• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 SuperBee whats the correct setup for Master cylinder

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
Bought the Bee about 5 years ago. I think chevy guys restored it. Got about 95% correct. So many things wrong. No fender tag/ build sheet. I have manual brakes with discs up front and drums on back. I believe they are 11 inch drums. Should the lines to the MC be on the fender side or engine side. thanks Dave
P1020783.JPG

The set up you have is correct for manual drum brakes, which is probably what your car came with. Manual disc brakes were not available on a B body. If your brake system works well, I would put a disc master on it with fender side outlets and call it done.

If his brake system works well... why change anything at all? My '69 Dart has manual brakes... stock OE master and front Wilborn disc conversion. Works just fine with no extra nonsense other than I 'm sure the residual valve has been removed from the front line port.

I would feel better with the bigger reservoir on the disc ,brake master. You could keep a close eye on the level, but if you have to add any fluid then you would have to remove some if you change pads. Not a big deal, if you remember to do it.

Not to be pedantic, but I think your positive battery cable should be routed along the fender and on the outer side of the master cylinder.

What disc do you have on front? OEM correct would have been KH single caliper with 10.98" rotors. Factory installed would have had 10" rear drum vice 11". Power Bendix with the Bendix disc MC with outlet towards engine for all but Hemi.

Not to be pedantic, but I think your positive battery cable should be routed along the fender and on the outer side of the master cylinder.
Wayne you forgot to point out Im missing the wire clip above the MC :lol:

The reason was about the MC went bad and the stores have no clue. My brakes worked great even with the bad MC

IMG_20230611_090620.jpg

never heard the word pedantic ....... had to look it up....... this place never fails to educate

never heard the word pedantic ....... had to look it up....... this place never fails to educate
Dam now you have me looking it up :BangHead: Pedantic is an insulting word used to describe someone who annoys others by correcting small errors, caring too much about minor details

Bought the Bee about 5 years ago. I think chevy guys restored it. Got about 95% correct. So many things wrong. No fender tag/ build sheet. I have manual brakes with discs up front and drums on back. I believe they are 11 inch drums. Should the lines to the MC be on the fender side or engine side. thanks DaveView attachment 1479596
First, that is a 4 wheel drum master cylinder.
Secondly, all NON Hemi master cylinders that I know of have the fittings faced the same direction that yours are now.
A 15/16" master cylinder for a manual front disc 73-76 Dart/Valiant is a great choice for your car.

Last edited:
First, that is a 4 wheel drum master cylinder.
Secondly, all master cylinders that I know of have the fittings faced the same direction that yours are now.
A 15/16" master cylinder for a manual front disc 73-76 Dart/Valiant is a great choice for your car.
I think he know that, his setup is not original. Think you need to look at Disc B body MC starting in 68. You will see that lines go to the engine. Except Hemi and 67 all motors with Disc had hemi MC. This has usually been covered in nauseum when folks are asking about OEM correct.

The one on the Bee had a bigger well in the back then the front. I believe drum has the same size in front and back.

The drum brake masters from 67 to 70 did have a bigger reservoir in the rear. I Don't know why, but they were all like that. I don't think it is big enough for disc brakes, without adding fluid as the pads wear, but I have been wrong before.

Auto Transport Service
Back