• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 R/T

Glew

Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
Interested in getting this charger R/T. Seller wants 11k for it. What should I look for on this car besides the frame rails and Vin?

Screenshot_20200518-022826__01.jpg Screenshot_20200518-022832__01.jpg Screenshot_20200518-023543__01.jpg Screenshot_20200518-024443__01.jpg

Look for rust around the back glass and the trunk. As well as floor pans front to rear and quarter panels etc etc..

From what I see, take it for 11k as quickly as possible and run.

That looks like a nicely optioned Charger R/T, I would close the deal on that one. Bring 11 grand, but flash 10 grand in cash and see if he takes it.

Just for shits and grins, a question for you guys that know such things:
Ballpark, how much we talking to restore that critter?

FC7, console auto with power windows???? You better act TODAY!

Reasonable price to purchase but there are untold areas that probably need rescue, trunk floor and extensions, quarter panel repair or replacement, rear window lips, inner wheel wells, possibly cabin floor patches or complete replacement, frame rails, torsion bar cross member, front aprons, lower valance...etc. the list could get big in a hurry. You could easily be looking at 10-15 thousand in sheet metal repair/replacement before you know it. With all that said, it's not for the faint of heart or shallow pockets brother but in the end it's a RT Charger so...
Good luck :thumbsup:

Basket case 68-70 Charger R/T's selling for 15-20k....Don't tarry

If you are looking to buy it and restore the car for yourself then it would cost what it costs to restore a 70 Charger R/T. If you are buying the car to make money, then you would be better off flipping it as is,verses restoring it to flip for profit. It will be a really great car to restore, and it is a real R/T.

With the prices on these cars so expensive right now you could buy it, restore it, enjoy it and still make $$$ when sold 2-4 years later! And the later you have it the more it will increase. Take a look at what these cars, nicely done 68-70 R/T's have been actually selling for.

Most 68 to 70 Chargers will need to have the rear quarters, trunk floor, trunk extensions, outer wheel wells, Dutch panel, rear crossmember, rear valance pan and corners replaced. That's almost guaranteed. Some need rear frame rails, tortion bar cross member, rocker panels and floor pan replacement as well, sometimes even roof skin and roof structure repair as well. Until the car is dismantled and you can see how much metal work is needed, it can be hard to tell how much is required to be replaced. Check all of the areas I stated,as well as the cowl, firewall and inner fenders as well. By looking at the photos, I would say that it will need atleast the first part of what I stated in this thread. Most of the 70 specific parts appear to be present, and in restorable condition, and those parts can be expensive and difficult to locate. Other than the front valance pan,and front bumper, none of the 70 front end parts are being reproduced. So it is a big plus that those parts are present, and restorable.

You are looking at $30 - 60K to restore it depending on how bad it is (or good depending on your view point) and how good (accurate) you want it to be, who does the work, etc. Over the top 100 point restorations are into the 6 figures if everything is farmed out to a very good shop. Not a real quick endeavor either, most good shops are backed up several years from what am hearing, if you are going to do it yourself or most of it, then it could be quicker if you have the time and skill to do it.

"be quicker if you have the time and skill to do it." Always the best option and the one I was referencing.

Worry about restoring it later. 11k is a steal. If you decide you can’t restore it; it’s not the hardest car to sell..... aahhhhh forget it all this dicking around you probably missed it anyway....

You would probably want to make sure if the numbers on the engine and trans match the VIN on the fender tag and dash VIN plate. Wouldnt be a bad Idea to pop out the rear seat cushion and look for the build sheet as well. Having the numbers match greatly impact the value of the vehicle in its present state as well as running/restored state.

Prices for these vehicles have only gone up in recent years and the cost to restore has gone up as well. I see it is in a field, but getting under the car is crucial in a pre-purchase inspection.

another thing that should be done is see if the engine can rotate 360 degrees.

Auto Transport Service
Back