• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 gtx rocker molding alternative

racerkilla

Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
So I have searched high and low for 1971 gtx rocker moldings. I want to add them to my 71 roadrunner. Only ones I have come across have been 1k plus or damaged. I did some research and a 70 gran coupe cuda have the same molding other then they are shorter and didn't screw holes mounted down the entire length.

In Carlisle I was able to buy four full sets of the cuda rocker moldings for a 1/5 of the price of one set of gtx ones if you can even find them for under a 1000. Bought as many as I could so had spares to mess with but actually made them out of one set plus one spare

I ended up measuring and cutting each rocker molding right at the fender/rocker gap and at the same angle as the end of the rocker molding. I then took one spare molding and cut the end off each side to give me the extension pieces. I drilled and counter sunk holes the length of the molding as well. I used a piece of abs plastic that slides into each piece that will keep them lined up.

They fit very nice and the seam is almost unnoticeable. Next is polishing and some new paint on them.. I have soaked a few pieces in oven cleaner to remove the anodizing so I can polish them.. So to anyone that wants a set and can't find a set this idea does work even though I had a number of people say yea right or good luck with that idea

IMG_2951.JPG IMG_2952.JPG IMG_2953.JPG IMG_2958.JPG IMG_2961.JPG IMG_2964.JPG IMG_2965.JPG IMG_2947.JPG IMG_2949.JPG IMG_2950.JPG

hey that is good enough for me have a 72 RR myself will start looking for some up here . thanks for idea

Auto Transport Service
Back