• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger project

Hmmm70

Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been a Mopar fan for the better part of my 50 years. First vehicle was a '76 Dodge 1/2 ton, short bed, two tone green with white top. First love, for sure. Then had a '70 sport satellite with a mildly build 440/727 combo, repainted E5 rallye red, new interior. Was a very nice car. Sold for $2400 after being on the market for months. Wow, that hurts to think about.
Next was a '76 Aspen R/T with a stout 340. Also long gone. Have a '99 ram 2500 with 500k on it. Love that truck, and a black/white stripes 2009 challenger my wife has pretty much claimed. Never seen snow and rarely rain here in Michigan.
A gentleman and his son, not far from me, bring cars up from Texas now and then, don't list them for sale, just put one in the yard with a sign now and then. I drove by a few times before stopping to look at a 1971 charger, 318, column shift automatic. From Texas, so paint is pretty well gone, interior crazy brittle. Vinyl top off as well. Seats from something distinctly non-mopar, I'm guessing. Rust is limited to a-pillars and driver's toe box on floor pan. Undercarriage, trunk, remainder of floor is amazingly clean. 318 rebuilt to stock as well as brake system. Runs and drives excellent.

Well, I fell in love with this (not going to sell this one!) and bought it. Clean Michigan title in hand. Here's a few pictures of it in as-found condition. A-pillars are going to be fixed next weekend as well as the floor pan. Original carpet and under padding, which pretty well had disintegrated, was removed I'm the last couple of days as well as the non-original front seats (split bench, held in with two bolt apiece), and the matching rear seat (held on with bubblegum and a prayer).
Floor pan in really in nice shape. Wish the foot area didn't have rust/pinholes. Cleaned it with angle grinder and wire wheel and it felt solid, but doesn't look like it, so better safe than sorry.
This car is mine, and won't be a mistake sell like in the past, so I'm going to make it something I'm hopefully proud of. Originally B5 blue, blue interior, going to end up green go with white top and white interior, black stripes/hood bulge.
This forum is an amazing wealth of knowledge and real-world guidance. I look forward to getting to know you all better as time progresses. I'll post updates as they go. Hopefully most of you will like the direction it's going. Any suggestions and feedback, positive or negative, are more than appreciated.

-Pete in Michigan

Snapchat-2049223500.jpg

Snapchat-725692699.jpg

7827.jpeg

Snapchat-143817953.jpg

Snapchat-2005174641.jpg

7829.jpeg

7828.jpeg

I like my '71 Real nice driving car once I upgraded the torsen bars and added sway bars.

Looking forward to seeing your build! Solid start.

3rd gen Chargers rock, you can build your car any way you want. Drive the wheels off and get a great return on your labor of love.

Keep everyone here updated on your progress and please post lots of pictures. There is a tremendous amount of firsthand knowledge and experience here so you have help if you need it.

IMG_0672.jpeg

DSCF9006.jpeg

DSCF9007.jpeg

DSCF9014.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

Hi. What diameter torsion bars did you go with? Where did you source the sway bars from? Nice handling is a higher priority than high-horsepower on this build, esp with the plan to keep the 318 in place.
I like my '71 Real nice driving car once I upgraded the torsen bars and added sway bars

3rd gen Chargers rock, you can build your car any way you want. Drive the wheels off and get a great return on your labor of love.

Keep everyone here updated on your progress and please post lots of pictures. There is a tremendous amount of firsthand knowledge and experience here so you have help if you need it.

View attachment 1487768

View attachment 1487769

View attachment 1487770

View attachment 1487771

View attachment 1487772
Thanks for the kind welcome. Neat looking car. I like the stance.

Welcome from the central coast of Cal. Nice project to start with there! On sourcing the bars, you have Firm Feel Inc, Hotchkis, Bergman Auto Craft, Sway Away and PST. Bergman[ BAC over on the rh side of your screen] and PST[ same area] are both sponsors here.

