• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-74 Bucket Seat Question

Do you remember what we talked about headliners at Moparts ? I think here we found another difference now between Plymouth and Dodges. The 71 seatcovers last longed 1 year more on Plymouths than Dodges.

and yes definitelly all B bodies buckest got hard back panels... even Cordobas and Charges/dobas based are in that way

So hard back on the B's through 78? Goooood to know. A and E's went soft in 73.
Be nice if someday we could sit down over a cold one and vist a spell. Your Dodges and my Plymouths. I've had several Dodges but been a 71/2 Plymouth man mostly.

Are you sure about tracks differences ? a friend of mine switched on his 72 buckets from 71 to 73 couple of times and never advertised a difference

( Dunno if Magnums also got hardbacks, maybe lates Dobas didn't got them but I'm sure first ones did )

Are you sure about tracks differences ? a friend of mine switched on his 72 buckets from 71 to 73 couple of times and never advertised a difference

( Dunno if Magnums also got hardbacks, maybe lates Dobas didn't got them but I'm sure first ones did )

Nope not sure. Have a couple sets that are just like my 71/2's but backwards. Same measurments all around but the channel is backwards.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll get some pics

I'm not very familiar with B-Body bucket seats. I have owned E-Bodies in the past with bucket seats and the seat height seemed normal to me (I am 5' 10"). I recently sat in a 1971 Charger with supposedly factory buckets seats that had "Legendary Interior" seat covers on them. Two things I noticed immediately, that were quite different than my Challengers. First, the seat was so low, that I felt like I was sitting in a hole. My eye level being low in relation to the dash pad. Second, was the seat pan felt excessively SOFT and MUSHY when I sat down in the seat (both driver and passenger seats were like this). I am not a heavy guy either, only weight about 155 lbs. I'm guessing that the seats were at least 1" to 2" lower than I would expect them to be.

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if the seats in this Charger have E-Body tracks on them.. Should the seat height be equal, if the correct tracks are used, on both 1971 E and B body cars (as in the height of the seat in relation to the top of the dash pad)?

Last edited:
72-74 E-Body buckets have soft backs with no plastic cover and just a small hinge cover. 72-76 A-Body seats would be the same.
One piece back started mid 71 as stated.
Soft back started 73 ALL models.
71/2 B's have common foam
70B foam is the same as A-body
70B tracks 70B only.
71/4B and E tracks will work in either but B tracks are about 1" taller or so.
70/4E and 71/4B have the same frame.
70B & A-body frames are alittle different than the others so I've been told over the years but have not compaired for myself.
I do have a nice set a 71 A buckets and several sets of 71/2B and 70/2E's. I'll be checking for myself when I re-cover the A's.

Hey Nacho while on the subject, could you or anyone else post pics of your 73/4B bucket seat tracks? Most of the 73/4B's that I've had were bench seaters. The 73 SSP that I sold to Hotwheels Jr. had buckets but all my pictures of it are lost in my crashed hard drive. I have what I think must be 73/4B tracks. The same, but different, than my 71/2B's.

Do you have a pair of 1971 Roadrunner bucket seats with rails? I prefer black. I live in Long Beach

yearrrrs ago i pulled a set of buckets from a 73 Challenger that was in a Youngstown salvage yard called Schulte's, to put in a 71 Charger bench seat car. If i remember they fit alright.

Hi folks, hoping you can help me identify these bucket seats for me. They came in an old VW bus I bought last year.

I currently don't own a Mopar but used to have a 1969 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It was a neighbors car back in my home state of Wisconsin, pretty original but needed a bunch of work. My father and I got it restored and I drove it in high school.

Anyway, my assumption is that they are Mopar or for a Dodge Van? I took off the ID tag off the back of one of them

Thanks - Nate

DC8C2510-3501-471F-8BA9-E5AD931A2CEE.JPG 7A64450D-97BB-4C87-A414-8CBD3FD57489.JPG 8B39B88B-A33B-473F-A57E-053B98BF3CA9.JPG

Looks kinda "ford-y".

Experts,

Is there a difference in 71-74 Charger, Challenger and Cuda front bucket seats? I ask because I'm looking for a set of front bucket seats to finish a 71 Charger father/son project. I am finding front buckets for 72-74 Challengers and Cuda's but none for Chargers which prompted my concern. Any assistance is greatly appreciated guys!
If ever find some, hook me up with a lead if you can, I need interior for my 73 Charger SE,

Hey Nacho while on the subject, could you or anyone else post pics of your 73/4B bucket seat tracks? Most of the 73/4B's that I've had were bench seaters. The 73 SSP that I sold to Hotwheels Jr. had buckets but all my pictures of it are lost in my crashed hard drive. I have what I think must be 73/4B tracks. The same, but different, than my 71/2B's.
I'll take em if they are, if you're willing to part with em..

Auto Transport Service
Back