• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 GTX. It's a brave new world for me

BUSHMASTER

Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
In warren Michigan just outside of Detroit. 44 married with 5 kids. Wife grew up messing with cars with her father, but is not a pro by any means. My father bought a 1971 GTX and 1971 Roadrunner about 10 years ago. The Roadrunner was cruise ready. The GTX was a shell that he and I were going to fix up in our "spare" time. Needless to say we never got the spare time and now my father retired and moved out of state. I am not a mechanic. I didn't really grow up wrenching or really paying much attention to cars. Now I am learning as I go and paying for the stuff I can't do. Getting pretty close to completed. I need to finish the interior and do the exhaust. The car was painted 10 years ago when we first got it but it is rougher than I would like it to benow.

Welcome from Weeki Wachee Florida! Show some pics. That's one of my all time favorite Mopars.

Welcome from Buffalo NY. One of my toys that's been 30 years in the works is a '71 Satellite Sebring Plus that had ac, power discs, 727 and 383. 20 years ago it was completely disassembled, stripped, epoxy and zinc chromate primed and everything painted but the outside. Then came kids and a new job and activations with the Army, such is life. I did find time to build a 510hp 383 based 360 small block and 727 to make a few passes at the local 8th mile over the years. Enjoy your experience.

Welcome from Buffalo NY. One of my toys that's been 30 years in the works is a '71 Satellite Sebring Plus that had ac, power discs, 727 and 383. 20 years ago it was completely disassembled, stripped, epoxy and zinc chromate primed and everything painted but the outside. Then came kids and a new job and activations with the Army, such is life. I did find time to build a 510hp 383 based 360 small block and 727 to make a few passes at the local 8th mile over the years. Enjoy your experience.

Thanks for the welcome and thank you for your service brother

Welcome from down the road in Farmington.

Welcome to the site! Sounds like a great car. Share some pics when you get a chance!

Welcome to FBBO from warm & sunny NorCal Sierra's

photos of the GTX & RR would be nice to share here too...

pic of gtx.png
Welcome to FBBO from warm & sunny NorCal Sierra's

photos of the GTX & RR would be nice to share here too...

yea I am on work pc. I will have to email them to myself and then add them. Had a lot of them on my old phone but broke it. Lost most of the pics I took of work in progress. Can take a few now, but car is really dusty right now at shop.

Welcome to FBBO from sunny SoCal. I’m a GTX owner too - so I’m partial to them.

What year? Got any tips about the exhaust? I am going to have mine done shortly.
My GTX is a 68 that I’ve had for 46 years. Past 5years I’ve refreshed it from top to bottom. Front to back. I bought my exhaust from Summit because they had the whole package at a reasonable price. I have ceramic coated hooker Super comp headers backed up with flow master American Thunder exhaust. The fitment was good with no banging or tube adjustment needed. They don’t drop right in like TTI supposedly do but they cost half the price too. The 440 stroked to a 494 sounds sufficiently mean and has a good threatening Mopar sound. I’m happy with the whole package. From front to back. I would do it again. The one issue is how the headers wrap around the starter which is an age old problem for the 440/starter/header relationship. I bought a power master high torque mini starter from Summit as well. Doesn’t relieve the fitment too much but that starter supposedly resists heatsoak. Does this info answer your question?

My GTX is a 68 that I’ve had for 46 years. Past 5years I’ve refreshed it from top to bottom. Front to back. I bought my exhaust from Summit because they had the whole package at a reasonable price. I have ceramic coated hooker Super comp headers backed up with flow master American Thunder exhaust. The fitment was good with no banging or tube adjustment needed. They don’t drop right in like TTI supposedly do but they cost half the price too. The 440 stroked to a 494 sounds sufficiently mean and has a good threatening Mopar sound. I’m happy with the whole package. From front to back. I would do it again. The one issue is how the headers wrap around the starter which is an age old problem for the 440/starter/header relationship. I bought a power master high torque mini starter from Summit as well. Doesn’t relieve the fitment too much but that starter supposedly resists heatsoak. Does this info answer your question?

Yes. Thank you very much

Auto Transport Service
Back