• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Charger 500

drmx1

Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

I have been working with FCA cars (mostly Hellcats) for the last 10 years in Germany.
Modern cars bore me, so I bought a 1970 Charger 500 in very good condition and I want to give the 2nd life for this car.
It looks savage and has to run the same, so my point is getting 10-11 sec for 1/4 mile.

But it's my first retro experience and I'm a little confused about what to do now. I hope you can give me some advices that I can avoid mistakes with reassembling a new chassis.

First things first, so what engine + trans you can advise for stable and fast run? Is there any chance to improve the current 318 engine, maybe adding a supercharger or it must be a new engine.

photo_2023-01-03_17-53-53.jpg

Put a HellCat crate engine and transmission in it if you want to go that quick! Can't think of how much money it would cost to make
a 318 put out enough power! Nice project!

Congrats and you can get over 4oo hp out of that 318. I bought a 70 Charger last year and want to stroke the 318. You could pull it and drop a 383 or 440 if you want a big block. I want to keep my car original and everyone has a BB in their chargers.

IMG_20220902_172310 (1).jpg

They make stroker crank for a 318 or you can go with boost. Typically your better off finding a 360 or 340 to start with though. We once had a mild built 318 that we turbocharged in a 72 Satellite. It was likely around 450-500hp depending on the boost we ran, still drove great. Could have been a lot more power if we went with bigger cam and aftermarket heads. We really had it screaming a few times. The engine had a mild cam and 4 barrel....plus a turbo. The last time it ran we did a burnout with 3.23 in drive with the tachometer and 150mph speedometer against the pegs....Good times.

We are about to drop in a 542 bb now in that car. We are big block guys. I get a kick out of a old mopar beating the new iron. I HAVE never regretted stroking a engine or installing a BB....just saying.

If you want to do a nasty but streetable small block check out dvw posts in this thread:360 magnum

Last edited:
If you want a 4,000 lbs Charger to run 10 or 11 seconds in the quarter you need to get rid of that 318 now.
I've stuck with my 318 poly and stroked it and I'm happy, but I want a 13 second cruiser, not what you're aiming for.

Put a HellCat crate engine and transmission in it if you want to go that quick! Can't think of how much money it would cost to make
a 318 put out enough power! Nice project!

I saw some projects with this engine + trans, but I'm fed up with hellcat generation, really want to try carb engines.

They make stroker crank for a 318 or you can go with boost. Typically your better off finding a 360 or 340 to start with though. We once had a mild built 318 that we turbocharged in a 72 Satellite. It was likely around 450-500hp depending on the boost we ran, still drove great. Could have been a lot more power if we went with bigger cam and aftermarket heads. We really had it screaming a few times. The engine had a mild cam and 4 barrel....plus a turbo. The last time it ran we did a burnout with 3.23 in drive with the tachometer and 150mph speedometer against the pegs....Good times.

We are about to drop in a 542 bb now in that car. We are big block guys. I get a kick out of a old mopar beating the new iron. I HAVE never regretted stroking a engine or installing a BB....just saying.

If you want to do a nasty but streetable small block check out dvw posts in this thread:360 magnum

the fact is now I choose between 340/360 and bolt on kit from blueprint Chrysler Compatible Engine / Transmission Combos

but what trans I can connect to 340 magnum?

big block 4 speed. start with that, old school stuff. go from there. you need to learn the past to see how we got to where we are. use a carb. no electronic crap except the ignition. see how well you can do.

I think you have to decide first if you want a 10 second car at the track OR a car that is quick and still fun to drive around town and out on the open road
If you think winding up a small block fast enough to get your goal time with 411 gears in the back will be fun around town will wear off kind of fast when you can only get 10 miles from home and back with the small engine screaming to get anywhere

My 2 cents worth

the fact is now I choose between 340/360 and bolt on kit from blueprint Chrysler Compatible Engine / Transmission Combos

but what trans I can connect to 340 magnum?
I would rebuild the transmission you have now with a shift kit and a good stall convertor. If it has a 318 in it...most any small block should fit in front of it. Just make sure it has the proper flexpate and convertor for balancing. The 904 is a great transmission. There is a lot of aftermarket parts to really beef it up, if necessary. You could also upgrade to a modern overdrive transmission, but it doesn't sound like it would be in your timeline, usually od transmissions require some transmission tunnel mods and electronics to make them work.
Here is what a lowly 904 behind a small block is capable of:

big block 4 speed. start with that, old school stuff. go from there. you need to learn the past to see how we got to where we are. use a carb. no electronic crap except the ignition. see how well you can do.

