• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Super Bee: Thoughts on this car for sale? And intro from Minnesota.

DynaBro

Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
First post. Hope I'm in the right subforum.

I've been watching the 1970 Super Bee market pretty closely for the last 10 years, including lurking this forum's for sale section, but it's hard to get a real handle on value anymore. Sometimes solid stuff goes low, sometimes roached stuff goes high, for reasons that don't always make sense (to me). I'm interested in your evaluation of this car and what you might notice in the photos I may have missed. I tried to get a dialog going with the owner but he was kind of short with me and just said he'd take $42K as it sits or $65+ after paint, and I don't even know if the guy is a painter himself or what.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/95977048

My novice opinion is it would take another $20K if not much more to get this into the sort of condition that warrants $50-60K, and it still wouldn't be as nice as the yellow 1970 R/T that was sold here in 2022, or any the 383 stuff posted for around $50K the last few years. I do love the drivetrain, the interior seems nice, it has all the options I'm after, and if it were back to the correct HEMI orange with the black C stripe I might have trouble backing myself off the ledge. But I'm not after a headache where it needs more work far outside of my abilities. And as it sits with a non-original drivetrain, some questionable patching in the floor boards, and previous owner (not current) having done the body work, I'm not sure it could EVER be worth $60. Maybe I am wrong.

Set me straight.

Additionally, I am located in Edina, MN and hoping to meet some knowledgeable MOPAR guys. I'd like to finally pull the trigger on a 1970 Super Bee, and am hoping to find a community where I can get a storage slot and help you guys with your projects and learn more about the cars from you. My dad was a Chevy guy and I've dreamed about a 1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack car with an N96 hood, the pistol grip shifter and go-wing since I was a kid but have very little experience even touching these beautiful machines. I know enough to know what I don't know but I'm willing to work.

Thanks.

Hard to put a value on a vehicle from pics....but from what I'm seeing, it isn't worth 42.....and welcome to the site. If you haven't already, go to the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself.

Welcome. It's not a bad looking car but really hard to tell in those faraway photos. I like the Six Pack, 4 speed and Ramcharger hood, too bad you couldn't get more info out of him.
Upside is they made over 1000 Six Pack Super Bees in 70 so there's lots of other ones out there.

Why would anybody paint an orange car purple? And then only the exterior. He is asking more than I would pay for it, even being a six pack car. If you are referring to that yellow 1970 that Don had for sale here, yes that was a nice car. I'm kind of surprised it took so long for him to sell it.

First post. Hope I'm in the right subforum.

I've been watching the 1970 Super Bee market pretty closely for the last 10 years, including lurking this forum's for sale section, but it's hard to get a real handle on value anymore. Sometimes solid stuff goes low, sometimes roached stuff goes high, for reasons that don't always make sense (to me). I'm interested in your evaluation of this car and what you might notice in the photos I may have missed. I tried to get a dialog going with the owner but he was kind of short with me and just said he'd take $42K as it sits or $65+ after paint, and I don't even know if the guy is a painter himself or what.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/95977048

My novice opinion is it would take another $20K if not much more to get this into the sort of condition that warrants $50-60K, and it still wouldn't be as nice as the yellow 1970 R/T that was sold here in 2022, or any the 383 stuff posted for around $50K the last few years. I do love the drivetrain, the interior seems nice, it has all the options I'm after, and if it were back to the correct HEMI orange with the black C stripe I might have trouble backing myself off the ledge. But I'm not after a headache where it needs more work far outside of my abilities. And as it sits with a non-original drivetrain, some questionable patching in the floor boards, and previous owner (not current) having done the body work, I'm not sure it could EVER be worth $60. Maybe I am wrong.

Set me straight.

Additionally, I am located in Edina, MN and hoping to meet some knowledgeable MOPAR guys. I'd like to finally pull the trigger on a 1970 Super Bee, and am hoping to find a community where I can get a storage slot and help you guys with your projects and learn more about the cars from you. My dad was a Chevy guy and I've dreamed about a 1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack car with an N96 hood, the pistol grip shifter and go-wing since I was a kid but have very little experience even touching these beautiful machines. I know enough to know what I don't know but I'm willing to work.

Thanks.
He was short with you because he suspected that you weren't the fool he is looking for

Nope, not even close to that $ amount, and that consignment place in Cadillac has their mark up on it

1691964418769.jpeg

Rare V Code car, that said if you want a drive to show car that might win an award and you have the money, buy another for one already done properly for $85k or more, and you'll save money.

If you want a rare car, over a decent less collectable car, that you can knock around in and work on it over time, then you might consider a car in this shape for $35k-$45k, and if this one really runs and drives well, then it might be a choice. Another alternative is to buy a 383 car and not a V Code car, and the money will go a lot further, maybe 1 1/2 times further.

I think it's a cool car,I would want to pay less than 40k,considering what is left to be done on it. $37.500 would be my offer on this car,V code 440 Sixpack,4 speed,Dana car with the N96 hood,and in a great color is really sweet. Yes a 383 car can be bought for less,but a 440 Sixpack car will always be worth more!

What makes you guys believe that's even the original fender tag and it is in fact a V code? Those aren't rivets holding that thing on.

What makes you guys believe that's even the original fender tag and it is in fact a V code? Those aren't rivets holding that thing on.
Phillips head screws are what the factory used to hold thew fender tags on B body Mopars in 1970.

isn't the skid plate on the K frame a 6 pack thing?
Any 440 Magnum/440 Sixpack car would have the skidplate K frame in it. They have the 6 quart oil pan on them. A Hemi car would also have the skid plate,but the K frame is different for a Hemi Car.

I looked for a few years, viewed a couple dozen cars and even flew across the country a couple of times to look at cars I didn't buy. I saw cars that had original engines, but were 4spds converted to autos, I saw lots of cars that didn't have the original engines and the air grabber was missing parts and not working, I saw 4spd cars where the Dana was gone. And a I saw a few that were nice and priced accordingly; too nice, trailer show cars, that I wouldn't want to drive like I do, and as much I drive the one I ended up getting.

Bottom line, decide on your budget, and buy the car that will make you the happiest.

Need to look at the trunk gutter and radiator support.
I agree,this car should be looked over carefully by someone well versed in Mopars. It does have a lot of the correct parts for a V code 4 speed 70 Superbee.

5th digit of the VIN should be a V and the VIN on the dash should match the VIN on the fender tag. The block stamping and body numbers should match as well. Personally, I think the $53K asking price is absurd considering the amount of work needed to make it presentable looking and mechanically sound.

Auto Transport Service
Back