• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Satellite AC/Heater Questions

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am finishing my paint and am planning to start assembly. My dash is completely out (see picture). I am trying to figure out assembly sequencing and should I go aftermarket or stock hvac. I have all the original ac equipment.

Can I install an aftermarket set up with the dash back in? What about ductwork etc? Which system have you guys used and how difficult was it to put in? Roughly what was the cost in doing it?

Was also thinking about rebuilding the original hvac system and doing in two parts. The first the interior system before the dash then later down the road hooking it and installing the remaining system in the engine bay when time and money permits. Would that approach make sense?

Any recommendations and advice is appreciated!

image.jpg

My self I would do it now. Its your call Vintage or Classic. I used Classic. Looking at about 2 grand.

I would use the original AC system inside the vehicle and use updated components (compressor) on the engine side. I have OEM AC in my 69 and everything works fine.

This car is original A/C but none of it worked from the day I bought it in 2000.

01 Gger.JPG

Everything would have needed to be gone through. I never liked the cluttered look of factory A/C in these cars so it made more sense to go aftermarket for me. The block off panels provided in the kit look tacky to me, but the only way to make it work. I'm tempted to make some modifications if/when I repaint the car.....patch the firewall holes and drill specific holes to fit the A/C and heater fittings only.

CAA 9.jpg

I added Classic Air A/C to my 1970 Road Runner when I restored it in 2015. My system has been flawless and has worked great.

I put my under dash airbox in before I installed the rest of my dash. I believe it is significantly easier to do it that way rather than adding it later. Whatever you do, get the airbox ready to go and install that now. Plus, you will need to drill a couple of small holes to install it.

I have to run out, so I don't have time now, but let me know if you'd like a couple of build pictures of mine. I'm sure I have a few laying around and happy to share if you think that would help you.

Hawk

I added Classic Air A/C to my 1970 Road Runner when I restored it in 2015. My system has been flawless and has worked great.

I put my under dash airbox in before I installed the rest of my dash. I believe it is significantly easier to do it that way rather than adding it later. Whatever you do, get the airbox ready to go and install that now. Plus, you will need to drill a couple of small holes to install it.

I have to run out, so I don't have time now, but let me know if you'd like a couple of build pictures of mine. I'm sure I have a few laying around and happy to share if you think that would help you.

Hawk
Hawk yes that would be great to see pictures! What part of your old system does your classic air system ( if any ) use?

I would do the upgrade while you can fit everything and make it easy for you. Cost is always a factor but doing it while everything is out going to make it easy to handle.

Hawk yes that would be great to see pictures! What part of your old system does your classic air system ( if any ) use?
My 70 Road Runner never had A/C. The mice had overtaken my non-A/C heater box anyway. The Classic Air system I installed replaced pretty much everything to do with my heating system, except for the defrost vents in my dash.

Here are some pics. First, here is the stock, non-A/C firewall.
IMG_2012.JPG

Here is the same firewall after I drilled the holes needed for the A/C system.
IMG_2013.JPG

Here is the heater box mocked up in the car prior to restoration, and then later as I was putting the car together. (Note hammer handle holding it up in the first image!)
IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

Classic Air provided an all new plate with the controls, but it was a black painted metal piece. I didn't like that, so I adapted the new A/C controls into an original plate.
IMG_3009.JPG

My A/C compressor is not standard, it is hidden below the alternator where the fuel pump would normally sit, so the plumbing for that was fully customized.

I might have more images of things if needed - let me know if there is a view or image you were hoping to see.

Hey thanks Hawk! Did that fire wall insulation pad come with the kit? Did you use that as a template to drill the holes on the firewall?

Hey thanks Hawk! Did that fire wall insulation pad come with the kit? Did you use that as a template to drill the holes on the firewall?
No and No. The firewall insulation was a separate kit. I can't remember where I got it from, but it was a large kit with all the insulation needed for the car.

The Classic Air kit came with a paper template for drilling holes. You can actually go to their web site and download the template if you want to compare it to your actual firewall.
IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

I would trust that template as far as I would condoms from Harbor Freight. The way to make sure you get it right is to mock up the HVAC unit and mark the firewall to match where the drain exits the HVAC box. Pull the box to drill the hole, install the box for good.

I would trust that template as far as I would condoms from Harbor Freight. The way to make sure you get it right is to mock up the HVAC unit and mark the firewall to match where the drain exits the HVAC box. Pull the box to drill the hole, install the box for good.
Maybe your onto something KD I used to buy all my condoms at Harbor Freight and now when I shop there all of my 13 kids come with me.

If it helps any . . . when I did my 70 Sport Satellite, I restored the factory AC that it came with, including the RV2 compressor . . . think I have like 50hours in the under dash unit . . . at any rate, it is ice cold. System charged with R134a . . . got the hoses, and evaporator & heater core from Classic Air . . . only had to get it recharged once, in the 12 years since I have done it. It is a true FC7, AC, console, buckets (6way manual drivers), cruise ctl, car . . .

Satellite Leth May 2013 resize.jpg

Satellite2 Leth May 2013.jpg

Redone Interior.jpg

Calgary-20120714-00217.jpg

IMGP0001.JPG

IMGP0003.JPG

IMGP0002.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back