• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 SSP hood extension minor detail

Dibbons

Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
1972 SSP header panel minor detail

When I removed the panel in front of the hood (header panel/hood extension?) on my 72 Satellite Sebring Plus, I found in each corner on the fender a dab of some kind of body putty or body filler about the sized of a nickel. It was rock hard, an off-white color, and evidently the very corner of the hood extension was sitting on top of it. It was very, very hard and brittle, so I chipped it out by breaking it up, grabbing in with a pair of pliers. Now that the corner is painted I am ready to replace the hood extension. Does anyone know what that dab of "filler" in the corner originally was and if I need to replace it? Sorry for the almost insignificant question, but these forums are good to find out even the finest details of restoration. (I thought I saved a good size piece of this stuff when I removed it, but now I can't find it anywhere). See arrow in foto to find out the former location of this mystery stuff. It was on top at the tip of the arrow and also wrapped around the edge of the sheet metal and extended underneath about half an inch.

Attachments

• DSC00529.jpg
    DSC00529.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Was it not the same "seam sealer" that they used all over the car (see: inside the trunk - around the trunk pan)? That's what I would imagine it is that you are referring to.

It was hard like body filler (i.e. bondo), maybe it was not a factory placement but something a previous owner/shop slapped on there.

I'm guessing if it wasn't to fill a hole/seam it was used as some sort of buffer between two items to keep the paint from wearing through with vibration. Maybe dampen noise between the two panels.

Just a guess though.

Auto Transport Service
Back