• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical fuel pump recommendations

Duckmanreno

Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a decent mechanical fuel pump? 383 4 barrel in my 69 Charger.
Backstory have had poor luck with one from Napa. Replaced it about 4 years ago. Project car so it isn’t driven now, but engine is started and run every few months. The rod that drives the fuel pump was also replaced.
Thanks

why fix if not broken?

I have always been a fan of Carter pumps
Super Street M6903 or Super Street/Strip M4862
Used the M4862 on my 472 Hemi Belvedere

Yes agree with above, im rebuilding mine as we speak with the rebuild kit from Mancini racing. Come to find out the rebuild kits for Mancini come from THEN AN NOW who specialize in rebuilding carter fuel pumps and many more designs.
There is talk about carters already on this forum Mechanical Fuel Pump 101

I put a Carter M6903 on my ‘69 383 4bbl last year.
It’s perfect for my application…

1702844508696.jpeg

if you run a high volume pump..... a better than stock hardened pushrod is required. otherwise the stiffer spring in the hv pump will wear down the pump pushrod fairly quickly.
it happened to me.

if you run a high volume pump..... a better than stock hardened pushrod is required. otherwise the stiffer spring in the hv pump will wear down the pump pushrod fairly quickly.
it happened to me.
"Better than stock!" Point me to where you can buy that...

I’ve asked ARP to make one. I encourage others to visit their site and submit the application on their form.

What carb are you running?
I have the original Carter AVS that came on the car. I
Forget the exact number.
I wasn’t so much needing a high performance pump, more frustrated with the failure of the one .

Thanks

Forget the exact number.
I wasn’t so much needing a high performance pump, more frustrated with the failure of the one .

Thanks

I have the factory avs and an unknown pump. My car has the vapor separator and there are two versions floating around. One has a bigger than stock return that lowers pressure.

Forget the exact number.

Thanks
You might be ok with an M3672 with a 4-5.5psi range suitable for your avs.

Auto Transport Service
Back