• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-Body Pillar Post Molding

JoePapa

Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
How do I replace pillar post moldings?

IMG_0612.jpeg

Do I remove the metal molding piece that runs along the windshield behind the sun visors and the metal molding piece that runs along the roof line?

Will removing of these pieces mess up the headliner?

How does the roof line metal piece come off? There is one screw near the front by the tab of the pillar post molding and another screw in the back seat. Do you remove these two screws and pull the piece off?
The
IMG_0028.jpeg

Yes, yes and no. As for the roofline piece, I believe if you remove that front screw the piece will drop down enough to get the pillar molding in. If not, then remove the back screw and off it comes.

Yes, yes and no. As for the roofline piece, I believe if you remove that front screw the piece will drop down enough to get the pillar molding in. If not, then remove the back screw and off it comes.
Thank you.

Windshield garnish mldg: remove screws at ends, loosen inboard screws, allow mldg to drop. If you need it completely removed, no problem, won't affect headliner. Lining up screws is mldg is removed is easy if locations are marked with masking tape or an awl is used to locate 1st hole.
Side garnish has barrel clips that hold it to a channel, just tug down carefully.
OEM pillar moldings had a small tab at the dash so they fit better - aftermarket parts don't have those tabs. In either case they can be a bit fussy, but not a big deal.

And be careful with the tab that slides under the front of the finish molding (roof/headliner area), because they love to break off.

Windshield garnish mldg: remove screws at ends, loosen inboard screws, allow mldg to drop. If you need it completely removed, no problem, won't affect headliner. Lining up screws is mldg is removed is easy if locations are marked with masking tape or an awl is used to locate 1st hole.
Side garnish has barrel clips that hold it to a channel, just tug down carefully.
OEM pillar moldings had a small tab at the dash so they fit better - aftermarket parts don't have those tabs. In either case they can be a bit fussy, but not a big deal.
Cool! Thank you.

This project is lingering. I can not get the side garnish molding to pop loose. Any ideas on how to get it to pop free from the barrel clip? I am worried there is dried head liner glue involved. That is a complete guess. I dont want to snap the molding though.

This project is lingering. I can not get the side garnish molding to pop loose. Any ideas on how to get it to pop free from the barrel clip? I am worried there is dried head liner glue involved. That is a complete guess. I dont want to snap the molding though.
The clips really grip - I start at the front and have often had to give the garnish a pretty scary yank down. A trim clip tool is handy.

Auto Transport Service
Back