• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Charger SE 440 Return fuel line?

Kobrak

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
I need a bit of help on figuring out this fuel line that was blocked off when I received the car. I believe it is the return line for the original 4 barrel setup? The car has a six pack setup on it and I'm really not sure at this point if they ever had it running with the setup. I have the engine out of the car right now rebuilding it and I'm starting to clean up the engine bay and I noticed this. Should I worry about it? Let me know, thanks!! Kraig

20240224_100651[1].jpg

20240224_100657[1].jpg

That armored cut and capped line appears to be vent line to me. Regardless, IMO you should have a 1/4 return and a 3/8 fuel line with a six pack. Mopar started that in 68 to alleviate problems with vapor lock on the 440 and Hemi cars. I believe they followed thru in later years as well.

OK, thanks! I find it interesting they have the vent line coming all the way up into the engine bay?

OK, thanks! I find it interesting they have the vent line coming all the way up into the engine bay?
California emission six pack cars, and others, have a vent line in the engine bay for the center carburetor fuel bowl vent

PurpleBeeper, from the tank? Now that I think about it, the car does have the charcoal canister yet. Labeled ports are DIST VAC, PVC, FUEL TANK (is this for that vacuum return line? and CAR BOWL.

When I got my Charger from its previous owner it had the same thing, a screw inside the hose with a clam around it. Drove it like that for many years. Now during my resto just figuring out what to do with it.

If it's a factory 440 car then it came with a 1/4" return line. The return is fed from the filter/Separator that looks like this.

IMG_3570.JPG

T2R9, it is a factree 440 car. I’ll have another look for that fuel filter/separator. Is it located in the engine bay? That would make sense as that is where the line is.

T2R9, it is a factree 440 car. I’ll have another look for that fuel filter/separator. Is it located in the engine bay? That would make sense as that is where the line is.
If the separator was still there, it would have been mounted on the front fuel pump bolt.

This a '72, first year for the charcoal canister. That vent line would go all the way up to the charcoal canister, front right corner of engine bay next to radiator. Many people cap that line as they did on my 72, but the evap design should really be restored to factory design. It causes gas tank venting issues if you don't. Ask me how I know.

This a '72, first year for the charcoal canister. That vent line would go all the way up to the charcoal canister, front right corner of engine bay next to radiator. Many people cap that line as they did on my 72, but the evap design should really be restored to factory design. It causes gas tank venting issues if you don't. Ask me how I know.
Correct to a point. 440 cars had 3 fuel lines to the rear. 3/8" main fuel line, 1/4" return line and 5/16" EVAP line to the canister. Non 440 cars had a 5/16" main fuel line and a 5/16" EVAP line.

Auto Transport Service
Back