• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 318 timing issue

Gregg DeGeorge

Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone working on a 73 318 mild cam fresh rebuild ,after first start up got motor running,broke in cam but can’t set the timing can’t find the Mark when engine is running.Damper is good if I turn it over by hand line up Mark ,number 1 is at top dead center,I have distribtor pointed to 1 one ,firing order looks good ,haven’t put a engine together in a long time but everything looks right ?Thanks for looking

Are you using an advance timing light? Is it set to zero?

We would mark the timing mark with chalk. Or, you should apply a timing tape to the damper.

We would mark the timing mark with chalk. Or, you should apply a timing tape to the damper.
Thanks I marked it with white paint,weird thing when it’s running I can’t retard the timing enough to even get on the marks ,thinking if I move the distribtor gear more to the right maybe that will bring it in now rotor points to 1 LH front

Auto Transport Service
Back