well, that's my idea, no pcm, no tcm, no esp, just 4 wheels, 2 hands and 1/4 mile against modern german car market

I think you have to decide first if you want a 10 second car at the track OR a car that is quick and still fun to drive around town and out on the open road
If you think winding up a small block fast enough to get your goal time with 411 gears in the back will be fun around town will wear off kind of fast when you can only get 10 miles from home and back with the small engine screaming to get anywhere

My 2 cents worth

sure it should be a fast, but daily car, no e85 fuel, but a competition for m5 f90.

it's a crime to keep this car in the garage in use it once per month.

I would rebuild the transmission you have now with a shift kit and a good stall convertor. If it has a 318 in it...most any small block should fit in front of it. Just make sure it has the proper flexpate and convertor for balancing. The 904 is a great transmission. There is a lot of aftermarket parts to really beef it up, if necessary. You could also upgrade to a modern overdrive transmission, but it doesn't sound like it would be in your timeline, usually od transmissions require some transmission tunnel mods and electronics to make them work.
Here is what a lowly 904 behind a small block is capable of:

904 looks very solid, will check how I can connect it

Those blueprint engines you linked come with a 727 transmission. I assume your car has a 904 but it could have a 727? Take a look.. Driveshaft length and yoke is different.
Blueprint engines are built here in Central Nebraska, where I live. Neither is going to make enough power to put your charger in the 11's though. Imo... Your going to need more. But they would run hard and be fun to drive.

Last edited:
Those blueprint engines you linked come with a 727 transmission. I assume your car has a 904 but it could have a 727? Take a look.. Driveshaft length and yoke is different.
Blueprint engines are built here in Central Nebraska, where I live. Neither is going to make enough power to put your charger in the 11's though. Imo... Your going to need more. But they would run hard and be fun to drive.

anyway blueprint told me any mopar engines are out of stock until march, so I look for other options.

I personally owned a 70 Road Runner, factory 383 4speed car, with the engine somewhat modded, 508 lift cam, single plane Edelbrock intake, Holley 750 carburetor, upped the compression a little, (11.5-1) stock heads ported a bit, some other minor stuff, & blueprinted, (very important) & drag radials. The car ran mid to high 11s all day, driven to the track, (Atco & Englishtown) raced it then drove it home afterwards, 1 to 1 1/2 hour ride each way with 4.10 gears. It can be done fairly easy w/a 383 (they are very under rated in my opinion) I sold the car to a friend 10 years ago & it's STILL a beast. Rides pretty nice too. It can be done easy with a big block.

I personally owned a 70 Road Runner, factory 383 4speed car, with the engine somewhat modded, 508 lift cam, single plane Edelbrock intake, Holley 750 carburetor, upped the compression a little, (11.5-1) stock heads ported a bit, some other minor stuff, & blueprinted, (very important) & drag radials. The car ran mid to high 11s all day, driven to the track, (Atco & Englishtown) raced it then drove it home afterwards, 1 to 1 1/2 hour ride each way with 4.10 gears. It can be done fairly easy w/a 383 (they are very under rated in my opinion) I sold the car to a friend 10 years ago & it's STILL a beast. Rides pretty nice too. It can be done easy with a big block.

sounds good, what trans did you have? what type/size of rear end? front brakes 4pistons or 6 pistons?

The factory 883 trans. that it came with, factory 8 3/4" rear with 4.10 gears, Mickey Thompson 275/60r15 Drag radials & it had the original 4-wheel manual drum drakes all around. When my friend bought it, had had 4 piston Wilwood brakes installed on the front, still manual brakes though, & 3.55 gears to make it more cruise friendly. Paying attention to details & cleanliness when building an engine will make a BIG difference. I know I have pictures of it somewhere, I just have to find them. P.S. I got the car from the original owner's son.

Auto Transport Service
Back