• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Super Bee: Thoughts on this car for sale? And intro from Minnesota.

Do you have a link to that original sale ad?

If even that after shipping. The cynic in me is much more skeptical than even before with this new timeline. I get the feeling this car is even worse than we realize and he just wants to dump it after buying sight unseen. He hasn't even owned it a month. Has the paper title even mailed yet? When he added $23K+ for "paint" my first thought was that should cover a hell of a lot more than just paint.
The ad no longer exists. The info I shared is from when I and friends discussed the car.

Think you are thinking right on price. Assuming it is a full matching V-code. If it drives nice. And body numbers are matching tag/vin. (Also look at the carb/intake. To see if original.) And you are not seeing any obvious troublesome areas on body/frame. But just as important. If you like the car and the feel? Then I wouldn't be too embarrassed in the upper $30s.

I know that's alot of "What ifs" to check off. But don't let us spook you either.

He wants $42k. You want to pay $35k. And car checks out to what he claims? And feels nice in your hands. Like its yours? Then $38k is not a bad compromise.
Perhaps if he had a better method of communication but I sure ain't flying out to TX to deal with the guy I spoke to. Or more like attempted to speak to.

I personally only once bought a car that I had not seen in person. If you are really interested in the car,you need to have a knowledgeable person in the area inspect the car in person and give you a detailed inspection report. It would be less than the cost of a plane ticket.

Agree to above. Whatever car you consider buying, I would only buy if I inspected first hand. I bring Tyveks, a mirror, a magnet, flashlight, and part number info when I go look. "Some" people's idea of "no rust," "runs good," and "nice paint," way different than my perception. Plane tickets are cheap by comparison, I have no regrets on the two flights I took across the country and didn't buy trips. The one A12 car I looked at in the NE was real, but it would have cost probably cost several times the purchase price to make nice.

Perhaps if he had a better method of communication but I sure ain't flying out to TX to deal with the guy I spoke to. Or more like attempted to speak to.
Doesn't sound like it started well. Perhaps the seller has had lots of inquiries and lowballers. I've seen that where seller is already crabby. But got to trust your instincts too. Good luck. And good hunting.

Doesn't sound like it started well. Perhaps the seller has had lots of inquiries and lowballers. I've seen that where seller is already crabby. But got to trust your instincts too. Good luck. And good hunting.
Not the case. Well I don't think so. I tracked him down independently to circumvent the middle man. And I was super polite. If you want Bring A trailer money you offer Bring A Trailer style info. And those consignment sellers don't know what they are even doing half the time. There's a nice '68 Charger on ebay with a 440 they have listed as a 440 6pak. It isn't a six pack. In the same add he calls it a 6 pack and a 4 bbl. I don't even know how these guys stay in business. Every time I start reading the info on a high dollar classic on ebay it's jsut a cut and paste from wikipedia with, at best, a minimal effort to describe the specific car in stock.

I saw a nice black 68 Charger R/T on there with gold interior and a gold tailstripe for 59k. You can't build one for that in these times!

Trying to find where I saw the ad,it was this week. I thought it was on Ebay. Might have been another site. it was at a dealer. I found it,check Craigslist,Boston Cars and Trucks for sale. Type in 1968,and the ad will come right up. It says the car is in Lexington Kentucky. It's a pretty car. 440 automatic car. Real Charger R/T.

Not the case. Well I don't think so. I tracked him down independently to circumvent the middle man. And I was super polite. If you want Bring A trailer money you offer Bring A Trailer style info. And those consignment sellers don't know what they are even doing half the time. There's a nice '68 Charger on ebay with a 440 they have listed as a 440 6pak. It isn't a six pack. In the same add he calls it a 6 pack and a 4 bbl. I don't even know how these guys stay in business. Every time I start reading the info on a high dollar classic on ebay it's jsut a cut and paste from wikipedia with, at best, a minimal effort to describe the specific car in stock.
Looks as if you done what you could. I haven't had the best luck with that Cadillac MI site contact either in the past. It might be more fruitful to ask if anyone has had a positive experience with this site?

I have also sent complaints to carsforsale.com about obvious scams. The hosting site has been decent taking down ads that are questionable at best. So I have no reason to believe that they are just involved with scamming. But the Cadillac MI location? Again, I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone that has had a decent experience.

Stories about inspections. I went to look at an air grabber car. It was real, the owner said he had had it for over 35 years and when I got there he had a really nice house and garage. Car looked ok, but no mention in add or phone conversation some details; I found it missing parts from air grabber set up, basically just the hood left. I asked about air grabber set up, he said "hasn't bee working for almost 30 years and you can buy that stuff." I ask why, was the car incomplete when he got it? No, he says "all original only 70k miles." I press for more info, he says sold the complete air grabber set up to another guy years ago because he needed the money then. He said he bought the hood back about half a dozen years ago after the other guy let his car sit not running for years, but not all the parts there.

My observation about '70 or '71 air grabber set ups. For a totally complete set up with every part needed to make it correct, nice used around $6k, all new, over $10k.

Back to this car inspection; I check the engine for numbers, not original, he says he also sold the original engine years ago. The car drove really well, and a lot of them I tested didn't, but I didn't buy this one. As I said earlier, a lot can happen in 50 years.

Trying to find where I saw the ad,it was this week. I thought it was on Ebay. Might have been another site. it was at a dealer. I found it,check Craigslist,Boston Cars and Trucks for sale. Type in 1968,and the ad will come right up. It says the car is in Lexington Kentucky. It's a pretty car. 440 automatic car. Real Charger R/T.
Here it is. A beauty. No info about original equipment or RT status.

Last edited:
I'm thinking they just advertise it in most of the larger cities. It would be an elaborate scam,but it could be possible. The same place had a couple of other cars advertised on there as well. The price seems a bit below market for a 68 Charger R/T these days. It's a pretty car!

I'm thinking they just advertise it in most of the larger cities. It would be an elaborate scam,but it could be possible. The same place had a couple of other cars advertised on there as well. The price seems a bit below market for a 68 Charger R/T these days. It's a pretty car!
I figured it out right as you posted and edited mine. But yes agreed.

There's something about a 68 Charger in black!

170-DEF29-BC6-C-4-C34-9-A30-E8-BABFB31386.jpg

9f48315b74_640.jpg

4318a1f449_640.jpg

The 70 Dodge Coronet/Superbee/R/T is a love/hate car. People either love them,or hate them. Myself I love them,but Chargers are my number one Mopar. I always regretted not buying this one from a friend of mine,it was a nice car. I sold him a nice set of 15x7 rallye wheels and it changed the whole look of the car for the better! I ended up buying the A12 Superbee on the end of the row instead of the 70 Coronet R/T.

3987BF9F-417F-4F0E-8673-193D3F7DE64A.jpeg

7EA04359-02EB-4BB5-B83B-F4592BFD2CA6.jpeg

This beauty just came up. Asking 65k. Not original drive train with some repair and one repaint. Owner is actually forthcoming and communicative this time as well. Thoughts?

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back