for new rear leafs for a '68 Coronet I picked up I was hesitant to buy these Mopar pieces, but I took a chance and bought/installed them on the Coronet and so far they are fine. No sag, etc.

I have those XHD Springs in my 66 Coronet.... they are fine . The old ( first ones ! ) were shoot after 47 years... so I bought the XHD
Springs... I also rebuilt the frontend... incl 0.96 T Bars... now it handels great !
Greetings Juergen

B.T.W my front sits @ 3/4 inch lower now.... ( srewed "her " down a little while rebuilding the frontend )

The ones I currently have are sitting almost straight and at one time someone added 2 leafs to them which now gives me a total of 7. It also looks like the pinion snubber is hitting the floor board. So I wanted to replace them and maybe raise it an inch. I ordered a set of 6 + 1 from Espo. I hope its not more than an inch higher than now.

11B0BB89-EAD4-43CA-980F-56E97B3EA728.jpeg
8174C11F-6D09-4F70-B1CA-822EBC82841D.jpeg
77136933-B6B6-4C4A-8EAB-1634AA858176.jpeg

These pics are all using the Espo spring plus 1

275/60/15 tire. If you need me to measure the rear quarter inner lip to the ground I can.

Auto Transport Service
Back