Well, the 11 year old and I tackled the floor pans today. I manned the wire brush, she the vacuum. Pans and tunnel look pretty good. One small hole in rear driver's pan, towards the top front. Odd spot. All metal around is quite solid, with factory paint on it still. I sure don't want to replace the front pans due to the toe sections, but the drivers side has a few pinholes. She was a big help. Probably be her car some day anyway, so good she has her hands on it at this stage.
KIMG0243~2.JPG
KIMG0253~2.JPG
KIMG0264~2.JPG
KIMG0265~2.JPG
KIMG0244~3.JPG

Welcome from the central coast of Cal. Nice project to start with there! On sourcing the bars, you have Firm Feel Inc, Hotchkis, Bergman Auto Craft, Sway Away and PST. Bergman[ BAC over on the rh side of your screen] and PST[ same area] are both sponsors here.
Thanks for the info. Would prefer to give business to sponsors of the site, all other things being equal.

FFI and BAC are both heavy duty Mopar companies. You won't get the deer in the headlights look when you ask questions.

Hi. What diameter torsion bars did you go with? Where did you source the sway bars from? Nice handling is a higher priority than high-horsepower on this build, esp with the plan to keep the 318 in place.
I just used the Mopar 0.960" Bars. I think Mopar called them street handling? One step larger than the factory HD bats used on the R/T.
The sway bars were from PST, as were the poly bushings / front end rebuild kit. Funds were tight back when I did this so it got the KYB shocks.
The better suspension did show that the stock 14" wheels / tires needed to be upgraded. Originally just put 15x7" rims on and it was good on the street.
When I started doing more drag racing, I put the 15x10" rims on the back and narrower 15x5 on the front.
My '71 came with factory power front disc / rear drum brakes which have worked fine.

I just used the Mopar 0.960" Bars. I think Mopar called them street handling? One step larger than the factory HD bats used on the R/T.
The sway bars were from PST, as were the poly bushings / front end rebuild kit. Funds were tight back when I did this so it got the KYB shocks.
The better suspension did show that the stock 14" wheels / tires needed to be upgraded. Originally just put 15x7" rims on and it was good on the street.
When I started doing more drag racing, I put the 15x10" rims on the back and narrower 15x5 on the front.
My '71 came with factory power front disc / rear drum brakes which have worked fine.
Sounds like a good set up. Did you replace your leaf springs as well?

Welcome, nice project. I found this 71 and got her back on the road as a driver for now. She's been setting for 30+ years when I found her.
20211206_162450.jpg
20230520_114600.jpg

Nice purchase!!!! Driver's pan looks REALY good, better then most & better then my 72's was (Ziebart undercoating saved mine) up here in Philly PA area. 20151211_145957.jpg20170730_172717.jpgCheck inside c-pillar, you can't sand it well, but slop tons of converter then prime & paint, will save your paint job on outside.

20140222_193801.jpg
Typical driver's floor!! Again, nice car!!

20230610_162955.jpg
Mine.
Nothing wrong with a muscled-up small block LA motor either.
KEEP US POSTED!!

Nice purchase!!!! Driver's pan looks REALY good, better then most & better then my 72's was (Ziebart undercoating saved mine) up here in Philly PA area. View attachment 1488268View attachment 1488269Check inside c-pillar, you can't sand it well, but slop tons of converter then prime & paint, will save your paint job on outside.

View attachment 1488271
Typical driver's floor!! Again, nice car!!

View attachment 1488272
Mine.
Nothing wrong with a muscled-up small block LA motor either.
KEEP US POSTED!!
Nice looking car JDmac. The drivers area isn't terrible, but in wire wheeling it I am not hitting much metal, just rust. Worried it will be a weak area of I just do a rust encapsulation on it. The underside is great, still intact undercoating.

Yes drivers floor, replace it where needed,

Encap I was refering to was C-pillar insides, SHOULD be only surface rust, hard to get to for sanding.

Yes drivers floor, replace it where needed,

Encap I was refering to was C-pillar insides, SHOULD be only surface rust, hard to get to for sanding.
Good advice. I'll take a look and see how it's looking, then will treat it for sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back