• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 bucket reupholsery using 1973 frame. Are the frames same size?

MOPLUM

Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
I have 1973 bucket seats in my shop. I have a 1970 Roadrunner. I want to reupholster the 1973 seats with 1970 seat foam, Upholstery and backs. I know the plastic backs are different. I dont know what the difference is. I have been reading for years that 1970 was a one year bucket seat year. So what was the mystical 1970 difference in bucket seats? The back panel hinge cover or overall width? Seat Mount? Frame size? Seat foam size? Upholstery style only? I would like to know as much as I can before I order a couple grand in all new interior.

Photon440, thanks for directing me to that thread. It was very interesting. Most was in reference to 71 and newer bucket seats. But there was one or two remarks of 1970 seats. From what I gather is 1970 is the same as all the newer buckets, other than the plastic back cover because of the hinge. 1970 has a metal cover.

Mopar seat frames

I have 1973 bucket seats in my shop. I have a 1970 Roadrunner. I want to reupholster the 1973 seats with 1970 seat foam, Upholstery and backs. I know the plastic backs are different. I dont know what the difference is. I have been reading for years that 1970 was a one year bucket seat year. So what was the mystical 1970 difference in bucket seats? The back panel hinge cover or overall width? Seat Mount? Frame size? Seat foam size? Upholstery style only? I would like to know as much as I can before I order a couple grand in all new interior.
The 1970 and 1971 seat frames are the same. !972 and newer use a different backrest because of the different backrest release buttons. Other than that they are the same.
Gary

1971 covers and foam fit on 1976 frames, so I suspect they are all the same from 70-79.

Auto Transport Service
Back