• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Road Runner fuel pump spec's

Davison

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
A few years ago I installed a Delphi fuel pump for my 440-4bbl. It runs fine. No issues on how I drive it-mostly for causal drives or to car shows a few times a month. 60 mph tops. I brought the car in for it's annual checkup and the mechanic said he thought the pump pressure at 4.4 psi was too low. The 440-4 should have more like 5-7 psi. the car runs fine as it is. What's the group's opinion? Will I gain anything if I go to a higher rated fuel pump? If more is better, then how much is too much? How much will overpower the carb and flood it? Thanks.

I would think if you can accelerate, opening the secondaries of the carburetor, without falling flat or a major stumble, that it is fine as is. Obviously, too little fuel pressure will starve the carb on high load demand and two much pressure will overpower the needle and seat, resulting in flooding the carb and engine. This also depends on the carburetor on the car. I believe Carter carbs do not recommend more than 5 psig.
Ron

I would think if you can accelerate, opening the secondaries of the carburetor, without falling flat or a major stumble, that it is fine as is. Obviously, too little fuel pressure will starve the carb on high load demand and two much pressure will overpower the needle and seat, resulting in flooding the carb and engine. This also depends on the carburetor on the car. I believe Carter carbs do not recommend more than 5 psig.
Ron
Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. No stumble or hesitation at all. The carb is a 4 bbl Holley 4160 which would have been the original carb for the 440-4.

Auto Transport Service
Back