• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Superbird restoration

70RTCHARGER

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
This will be my first restoration thread on one of my cars and I’ll try and keep everyone updated!
Here is some history on the car, the Superbird was sold new at Hi Line Dodge in Havre Montana on July 14th 1970. I was able to talk with the original owner and he remembers seeing the car sitting on the show room floor. He said it sat for three months and one day he decided he had to have it so he bought the bright yellow bird! He owned the car for three months and ended up scratching the side of the car.. said he can’t remember exactly what happened it but he damaged the car and decided to paint the car midnight blue and he never installed the wing again it stayed in the trunk! Within a year the car was sold and onto the second owner..
The second owner was pretty rough on the car where people witnessed seeing the car driving through pastures and chasing cow! That wasn’t the worse of it though, he had a friend that had a car with out a starter so they used the Superbird to push start the car!! Needless to say the nose was damaged by doing this. The owner had a hard time making his payment so the car has been repod several times.. people started to realize the car would more then likely get taken away again so the next time the bank took the car back the third owner jumped on it right away and ended up buying the car and saving it from being destroyed by the second owner.
The third owner started to restore the car and started to buy NOS parts for the car in the mid 70’s. The nose was beyond repair or so he decided at the time and he called a local dealership in Hardin MT and was able to get a NOS nose! Supposedly it was one of the last nose that Chrysler had or it was the last one in this region. Chrysler ended up calling Savage (the third owner of the car) and bugged him about buying it back to where he said don’t ever call me again! Savage got all the body work done on the car and ended up painting the jams on the car back to the factory Lemon Twist yellow. I’m not sure why Savage sold the car but I know he was going through a divorce so maybe that caused it. I believe the car sold for around 5,000 and went to Wyoming in the early 80’s.
The fourth owner bought the car and never drove it! The car was running driving and he parked the car. He told me when he first bought the car he would tell people he owned the car but as time went on and the value of the cars went up he wouldn’t tell anyone about it and it more less became a urban legend..
Fast forward to 2018 I was building a 1969 Charger Daytona clone and I was on the hunt for a 70 Charger fender and not having a lot of luck after a couple months.. so a Facebook friend sends me a message saying he has a 70 fender he would sell me and if I’m interested he would be willing to sell me a 70 Charger R/T SE.. so I was really interested in finding out more about the charger so I made the 4 hour trip to meet him in person and check out the car and parts.. I ended up buying the charger fender and I also was able to buy an original trunk lid and trunk hinges from a real XX car. I told the owner I would buy the R/T SE but to do that the clone had to go sadly.. few weeks go by and the clone is gone so I’m going to buy the R/T SE charger. After I got the car loaded up the previous owner asked if I wanted to check out his first car (30’s Chevy sedan) so we got into a two car garage and check it out and beside the car is a pile of plastic sheeting and dry rock, kinda looked like something was barricaded. The owner looked at me and said “Mark aren’t you going to ask me what this is” and I said I honestly didn’t know if it was a car under there.. and his reply was “yea it’s my Superbird”.. I know my jaw hit the!! I couldn’t believe it! I finally found my dream car.. I ended up leaving that day in awe still in disbelief what just happened. A couple months go by and still in contact with the owner he decided he would sell me the car!! I couldn’t believe I had a chance at owning a real bird! I had to sell a couple mopars and my first Mopar (1970 Charger R/T clone).
I bought the car October 13th 2019, I bought a complete car that came with a lot of extra NOS parts almost enough for another wing car. Before I bought the car the last time it was started was in 2001ish. The numbers matching 440 fired right up and sounds perfect! The car still has its original 4 speed and Dana 60 with the 3.54 gears. I’m currently in the process of doing the body work and hopefully this winter the car will be painted and next summer it will be on the road and being enjoyed by my family.

6F8E00D5-D855-4535-A48E-272273558E15.jpeg

First picture is how it looked when I bought the car. The car never had its wing on it when the previous owner had it so it’s been off since the late 70’s!

