• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Charger with 400 stroker

mach123

Local time
8:03 PM
Reaction score
Well guys/gals I have a 1972 charger with a stock 318 with a auto trans and will be building a stroker from a 400 block, with a 727 trans hoping to get over 500hp to 600hp. I just bought a 400 with A727 B with 52,000km for 200 bucks and was running, I started to strip down the 400 and seperated tranny and block today, in such a rush that I still have not taken out of truck yet, lol I hope to pick up a engine stand tomorrow so I can start draining the engine, If there is anybody that knows for stuff to NOT do while taking it apart chime in. It was out of a 74 charger SE and seems to be a good block as it has the extra webing on the sides, I will post post pics as I go and thanks in advance for any advise.
Mach123

Attachments

• DSCN2310.jpg
    DSCN2310.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 662
  • DSCN2304.jpg
    DSCN2304.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 593
Here are a few more old 318 and stroker one day 400

Attachments

• DSCN2283.jpg
    DSCN2283.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 585
new to be 400 stroker just starting to tear down. Hope to get engine stand tomorrow.

...and for those that question the fit, those are 75-77 front seats.

Really, well that god I'm not have all original charger, I should show more pics and see what other info I will get about the car I bought. Thanks

hi welcome to the site and enjoy your charger , keep us posted :headbang:

Thanks guys/gals if any. Yep it's got slappers on it, lol I hear waste of time and should come off. Well bought my engine stand today and will mount my new to me 400 engine on and start stripping it down, does anybody know of a good place to send my block to get done, nobody trust anybuiders here, I am located straight north of Great Falls MT about 9/10 hrs drive in edmonton Alberta or any in western canada they trust. I would ship it anyways, so if I am building a stroker with this 400 what parts can I get rid of, and a list of parts I can start looking for like plug wires, ignition stuff, etc, I plan on building a 500 to 572ci stroker 550/600 hp. Any places to research and or look for would be great, any do's and don'ts let me know. I have been reading lots about indy heads and seem like lots of good and bad about them, I also will be looking into edelbrook or comp. Thanks

]here is the new to me going stroker, well pics to large, once I figure out how to down size them I will post.

Thanks Ron 73

Should I stay away from a mechanical flat tappet cam for my build and stay with
hydraulic or what. Thanks

either or should be fine. with a mechanical, you will need adjustable rockers.... as always, look at the overall package, rear gear, tires diameter, cyl heads....and match the cam to the rest.
by the way, love the white interior

Thanks,

I can get that cam for 225.00 and to upgrade to a roller one is 800 us and is good for 50 more HP and another 50 trque about, hmmmm. This is a option

511/400 kit
cnc ported stealth allum heads
performer RPM intake
spe'd custom ground hydraulic flat tappet,or roller for extra 800.00

So what do people think, really would like to get 600+hp from this build. Thanks

These are my break down to get ready for the stroker. You like the work bench, lol

Attachments

• DSCN2712.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 505
  • DSCN2724.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 513
  • DSCN2696.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCN2717.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 486
Thx everyone. I also like WHT interior . It's missing to many original parts to worry about. I will be starting to look for parts again soon boys. Looking for a space to start it again....yahooo

See Jim at LaRoy engines, Challis ID. He's doing mine and very good. He's kinda close.

Traction bars under the leaf springs.
You can see the passenger side in the first pic.

Auto Transport Service
Back