• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Charger 500

If you want to stay smallblock, here's what I've done in the past. I had a Mopar Performance 360/380 crate motor in my '72 Satellite wagon, Edelbrock 650cfm, and a Holley red pump. 727 trans, reverse/manual valve body, 2400 stall converter. Factory 3.23 SG rear, 489 case 8.75". Mopar SS/D rear leaf springs, and air shocks. Pump 93 and street tires, it was a rock-solid high-12/low-13 second street car. Full interior, stereo, glass, wipers, seats, carpet - STREET car. 2.5" duals to the bumper, with Super Turbo mufflers. I'd run it at the track; I'd make 1400 mile round trips from Maryland to Florida for vacations; I'd drive it to Lowes to get plywood (a 4x8 sheet fits with the tailgate closed) or out on just about any errands. It's a wagon. .

The crate motor was based on a 360 Magnum engine, with better heads, a monster cam (288/292 with .513 lift, I think), single plane intake, and I think I ran old school long tube headers. Still a smallblock; the only giveaway was the 10 bolt valve covers.

You CAN build a hot smallblock, but if you want to keep the original 318 I'd give up on the 10 second goal, honestly.

That wagon (still have it) currently has a mild LA 360 in it...and I may either throw boost at it via Procharger and a Sniper setup, or swap in a 5.7 Hemi I have sitting in the garage. Undecided.

guys, does it look like rear end 8 1/4"? I found a chart, but asking just to make sure.

photo_2023-02-02_15-57-17.jpg

If you want to stay smallblock, here's what I've done in the past. I had a Mopar Performance 360/380 crate motor in my '72 Satellite wagon, Edelbrock 650cfm, and a Holley red pump. 727 trans, reverse/manual valve body, 2400 stall converter. Factory 3.23 SG rear, 489 case 8.75". Mopar SS/D rear leaf springs, and air shocks. Pump 93 and street tires, it was a rock-solid high-12/low-13 second street car. Full interior, stereo, glass, wipers, seats, carpet - STREET car. 2.5" duals to the bumper, with Super Turbo mufflers. I'd run it at the track; I'd make 1400 mile round trips from Maryland to Florida for vacations; I'd drive it to Lowes to get plywood (a 4x8 sheet fits with the tailgate closed) or out on just about any errands. It's a wagon. .

The crate motor was based on a 360 Magnum engine, with better heads, a monster cam (288/292 with .513 lift, I think), single plane intake, and I think I ran old school long tube headers. Still a smallblock; the only giveaway was the 10 bolt valve covers.

You CAN build a hot smallblock, but if you want to keep the original 318 I'd give up on the 10 second goal, honestly.

That wagon (still have it) currently has a mild LA 360 in it...and I may either throw boost at it via Procharger and a Sniper setup, or swap in a 5.7 Hemi I have sitting in the garage. Undecided.

I decided to go with current 318, will rebuild it and look what I get. Next year will change for bigger one.

I guess my diff looks very nice, just need to change a gasket and oil

photo_2023-02-04_15-59-00.jpg

The new method is just to use RTV, no gasket.

Thats not the new method that's the lazy incorrect method
False, lipshitz.
Ma Mopar has been doing this for differential covers and transmission pans for years.
"Incorrect" ?

1 FPP.JPG

False, lipshitz.
Ma Mopar has been doing this for differential covers and transmission pans for years.
"Incorrect" ?

View attachment 1413065
RTV is incorrect for a 70 charger. There was no RTV in 70. it came with a gasket. Im well aware of what ma mopar does, Im a mechanic for 35 years. You build houses I fix cars. If its a choice between a gasket Or RTV ill always use a gasket. Thats how its done.

because I pulled out a cross pin
That makes sense, I didnt notice the pin out till Remcharger posted.
For your future goals I would plan on a rearend upgrade if you want to make power. The 8 1/4 isn't going to like much power before it gives up. Rather then messing with it...switch up to a 8 3/4, or Dana 60 and a sure grip.
Some guys use Ford 8.8 and 9" rears, which is also a upgrade over a 8-1/4...but...obviously not mopar.

RTV is incorrect for a 70 charger. There was no RTV in 70. it came with a gasket. Im well aware of what ma mopar does, Im a mechanic for 35 years. You build houses I fix cars. If its a choice between a gasket Or RTV ill always use a gasket. Thats how its done.
No, that is how you want to do it. It was how it was done when new, sure. No argument there.
Do you still use a rotary phone? Still take the train to work? Does your wife have a martini and slippers ready when you get home?
No. I really doubt it.
Things change. Advancements come along and we either take advantage of them or we don't. RTV will work, a gasket will work too.

One is "correct" for a restoration; either will seal the cover and prevent leaks.

I just searched the gasket vs RTV argument for my own knowledge and there seems to be a lot of weight in favor of the gasket.
Felpro say use a gasket and list some valid reasons why, but obviously they would say that as they sell gaskets. How to Seal a Differential Cover

It somewhat depends on whether you're doing this at home yourself and have the time to wait for the RTV to cure, or whether you're working commercially and need cars & trucks fixed and out the door (in which case gaskets seem to be the better choice).

I just searched the gasket vs RTV argument for my own knowledge and there seems to be a lot of weight in favor of the gasket.
Felpro say use a gasket and list some valid reasons why, but obviously they would say that as they sell gaskets. How to Seal a Differential Cover

It somewhat depends on whether you're doing this at home yourself and have the time to wait for the RTV to cure, or whether you're working commercially and need cars & trucks fixed and out the door (in which case gas

Ma Mopar started using RTV of some sort instead of gaskets at least 20 years ago. The OEMs hate leaks due to warranty costs.

a0565ba0-c4ec-44db-9e5c-4fe014b783c8.jpg

guys, don't make a noise. I take a new gasket and add over RTV. Diff is being like a sandwich. No more disputes.

working on my new 727 trans, besides a trans, what else do I need to install?

- torque converter
- 727 yoke
- cooler and hoses
- shifter (how to connect it with oem dash?)
- ???

Auto Transport Service
Back