• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Charger Electrical Issue

Thanks for all the info.

my dash cluster is the SE, so it is different. I drew a diagram of it as I took it apart. I replaced all the bulbs and the flasher relay while I was in there. I think I have it pretty much ready to go back in, but I’m going to have to wait for my wife to help. Getting the dash back in is a bear. I also have a torn labrum in my right shoulder, so it just isn’t going to happen with one wing.
I guess I will see how it goes when I wire it back up. I’ll let y’all know.

Well, I got the dash in and got her all connected. Connected the battery and waited to see smoke, sparks and flames. There was nothing to note, so I tried to fire her up and she started right up. I let it idle for a bit and monitored the situation. No noticeable issues, so that’s good. I still need to connect the accessories and put the rest of the bolts in the dash and steering wheel. Crossing my fingers that will go well.

Thanks for getting me this far

I don't get it.. dash cluster is SE? So is the round gauges? That's actually called Rallye cluster ( even it was installed on SEs too ). Standard cluster is called the rectangular speedo :)

Good to know everything seems to be working now.

I don't get it.. dash cluster is SE? So is the round gauges? That's actually called Rallye cluster ( even it was installed on SEs too ). Standard cluster is called the rectangular speedo :)

Good to know everything seems to be working now.

I have a bunch to learn about the nuances of the different options that were available on these cars. I guess that comes with time.

sure, not a problem

there are 4 cluster ( we can call 5 maybe ? ) options for all 71/74

Standard:
s-l640.jpg

Standard without woodgrain ( just a bezel diff )

tablerocharger71.jpg

Rallye, three of them

Basic:
71-74-b-body-rallye-cluster-5-jpg.276799

with clock:
71-74-ralley-cluster-clock-jpg.291416

with tach ( same than clock but the tach in place of the clock )
1971-cluster-1-jpg.212608

I can provide a lot of details more, such as which gauges interchange between them ( i.e.: small gauges on the Rallye versions changes ), bezels, lenses, 120 vs 150 speedos on Rallye clusters depending on year and setup etc... but these pretty much sums all the important things

sure, not a problem

there are 4 cluster ( we can call 5 maybe ? ) options for all 71/74

Standard:
s-l640.jpg

Standard without woodgrain ( just a bezel diff )

tablerocharger71.jpg

Rallye, three of them

Basic:
71-74-b-body-rallye-cluster-5-jpg.276799

with clock:
71-74-ralley-cluster-clock-jpg.291416

with tach ( same than clock but the tach in place of the clock )
1971-cluster-1-jpg.212608

I can provide a lot of details more, such as which gauges interchange between them ( i.e.: small gauges on the Rallye versions changes ), bezels, lenses, 120 vs 150 speedos on Rallye clusters depending on year and setup etc... but these pretty much sums all the important things

Thanks again. That is all really good info.

Auto Transport Service
Back