• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Rear End-Caps Paint W/WO Car?

On '69's those extensions were installed at the factory (no gasket) and seam sealed before paint. I know this because I bought my car 50 years ago in original condition. When I disassembled the car a few years back there were no gaskets in there no need, the seam sealer served the purpose. But its seems every bodyman and painter wants to paint them separately.

On '69's those extensions were installed at the factory (no gasket) and seam sealed before paint. I know this because I bought my car 50 years ago in original condition. When I disassembled the car a few years back there were no gaskets in there no need, the seam sealer served the purpose. But its seems every bodyman and painter wants to paint them separately.
The problem with painting them together, with today's materials it's so thick and unlike liquor it continually shrinks over time. This system doesn't work over seams. It will delaminate over a short amount of time. Although wrapping the material around the edges of the parts helps this not to mention looks better, it doesn't completely solve the problem.
Today's refinishing materials are just too thick.

Auto Transport Service
Back