3D98B780-76E4-4849-BDA5-3203ED7022BE.jpeg

The car has a NOS passenger fender on it and I had to drill the holes for the antenna and fender scoop

939EE001-443A-4230-BB09-0CC0FC1DB2B2.jpeg

Original ad from dealership for the car and original contract for the car from the dealership

BC2C260B-0657-46B3-838B-CF04669C02CB.jpeg 53E884A7-F562-48A0-8798-9F7BDF7E3FD7.jpeg

Some of the extra parts and NOS parts. Also have a NOS gas tank, back glass and extra wing

47F58297-B15D-4ACD-AA5C-4129B1DA794F.jpeg 318769C0-F09D-4F90-A2D5-A7C10B6E50F5.jpeg 91CF2218-FBF9-4253-AA2F-6EACF2B5D04C.jpeg 9C1B3044-D4AE-4915-91D6-48FEDE590FA5.jpeg F8261F08-42D3-4A43-A599-E3AD7417FBAB.jpeg 24B8220B-A56B-4F28-BA5D-01EFFF27B25B.jpeg D56B567E-D91E-41F0-B3FB-D146851B2C70.jpeg 8D2B1465-8D0E-42C4-B9F4-4624F8FF3D5D.jpeg

Amazing story. I have to ask where in Wyoming was this car? I lived in Wyoming (Thermopolis and Cody)almost my whole life. I thought I knew every car and every gear head in the state. I had never heard of a Superbird in the state.

Amazing story. I have to ask where in Wyoming was this car? I lived in Wyoming (Thermopolis and Cody)almost my whole life. I thought I knew every car and every gear head in the state. I had never heard of a Superbird in the state.

i know the owner wouldn’t want me to say the location but it’s not far from Cody Wyoming!

i know the owner wouldn’t want me to say the location but it’s not far from Cody Wyoming!
I understand I was just surprised there was one there. I tried chase down a 68 R/T charger my cousin had in Tensleep that he bought from one of the Wells boys. Never could find what happened to it. So that is why I am building a tribute to that car. Anyway I built a S.B. tribute about 10 years ago that I still have and love. Good luck with the restoration I will be following.

I understand I was just surprised there was one there. I tried chase down a 68 R/T charger my cousin had in Tensleep that he bought from one of the Wells boys. Never could find what happened to it. So that is why I am building a tribute to that car. Anyway I built a S.B. tribute about 10 years ago that I still have and love. Good luck with the restoration I will be following.

Awesome! What color is your clone, do you live in the black hills area? I live in Gillette so I’m sure I’ll make it to one of the Mopar shows In Rapid at some point.

Awesome! What color is your clone, do you live in the black hills area? I live in Gillette so I’m sure I’ll make it to one of the Mopar shows In Rapid at some point.
Yes I live outside of Keystone nine miles from Mt. Rushmore. This is my clone bird. I painted it a custom color because I had too many blue cars. But it is over 10yearsold now and thinking about a full restoration and back to its original B5 blue. The truck next to it is ours also (too many blue cars)
DSCN1759.JPG

Yes I live outside of Keystone nine miles from Mt. Rushmore. This is my clone bird. I painted it a custom color because I had too many blue cars. But it is over 10yearsold now and thinking about a full restoration and back to its original B5 blue. The truck next to it is ours also (too many blue cars)
View attachment 875432

Awesome!! Looks very nice, hopefully with my extra wing parts I’ll build a clone or save a rough bird if I find one. I love blue mopars so I think it would look good. I sold my B5 blue charger to get my bird

FEEB8476-5CEA-4F26-9213-D36450CD4060.jpeg

Very cool. If you get into a bind with your build give me a shout. Although there are a lot of people on this site in the know about these cars I built mine from scratch never seeing one up close. And I have a good friend who is one of the best authorities out there on the S.B.
Thanks for sharing
Don

Very cool. If you get into a bind with your build give me a shout. Although there are a lot of people on this site in the know about these cars I built mine from scratch never seeing one up close. And I have a good friend who is one of the best authorities out there on the S.B.
Thanks for sharing
Don

Sounds great Don thank you!!

Amazing find, and with all the NOS and extra parts. Amazing cars need great restorations. I hope to watch this one be done closer to perfect than when they were new. Best wishes for a superior job.

Auto Transport Service
Back