• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Air grabber electronic conversation

CONGRATULATIONS......EXCELLENT ADAPTATION AND CLEAN LOOKING INSTALLATION.
A few questions if I may .....
1. When energized open, upon shutdown, will it close automatically like the vacuum operated unit, via the under dash mounted relay and spring? I assume that the actuator must be powered ON to open.
2. The origional dash mounted air grabber "switch" is really a valve, directing the vacuum signal to/from the actuator and solenoid. Is your air grabber control device a D.P.D.T switch, that reverses the polarity of the actuator's motor?
3. Does the actuator have its own internal end of travel limit switches to stop the open/close action or does the driver place the open/close switch in an "off" position when the actuator is open or retracted ?
4. Are you going to market the individual pieces and parts? Where can I purchase the linear actuator?
Again... Great effort
BOB RENTON
Go on YouTube n search Mopar electric air grabber conversion.. For video

Thanks for the info on the actuator and switch, I have a hidden headlight conversion I want to do to my old 68 Chrysler wagon but have to mount the grille upside down so couldn't use the factory motor, this might be the solution I have been looking for. :thumbsup:

CONGRATULATIONS......EXCELLENT ADAPTATION AND CLEAN LOOKING INSTALLATION.
A few questions if I may .....

RJ, quick question. I saw in another post you sent your actuator to Wilson's for rebuild. Did it ever get finished and returned to you? Did or does it work? Mine has been there for a couple of months and I'm wondering if going this electronic way may be the better route. I was thinking of whether it could fit inside a stock cannister and run the wiring through the vacuum hose.

Great write up. I just finished mine using a much smaller actuator. Time will tell how durable it proves to be, but for $20 to the door, I’m not out much if it fails.

8218B602-67B3-4C5A-AB63-57D35DD10203.jpeg

D3CA3C3C-DB7D-486F-A589-0479F2850933.jpeg

6A4CB7D0-5A5C-45C5-BDED-3268475A14D4.jpeg

06D81FF7-0CD8-4007-AFD0-023F28445BD1.jpeg

what actuator did you use and where did you get it? Is that the stock mount?
Yes, that is the stock mount and arm. I removed the vacuum cylinder and made aluminum brackets to hold the actuator. I bent the arm over to let the actuator center in the original mount. The actuator is a 2” micro unit off of ebay.
Ebay Actuator

Auto Transport Service
Back